Vaccinating against HPV can be a preventitive measure against HIV? HUH?

Yellow Jacket

Registered Senior Member
I came across this the other day and it's still bugging me. So I thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys thought.

http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=638681

Men With HPV at Higher Risk for HIV, Study Finds
Vaccinating against human papillomavirus could be an effective preventive measure, researchers say

TUESDAY, May 4 (HealthDay News) -- Preventing human papillomavirus (HPV) infection may be one way to slow the HIV/AIDS epidemic, according to a new study that found that HPV-positive men are at greater risk for HIV infection than those not infected with HPV.

Researchers looked at 2,168 men in Kenya, aged 18 to 24, who were uncircumcised, did not have HIV and were sexually active. The men were tested for HPV infections at the start of the study and over 24 months. Most of the men were followed-up for 42 months.

At the start of the study, about half (1,089) of the men were infected with HPV on the skin of their penis. After 42 months, 5.8 percent of these HPV-positive men were HIV positive, compared to 3.7 percent of men who didn't have HPV.

The findings were released online April 23 in advance of publication in the June 1 print issue of the Journal of Infectious Diseases.

"Even when we controlled for circumcision status, herpes and other sexual and sociodemographic risk factors, men infected with HPV at the first study visit were at greater risk for HIV infection than men without HPV," study lead author Jennifer S. Smith, a research associate professor of epidemiology in the Gillings School of Global Public Health at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said in a news release.

"If our findings are confirmed in other studies, then HPV prevention could become an effective tool for HIV prevention," she added.

Smith noted that developing "a vaccine to prevent HIV is the greatest hope for curbing the world's AIDS pandemic, but so far there is no such vaccine. However, there is a vaccine to prevent specific types of HPV infection, and vaccinating young men before they become sexually active could potentially help prevent the spread of HIV."

More information

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has more about HPV.

-- Robert Preidt

SOURCE: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, news release, April 28, 2010

Last Updated: May 04, 2010

OK, forgive me, I am still trying to figure out why preventing HPV would be an effective tool to preventing HIV. Really, the two are sexually transmitted disease. But there is a vaccine for HPV, there isn't one for HIV.

The only thing I conclude that would make HIV a link to HPV, or vice versa is that they were obtained by an unsafe sexual lifestyle. It seems prevention, condoms would help lower the risk, but I'm just not getting this. I know through me educating my students that HPV is transmitted through skin to skin, it can be found in the mouth, throat as well. Condoms aren't as effective as a prevention method. There is a vaccine, but only certain age groups can receive them.

I, also, know that there is a higher chance of spreading or contracting HIV in uncircumcised men. Now with that in mind, I can see how the uncircumcised male may be more prone to getting both, especially if they are practicing unsafe sex. But vaccinating against HPV doesn't change that high risk sexual behavior.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a study that didn't include enough other factors to truly link the two together? Did they just waste 2 years on a ridiculous study? Seems like the doctor was grasping at straws here.

Any thoughts on this? Is this a study that didn't include enough other factors to truly link the two together? Did they just waste 2 years on a ridiculous study? Seems like the doctor was grasping at straws here.
They say that they controlled for other STDs and sexual practices, so it probably isn't just a case of promiscuous men being more likely to be infected by both.

At the start of the study, about half (1,089) of the men were infected with HPV on the skin of their penis. After 42 months, 5.8 percent of these HPV-positive men were HIV positive, compared to 3.7 percent of men who didn't have HPV.

I am not impressed with a 2.1% difference in a study of only 2,200 subjects. This is extraneous funding for AIDS research- it's "ruling out the impossible"; a sinkhole.

But if I were a betting man, I'd throw a buck or two towards marrow transplants- and ultimately Cerebral Spinal Fluid research to build a super-man that can defeat the AIDS virus, God willing.

If men are vaccinated then it might help, too a small extent, but here in the US the vaccine has only been approved for and is only given to young women 9-26 preferrably virgins. Has it been proven to be just as effective in men? And do the same types of HPV that cause cervical cancer cause increased risks for HIV?

If men are vaccinated then it might help, too a small extent, but here in the US the vaccine has only been approved for and is only given to young women 9-26 preferrably virgins. Has it been proven to be just as effective in men? And do the same types of HPV that cause cervical cancer cause increased risks for HIV?

But how would that help? I don't see the correlation here. HIV and HPV are unrelated diseases, besides the fact that they are sexually transmitted. And even then, there is speculation about HPV being strictly sexually transmitted.

Here is the link to facts about prevention of HPV:

http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/Prevention.html

and here are the facts about the vaccines:

http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/vaccine.html

Honestly, this doesn't make sense, at least this study that they did. The percentages are low. I found this article, which leads us towards the other way, that HIV can increase HPV cases based on the fact that HIV lowers the immune system. THis allows the HPV virus emerge if already present in the body.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art5108.html

After reading that, that makes more sense than the OP's aricle.

I am not impressed with a 2.1% difference in a study of only 2,200 subjects. This is extraneous funding for AIDS research- it's "ruling out the impossible"; a sinkhole.

It's par for the course in HIV/AIDS research. Hyping small things, one source having different statistics than another, perpetuating myths or pseudo-facts, and lots and lots of money.

A post I made a few weeks ago:

Oh, you must have forgotten..

aids_en.gif

They're just trying to do their best to stop AIDS.

They're really helping. AIDS doesn't have enough money behind it already, does it?

Final-pie700.jpg

Compared to the other diseases on the chart, HIV/AIDS is an unimportant vampire who doesn't just get blood donations.. no! It gets the whole blood bank to itself!

I call HIV/AIDS the Paris Hilton of the disease world: it has glitz and glamour; lots of money; celebrity balls; everyone knows its name. A N D... it does virtually nothing of note. Except being itself.

AIDS is currently, and has been for a long time, a non-issue. At least in the West. At least according to the prevailing model. Or prevailing hypothesis. Or prevailing dogma. Take your pick, please!!!

Even the top scientists and Nobel laureates can't agree on what HIV/AIDS is, how it works, or how important and incurable it is.
:shrug:

HPV. The sexual dilemma of the hour. To inoculate or not to inoculate? That is a really great question. What age? Which gender? Both? Which strain? At what risk? At what perceived benefit? How many adjuvants should I put in my body???

OK, forgive me, I am still trying to figure out why preventing HPV would be an effective tool to preventing HIV. Really, the two are sexually transmitted disease. But there is a vaccine for HPV, there isn't one for HIV.

You’re reading too much into the study. It appears from the limited and very general description in the article you quoted that the researchers have performed an epidemiological analysis only with no functional analysis involved. This study doesn’t tell us how (mechanistically) HPV infection is linked to HIV infection, but it appears that an analysis of the statistics demonstrates that they are. Thus, vaccinating against HPV should help prevent HIV infection.

It is not unknown in medicine for medical treatments to be devised and delivered successfully on the basis of epidemiology without ever knowing how they work.

Again, you should bear in mind that the article you linked to is very broad and lacks enough detail to draw any real conclusions. It is certainly unjustified to label the study as “ridiculous”, a “waste of 2 years” and “grasping at straws” based on what you provided. It is perfectly believable that infection by one virus predisposes the person to infection by certain subsequent viruses.

It would seem to me that the genital warts caused by HPV would make skin abrasions more likely during sex, increasing the risk of transmission of HIV into the bloodstream.

It would seem to me that the genital warts caused by HPV would make skin abrasions more likely during sex, increasing the risk of transmission of HIV into the bloodstream.

Yes, but there are different types of HPV, not all have warts. Maybe this is why I am confused. The article or study I guess doesn't provide enough info to a conclusion of how or why it happens. That's why I guess I am annoyed that they stood up and presented this as a fact.

It's par for the course in HIV/AIDS research. Hyping small things, one source having different statistics than another, perpetuating myths or pseudo-facts, and lots and lots of money.

Compared to the other diseases on the chart, HIV/AIDS is an unimportant vampire who doesn't just get blood donations.. no! It gets the whole blood bank to itself!

I call HIV/AIDS the Paris Hilton of the disease world: it has glitz and glamour; lots of money; celebrity balls; everyone knows its name. A N D... it does virtually nothing of note. Except being itself.

AIDS is currently, and has been for a long time, a non-issue. At least in the West. At least according to the prevailing model. Or prevailing hypothesis. Or prevailing dogma. Take your pick, please!!!

Even the top scientists and Nobel laureates can't agree on what HIV/AIDS is, how it works, or how important and incurable it is.

Your model says budgeted per death. So, there I could see why AIDS gets more attention than parkinson's disease. As far as hype, I think the glamour and glitz is pathetic. So many jumping on board to get a little more attention in the media. AIDS/HIV is a bad thing that is spreading. There are less deaths presently than in the past because the medical treatments have made it possible to live longer, but it is spreading. It isn't an easy disease to live with for those who have it, there is no cure and those who have it want one. Problem is, there are different strains, kind of like the common cold, so finding a cure will prove to be difficult.

You’re reading too much into the study. It appears from the limited and very general description in the article you quoted that the researchers have performed an epidemiological analysis only with no functional analysis involved. This study doesn’t tell us how (mechanistically) HPV infection is linked to HIV infection, but it appears that an analysis of the statistics demonstrates that they are. Thus, vaccinating against HPV should help prevent HIV infection.

It is not unknown in medicine for medical treatments to be devised and delivered successfully on the basis of epidemiology without ever knowing how they work.

Again, you should bear in mind that the article you linked to is very broad and lacks enough detail to draw any real conclusions. It is certainly unjustified to label the study as “ridiculous”, a “waste of 2 years” and “grasping at straws” based on what you provided. It is perfectly believable that infection by one virus predisposes the person to infection by certain subsequent viruses.

actually i can see quite an easy theoretical link between the 2 diseases which have little or nothing to do with sexual practice. If you have open lesions all over your genitalia then the probablility that another infection can use these to enter the body is quite high, especially as the white cells would be occupied dealing with another infection at that point

It's especially mind-boggling when you consider the fact that HIV is practically 100% preventable. We already know how to protect people from getting HIV. With, say, strokes, or many forms of cancer, we don't...

nice to see how you can distort figures isnt it. Of course Aids related deaths in the UK are low, its a first world country. However AS a first world country it has an obligation to help the THIRD world countries where surprise surprise, it IS a leading killer. I wonder how much UK resurch money is spent per maleria death in the UK. If you put that up it would probably make even the aids slice TINY because i doubt there are more than 1 or 2 deaths from Maleria each year in the UK

Back