Watering plants with shaken water

Search & Destroy

Take one bite at a time
So I have all this free time while I wait for my investors, so I bought a few plants and a turtle and have been reading about and taking care of them. Right now my watering bottle is a water bottle with a hole on top I pierced with a knife. (Like what you would do when using a small bottle of oil.) I have started to shake the bottle vigorously for a few minutes before watering my plants - with the intention of getting the water really oxygenated. Can someone tell me if what I am doing is effective or if it is a waste of time?

It seems like a waste of time. Why do you think oxygenated water would be better for plants ?
I don't think the extra oxygen (which wouldn't much to begin with) even reaches the roots in the first place.

Do it when watering your fish instead.

It seems like a waste of time. Why do you think oxygenated water would be better for plants ?
I don't think the extra oxygen (which wouldn't much to begin with) even reaches the roots in the first place.

The main cause of death in house-plants is root rot. Root rot is caused because the roots are blocked by over-saturated soil. The oversaturation starves the roots of oxygen.

Water plants intake oxygen through their roots.

Please tell me if I'm wrong about this I just learned everything I know about plants a few days ago.

So I have all this free time while I wait for my investors, so I bought a few plants and a turtle and have been reading about and taking care of them. Right now my watering bottle is a water bottle with a hole on top I pierced with a knife. (Like what you would do when using a small bottle of oil.) I have started to shake the bottle vigorously for a few minutes before watering my plants - with the intention of getting the water really oxygenated. Can someone tell me if what I am doing is effective or if it is a waste of time?

waste of time.

It won't hurt them. So I wouldn't stop if it worries you.

The main cause of death in house-plants is root rot. Root rot is caused because the roots are blocked by over-saturated soil. The oversaturation starves the roots of oxygen.

Water plants intake oxygen through their roots.

Please tell me if I'm wrong about this I just learned everything I know about plants a few days ago.

Well, the cause of the over-saturation is giving your plants too much water in the first place.
And giving them too much water that just happens to be oxygenated doesn't matter one bit. The extra oxygen doesn't stay in the water for very long.
The best (and the easiest) way to prevent root rot by over-saturated soil is to stop giving them too much water.

Well, the cause of the over-saturation is giving your plants too much water in the first place.
And giving them too much water that just happens to be oxygenated doesn't matter one bit. The extra oxygen doesn't stay in the water for very long.
The best (and the easiest) way to prevent root rot by over-saturated soil is to stop giving them too much water.

Sorry I don't mean I am helping prevent root rot by shaking my water. I was just giving you an example of how roots use oxygen.

In hydroponics the water is probably pumped heavy with oxygen and other gases.

And for the big must-answer question:

How long do you think the extra oxygen stays in the water? What is the loss curve like?

Sorry I don't mean I am helping prevent root rot by shaking my water. I was just giving you an example of how roots use oxygen.

In hydroponics the water is probably pumped heavy with oxygen and other gases.

And for the big must-answer question:

How long do you think the extra oxygen stays in the water? What is the loss curve like?

I couldn't find any scientific studies on it, but I found two statements on it that seem to be in agreement:

"Also, because oxygen dissipates at room temperatures and only lasts 20-30 minutes in oil or water"
http://www.liquidzeoliteplus.com/digital_water_ozonator_dehumidifier.html

"Extra oxygen in water in an open cup will dissipate into the air within 30 minutes. "
http://www.o2techno.com/cooler.htm

Edit:
On a side note, I don't think shaking a closed bottle will aerate the water any more than your tap would by spouting it out.

Last edited:
Why not set up a scientific test.
Water some plants with crappy old normal water, and others with specially energised water.

Why not set up a scientific test.
Water some plants with crappy old normal water, and others with specially energised water.

Great idea. That should be a fairly simply experiment to carry out.
Use plenty of plants in each group though, and keep all factors but the water the same of course.

I have started to shake the bottle vigorously for a few minutes before watering my plants - with the intention of getting the water really oxygenated. Can someone tell me if what I am doing is effective or if it is a waste of time?
I can't imagine that you're increasing measurably the oxygen concentration in that water by merely shaking it. Whip it in a blender, well then maybe.

Besides, plants expire oxygen: it's their waste product. I would think that if any of their tissues required some they could just get it for free from their own waste. I don't see why they would bother to take some in when they put so much effort into getting rid of what they've already got.

Your plant will be far happier if you make sure its light is the right spectrum, it gets the proper minerals, and the soil is the right pH. If you're using tap water you should find out what is and is not in it that is beneficial or harmful to the plant.

Please.
Set up the experiment, with controls, and come back in a few months and tell us what happened.

Back