What defines natural?

JetPilot

Registered Senior Member
Question: Since, in technically, all foods come from nature - what defines my orange juice as naturally flavored? Are there even any laws that define which ingredients are natural or artificial?

As far as natural and artificial flavors, one is extracted from sources where it already exists, the other is synthesized from chemical constiuents. In practice, they can be identical. Natural flavors should be avoided as much as artificial flavors, the name natural in this case is misleading.

Question: Since, in technically, all foods come from nature - what defines my orange juice as naturally flavored? Are there even any laws that define which ingredients are natural or artificial?

Most orange juice is not natural. Anything that came from nature that has been altered in anyway and passed off as the orginal product (like orange juice), it's not natural.

Real orange juice is from real oranages that have been grown in the wild.

I have no idea what true natural orange juice tastes like but I'm sure I'll never know.

We had an apple tree in out front yard when I was a kid... every year.. it grew apples naturally. However, I was afraid to eat one because all of them never come out like the apples you buy at the store. I always left those apples to the deer.

The label can say: "Contains 100% Natural Florida Orange Juice." But that doesn't mean that the total content is 100% natural Florida orange juice. Do you see the difference here? And how misleading adevertisements and labels can be.

Back