Well, at least it's not creationism: religion and freedom

I'm not sure what the question is ...? (And it's multiple choice.)

• This can't possibly help the Mormon cause.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • As long as he doesn't try to practice polygamy, there's no reason he can't teach it.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • They're seriously letting him have custody rights?

• I think that he wants more than one wife signifies a self-destructive aspect that is dangerous to a

• Um ... I'm just going to order pizza and pretend I didn't read that article

• (Other)

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Religious Freedom: For once it isn't Creationism

The classic American hot-button issue of religious freedom once again rears its head, but perhaps the current face will draw fewer to its banner. CNN reports that a custody issue has come to the state Supreme Court.
"Religious discussion in the home between a parent and a child has got to be the most sacred freedom-of-speech issue ever," Shepp said . . . .

. . . . A judge in May 2002 granted Roberts and Shepp joint custody, saying Kaylynne would continue being raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

But Common Pleas Judge Stephen P. Linebaugh prohibited Shepp from "teaching (Kaylynne) about polygamy, plural marriages, or multiple wives," at least until she is 18.

Shepp's belief in polygamy, Linebaugh wrote, "if he would follow through with it, would be not only illegal in Pennsylvania, but would also be immoral and illogical. The issue is not having such a belief, but his interest in pursuing that belief, which the testimony indicates he clearly would."
Now then, random notes around:

• In Florida, custody of a minor child has been given to an accused molester and convicted murderer because the alternative--giving custody to a lesbian--was distasteful to the judge.

• I wonder about Christians and Creationism; certes, this is a different arena--the home--but a state endorsement of the right to teach a ten year-old polygamy would do much to advance the cause of forcing schools to rewrite scientific standards into oblivion in order to accommodate Creationism as a science.

• While people make much out of the gun issue at the Waco conflagration, less-mentioned are the allegations of polygamy and child rape.

• Every few years, a "religious cult" turns up on 20/20 or some-such in which battles seem to rage about whether or not the second and latter generations can opt out of the community. For instance, I only know of the Bruderhof because of bad press they got ten years ago. Custody fights, nasty allegations, nothing on the scale of Scientology issues.

In the meantime, I came across this innocuous story, which documents a secondary account of religious discrimination by a public official. ;)

Seriously--people need to think thrice before asking a court to get involved in religion. Society can get scary, or as ... oh .... Well, I had a textbook once (in high school) that attributed to Noah Webster the quote, "Too much liberty is tyranny," but I confess that I cannot find an online reference, and so there goes that point. But seriously, society can get scary if "everyone gets everything they ever wished for."

Back