What did some famous leaders have to say about religion?

w1z4rd

Valued Senior Member
Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

Napoleon Bonaparte Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet

Thomas Jefferson I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature.

John Adams, 2nd President of the United States The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion.

Benjamin Franklin The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason

Karl Marx Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people

Thomas Jefferson, 1823 The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus…will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.

Napolean Bonaparte There must be Religion. Otherwise the poor would murder the rich.

Benito Il DUCA Mussolini Religion is man-made to assist in controlling the weak minded individuals because during times of atrocity and despair they feel strength in numbers

Friedrich of Bavaria (II?), 1200 CE The world has been deceived by three men: Moses, Jesus of Nazareth, and Mohammed.

44th President of the United States He who says "The United States is a Christian nation founded upon Christian principles and beliefs" is woefully ignorant of history. The United States was founded by Deists, and the puritan settlers were but one class of immigrant groups a

I suppose if your people are fighting about religion... they dont ask questions about where their share of the oil money is.
Pope Leo X It has served us well, this myth of Christ.

Interestingly of all those you quoted Marx is the most sympathetic to religion, although technically he was never a political leader (unless you mean the leader of a rather small and not very powerful party).

Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d. Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

Good quote: And pretty much true.

The leaders of this world do find religion useful. Well religion that has been appropriately modified to suit. But their use of religion has in a funny way allowed the Gospel message to be spread. So even in their disbelief they have acted to spread the good news, even if their religious elite agents did not really believe what they where spreading.

How wonderful that God can use even the evil for His greater purpose.

Those that spread the twisted message also spread the true message and they benefit in this world from the false message but never receive the eternal benefits that come from the true message.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

It is funny that the first quote goes on about religion being useful to the rulers and then gooes on to quote a bunch of rulers.

Besides if anyone believes in myths it is these people digging up obscure quotes. Seneca the younger said what?

Pope Leo X It has served us well, this myth of Christ.

The quote itself is a myth. For all anyone knows he could have been an Atheist though. :shrug:

Religion

I suppose if your people are fighting about religion... they dont ask questions about where their share of the oil money is.
The Bible says:

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and:bawl: to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Jesus Christ is my favorite famous leader. He said "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

I believe Him. :worship:

# Called or uncalled, God is present. - Carl G. Jung
# This is actually a statement that Jung discovered among the Latin writings of Desiderius Erasmus, who declared the statement had been an ancient Spartan proverb. Jung popularized it, having it inscribed over the doorway of his house, and upon his tomb.

Here is what I think about your leaders:

Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

istockphoto_155601_pain_and_agony.jpg

M*W: Jesus H. Christ. She's back!

You ought to thank God for His grace and kindness.

sandy,

Jesus Christ is my favorite famous leader. He said "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

I believe Him.
I wonder where the myth maker who wrote that phrase really came across it. Or perhaps he was so engrossed in his story telling that it might be his creation. Pity we don't know the names of the authors of the gospel myths.

Not sure though you are wise to follow a quote of a myth maker we don't know, who wrote these wonderful mythical stories.

The author is God Himself. :worship:

You follow the Bible and your life is a 10 in every aspect: mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, socially, romantically, etc...:D

Your life may not be perfect, but you have the peace and joy you can only know through Him. :bravo:

You ought to thank God for His grace and kindness.
M*W: He didn't exist, so he didn't give us any "grace" nor any "kindness." All the "grace" and "kindness" we gave to ourselves. You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Last edited:
my views of religion are in line with the book a stranger in a strange land unedited version

wONDER?

sandy,

I wonder where the myth maker who wrote that phrase really came across it. Or perhaps he was so engrossed in his story telling that it might be his creation. Pity we don't know the names of the authors of the gospel myths.

Not sure though you are wise to follow a quote of a myth maker we don't know, who wrote these wonderful mythical stories.
wow YONDER!

You will remain wondering because:

Proverbs 21:16 The man that wandereth out of the way of understandingshall remain in the congregation of the dead.

But

The author is God Himself. :worship:

You follow the Bible and your life is a 10 in every aspect: mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, socially, romantically, etc...:D

Your life may not be perfect, but you have the peace and joy you can only know through Him. :bravo:
Buts? Ifs?

First century christians were admonished,

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Back