What are the issues atheists have with control?

lightgigantic

Banned
Banned
In response to the "control" issues of "god/religion" this quote from atheists is not unique

"It's useful indeed. Useful for controlling masses that wants to believe in something. A great political tool . I just don't buy it

Every time I read something like this I am confounded by the default position of such a person? In other words its quite obvious that we are controlled in a million different ways - not just socially in terms of civil law (if we have the desire to smash shop windows, there is a good chance we will be come "controlled" by the police) but also in biological ways (if we have the desire to eat 4kg of deep fried potato there is a good chance that we will be controlled by visiting the toilet profusely for the next week).

Obviously if we reject the control of something, we are accepting the control of something else - or in other words, in response to the above "not buying god", what else do you "buy" as a response to that decision?

Is it incorrect to state that atheists abhor the notion of being controlled?

Its been said that men prefer the jungle, while women prefer the zoo.

What does that tell you?

I could say the same thing about Catholic church controlling what should or shouldn't be done in our society ne. Athiest just chose not to come under control of unintangible and likely nonexisting being's supposed orders. We all have a sense of guilt of what's right and wrong, while laws made by government bodies are tangible usually in reasoning to maintain order. However the church (or any other eligion for that matter) themslves have always reached out to politic to try to forcibly push everyone to see things their way it just doesn't see eye to eye with most athiests. Please tell me why Catholic would always impose themselves on politic instead of just limiting what they preach to their followers?

In response to the "control" issues of "god/religion" this quote from atheists is not unique

Every time I read something like this I am confounded by the default position of such a person? In other words its quite obvious that we are controlled in a million different ways - not just socially in terms of civil law (if we have the desire to smash shop windows, there is a good chance we will be come "controlled" by the police) but also in biological ways (if we have the desire to eat 4kg of deep fried potato there is a good chance that we will be controlled by visiting the toilet profusely for the next week).

Obviously if we reject the control of something, we are accepting the control of something else - or in other words, in response to the above "not buying god", what else do you "buy" as a response to that decision?

Seems more from your examples that theists are unable to control themselves and are bent to extremes.

No. The fact that atheists say that religion is used for control and politics does not mean atheists fear control... Rather, that it shows just how bogus and man-made religion is in the first place - Far from the divine flowery picture theists like to paint.

I don't know, he may have a point. Believers tend to accept authority, since that's what they do when they accept the authority of a holy book or institution. Atheists tend to want to make decisions for themselves. If it's a choice between secular laws based on norms the majority of society can agree on, or religious laws based on an ancient book, I'll take the modern laws.

I don't know, he may have a point. Believers tend to accept authority, since that's what they do when they accept the authority of a holy book or institution. Atheists tend to want to make decisions for themselves. If it's a choice between secular laws based on norms the majority of society can agree on, or religious laws based on an ancient book, I'll take the modern laws.

I would scratch out the first three sentences. Practically everyone tends to accept authority. I agree with the sentiments of your last sentence.

Only morons come up with retarted excuses for their atheism. Try to advoid them is my only guess!

Personal experience. Most scientists tend to be atheists, and it's the nature of science to find things out based on observation and evidence rather than authority.

I could say the same thing about Catholic church controlling what should or shouldn't be done in our society ne. Athiest just chose not to come under control of unintangible and likely nonexisting being's supposed orders. We all have a sense of guilt of what's right and wrong, while laws made by government bodies are tangible usually in reasoning to maintain order. However the church (or any other eligion for that matter) themslves have always reached out to politic to try to forcibly push everyone to see things their way it just doesn't see eye to eye with most athiests. Please tell me why Catholic would always impose themselves on politic instead of just limiting what they preach to their followers?

this is kind of dealing with a separate issue (god existing/nonexisting) - teh thread was more based with the argument, commonly heard from atheists, that because it has some controlling element, that in itself is sufficient for the rejection of religion.

In other words there is something "unholy" for the atheist about the notion of a force controlling them in some way

which tends to land such persons in the default position of accepting the authority of their lust/envy/avarice/etc
Confidence statement.
Where is your reason / rationale for such a statement? Where is your evidence?

The default position for everyone SHOULD be their ability to reason.
Unfortunately there are some who decide to delegate that to their religion.

Some of us choose not to.

which tends to land such persons in the default position of accepting the authority of their lust/envy/avarice/etc

Oh come on. What makes atheists more lustful than the theists who indulge themselves in an entirely selfish fantasy which also transfers to politics and power.

teh thread was more based with the argument, commonly heard from atheists, that because it has some controlling element, that in itself is sufficient for the rejection of religion.

If any religion was rationally and evidently true, then I would not reject religion because it just happens to have more control. But the fact that religion is a means to control a population is just one thing that shows religion for what it is: A tool for greedy men to make people do what they want them to do.

In other words there is something "unholy" for the atheist about the notion of a force controlling them in some way

How vague. I still don't understand this fear of control you label atheists with. I am going to a pub tonight, and I must behave accordingly otherwise I'll be thrown out of the pub. I am fine with that. I must also behave in certain ways to avoid jail. I am fine with that.

But if you are talking about control relating to god... well, it's not a case of not wanting to be controlled by god, it's more a rational sense of: "well why the fuck should something that effectively doesn't exist decide where I put my penis?"

I object to control by alleged deities because it absolves the actual controller - the one who speaks for the deity - of accountability.

I do not want to be in the power of arbitrary authority that cannot be held to account for their decisions and commands. If that means I have "issues" with authority, so be it.

I think anyone would abhor being controlled by someone who used myth and superstition as their guidance, as would someone who used Astrology, Tarot Cards or an Ouija board as their guides.

Back