Venezuela: Decriminalizing Theft

Legalizing theft?

• (Other)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Reuters reports that Venezuela will consider decriminalizing theft after a Supreme Court judge advised that the "famine theft clause" of Venezuelan jurisprudence should be extended to become part of humanitarian penal reform. Critics, of course, charge that such a condition will only fuel crime. In the meantime, Venezuela is a country in which two thirds of the poulation are poor, and a third of that unable to meet basic food needs.

I think the ethical questions at the outset are clear, but nothing is ever so simple as it seems.

So ... ?

The poor, oil-rich nation is considering decriminalising the theft of food and medicine in cases where a thief is motivated by extreme hunger or need.

hmmm .... what is so special about this news ?

Is it also legal to kick someones ass if you catch them stealing your stuff?
I assume yes? If not its a ridiculous law.

normally he is just allowed to capture the thief , of course without using force .... but we are talking about venezuele , so i have no clue :D

just a question : you have the same law in the usa , right ?

Hmmmm, a latin american country wants to decriminalize theft, interesting

A country where the affluent get richer, and the pauper get poorer. Of course, rather than doing away with the corruption at the top, why not just let the poor steal from each other, whilst keeping the rich communities gated and safe :bugeye:

While I am not from that country (I am from latin america, though), I have a an aunt, uncle, and cousins that live there, know several venezuelans, a few of which are friends, all are cordial with me, I know what I'm talking about... at least somewhat

oh and I did I mention the notion is stupid? Yes, well I think that goes without saying.

Back