What Are We Thinking When We (Try to) Solve Problems?

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Researchers at Goldsmiths, University of London report in the journal PLoS ONE that they monitored action in the brains of 21 volunteers with electroencephalography (EEG) as they tackled verbal problems in an attempt to uncover what goes through the mind—literally—in order to observe what happens in the brain during an "aha!" moment of problem solving.

The researchers believed they could pin down brain signals that would enable them to predict whether a person could solve a particular problem or not.

In many cases, the subjects hit a wall, or what researchers refer to as a "mental impasse." The research team noticed an interesting phenomenon taking place in the brains of participants given hints: The clues were less likely to help if subjects had an especially high gamma rhythm pattern. The reason, Bhattacharya speculates, is that these participants were, in essence, locked into an inflexible way of thinking and less able to free their minds, and thereby unable to restructure the problem before them.

"People experience the "Aha!" feeling when they are not consciously monitoring what they are thinking," Bhattacharya says, adding that the sentiment is more of an emotional experience he likens to relief. "If you're applying your conscious brain information processing ability, then you're alpha." (Alpha brain rhythms are associated with a relaxed and open mind; volunteers who unwittingly solved problems showed more robust alpha rhythms than those who knowingly adjusted their thinking to come up with the answer.)

He says the findings indicate that it's better to tackle problems with an open mind than by concentrating too hard on them. In the future, Bhattacharya says, his team will attempt to predict in real-time whether a stumped subject will be able to solve a vexing problem and, also, whether they can manipulate brain rhythms to aid in finding a solution.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=what-are-we-thinking-when&ec=su_psych1

Link to original article:
Deconstructing Insight: EEG Correlates of Insightful Problem Solving
Simone Sandkühler1,2, Joydeep Bhattacharya1,

Last edited:
This is a most interesting topic!
Thank you for posting it.

He says the findings indicate that it's better to tackle problems with an open mind than by concentrating too hard on them.

This probably has to do a lot with expertise:
If you're an expert in something, you'll probably be better able to solve a problem in that field by not consciously focusing on it too much. If you'd start to think through the steps, it would slow you down. This is sometmes called choking.

In the future, Bhattacharya says, his team will attempt to predict in real-time whether a stumped subject will be able to solve a vexing problem and, also, whether they can manipulate brain rhythms to aid in finding a solution.

If you can deliberately bring yourself into a good mood, the quality of your thinking will improve. (By "good mood" I don't mean a Polyanna outlook, though!)

I have noticed that there is a connection between states of ill will, anger, despair and making logical fallacies.
This is only a casual observation so far, but it seems most fallacious reasoning is done when the person is under stress, angry, ill willed, despaired.

I enjoy learning about many things therefore I can use everything that I've learned about to use in trying to solve a problem. Sometimes something from another field altogether is a solution rather than something from the existing one that has a problem in it. Many times I rethink the solution to imagine something even better than I originally came up with and from time to time I can improve on solutions as time goes by due to new input from other sources.

That sounds like a similar principle as some musicians and artists smoking pot and using hallucinogens like LSD and 'shrooms to make them more creative. Those pharmaceuticals, in essense, remove the inflexible filter that keeps them from thinking a certain way.
They expand your mind and allow you to think outside the box but they (specifically LSD) also take a bit of a toll on your mind as well.

I always think of unconscious problem solving as the brain making analogies out of isomorphic problems, like it is all about structure. The conscious problem solving eliminate a lot of that, making things linear and logically systematic.
Some meaning I pulled out of Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance was to get a problem really active in my brain by a few hours of concentration or whatever, and then to totally let go and meditate to eliminate any consciousness and many times the problem has bubbled up and popped with an 'aha'

They expand your mind and allow you to think outside the box but they (specifically LSD) also take a bit of a toll on your mind as well.

I've paid a very high price for my "experimenting" ways. ;)

That sounds like a similar principle as some musicians and artists smoking pot and using hallucinogens like LSD and 'shrooms to make them more creative. Those pharmaceuticals, in essense, remove the inflexible filter that keeps them from thinking a certain way.

Right. I like Leonardo Da Vinci's way of putting it. He talked about the words on a page, you know they are all there but can only see one at a time. In our world of infinite things to make note of, there needs to be a filter to choose certain things. On LSD you look at everything like a child would, full of wonder and interest, constantly seeing the mundane objects of life in completely new light. It's good to loosen up the filter, but go too far and psychosis.

Right. I like Leonardo Da Vinci's way of putting it. He talked about the words on a page, you know they are all there but can only see one at a time. In our world of infinite things to make note of, there needs to be a filter to choose certain things. On LSD you look at everything like a child would, full of wonder and interest, constantly seeing the mundane objects of life in completely new light.

But the price you pay is very, very hard on your brain and people around you. :bawl:

This is a really great topic! I find when I'm charged with problem soving that if I just relax and calm down ideas just pop into my mind.
I'd be interested in finding out more.

Back