Vitamin D from afternoon sun

Lilalena

Registered Senior Member
Can you get much vitamin D from the sun at around 4pm (except in winter of course) when you're supposed to be safe from overexposure?

If your job doesn't allow you to get out early in the morning, can you make up for it (catch some vit d) by going for a walk in the afternoon?

I've read somewhere that trees give off MORE CO2 than O2 in the afternoons? Is this true and does that make late afternoon walks relatively unhealthy compared to morning walks?

Last edited:
I'd think that if you walk for less than an a half hour anytime during daylight you won't become overexposed to vit D. Everything in moderation. ;)

By overexposed I don't mean to vit D but to the harmful rays from the sun. I like to get as much vit d as possible as I find that it helps stabilize the moods. Just wondering how effective my afternoon jaunts are in helping stave off depression.

Half hour a day with only your face exposed is not long enough for vitamin d. Consider taking a supplement. I remember sunblock also inhibits it. From what I recall 15-20 minutes in shorts and a t-shirt with no sunblock if you are Caucasian. Google could probably tell you more accurately, but just your face exposed would not be enough.

Does this mean that possibly most of us are deficient in Vit D since most people go to work early in the morning and then leave work late in the afternoon?

Back