was jezus nailed to the cross with 30 nails

If you'd quoted the start of that sentence...
Very little reliance can be placed upon the authenticity of the thirty or more holy nails

And
The question of whether Christ was crucified with three or four nails has long been debated

I'd suggest that rather than anyone claiming that 30 nails were used it's more likely to be a multiple case of "No, MY nail is authentic, yours is a fake".

No, more likely 3. It was 30 pieces of silver, not nails. The romans wouldn't have wasted thirty nails anyway. That would be ten through each hand and ten through his feet. Slight overkill and totally unnecessary!

It is silly to discuss these details when the historicity of Jesus himself is debatable.

It is silly to discuss these details when the historicity of Jesus himself is debatable.

I don't think there's much doubt a man called Jesus lived at that time at that place according to contemporary records left Romans. Most scholars accept this, even Muslims. Whether any of his legends are true though is another question.

There is quite a lot of doubt about that. The text in Josephus is considered a later addition, not authentic.

My norse god has a hammer. Coincidence?

thor.jpg

To be honest, I don't know the texts personally but I've not heard of a historian casting any serious doubt on it. I would have thought the Jews would have disproven it if they could. Still, I'm sure we'll never know definatively but the circumstantial evidence is fairly strong.

To be honest, I don't know the texts personally but I've not heard of a historian casting any serious doubt on it. I would have thought the Jews would have disproven it if they could. Still, I'm sure we'll never know definatively but the circumstantial evidence is fairly strong.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=107342

Already covered the bases. Not much of value outside the bible, and of course that by itself as evidence is a bit circular.

I have read nothing in the bible that mentions a number of nails used in the execution of Jesus.

So i would say the source for this 30 nails claim comes from a tradition of men.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

their not they are using real science and not fairy tales from the bible. we know from things we have found that the romans used 3 nails when putting people up on the lumber

I don't think there's much doubt a man called Jesus lived at that time at that place according to contemporary records left Romans. Most scholars accept this, even Muslims. Whether any of his legends are true though is another question.
Actually there's exactly zero contemporary evidence for Jesus, Mohammad, Mosses, Hercules, and Mythra.

thor.jpg

That is no way to dress in scandinavia.

If you'd quoted the start of that sentence...

“ Very little reliance can be placed upon the authenticity of the thirty or more holy nails
It's religion. As a rule they want to be believed rather than be proven wrong/right. I would be surprised if they ever claim the full authenticity of any object.

I yust tought it was funny

their not they are using real science and not fairy tales from the bible. we know from things we have found that the Romans used 3 nails when putting people up on the lumber

I was not talking about Romans using nails as a tradition of men. I was talking about the claim that they used 30 nails as a tradition of men.

I believe they used nails. That’s scriptural. And i would say they used 3 large ones too. But this 30 nails business has no support from the bible.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Try reading the thread.
There is no claim that 30 nails were used.
There never has been that claim.
Well 30 are worshipped and if you go for the logical 3-4 then you piss of 26-27 :)

So all 30 must be real :)

Actually there's exactly zero contemporary evidence for Jesus, Mohammad, Mosses, Hercules, and Mythra.

Actually this is not correct. Mohammad is definitely a historical figure. The supernatural stories are legend but the man clearly existed.

Jesus walks into a hotel and slams a handfull of nails on the main desk and asks, "can you put me up for the night?" yuk yuk

Actually this is not correct. Mohammad is definitely a historical figure. The supernatural stories are legend but the man clearly existed.
If you have the citations for contemporary evidence of Mohammad's existence please post it, I think everyone would be interested.

AFAIK the earliest use for the word Mohammad in a religious sense is as a Title for Jesus (found on early Syrian coins). More than likely Mohammad the protagonist was a literary creation based on a misunderstanding of basic Aramaic. Think of it like this. 300 years in the future a Christian sect is running around yelling God is Great and Lincoln was His Prophet. 500 years in the future there's a new name for this "religion" and enough back-padding to the myth to make a Muslim blush ;)
Jesus walks into a hotel and slams a handfull of nails on the main desk and asks, "can you put me up for the night?" yuk yuk
:D

Back