Useless bomb detector

Anti-Flag

Pun intended
Registered Senior Member
A "bomb detector" is currently being sold privately from the UK to Iraq and other places, that is widely believed not to work at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

From the link:
Newsnight obtained a set of cards for the ADE-651 and took them to Cambridge University's Computer Laboratory where Dr Markus Kuhn dissected a card supposed to detect TNT.

It contained nothing but the type of anti-theft tag used to prevent stealing in high street stores.

Dr Kuhn said it was "impossible" that it could detect anything at all and that the card had "absolutely nothing to do with the detection of TNT".

"There is nothing to program in these cards. There is no memory. There is no microcontroller. There is no way any form of information can be stored," he added.

High price

The tags which are supposed to be the heart of such an expensive system cost around two to three pence.

"These are the cheapest bit of electronics that you can get that look vaguely electronic and are sufficiently flat to fit inside a card," Dr Kuhn told Newsnight.

The ADE-651 has been sold to a range of Middle Eastern countries and as far afield as Bangkok for eye-watering prices.

Iraq paid around $40,000 for each device.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there laws against this? This guy is making millions at the expense of peoples lives and getting away with it. Why isn't the goverment doing anything?
Has the world really come to this?

EDIT: It seems the link has been updated since I posted this, and a ban is now in place. Talk about taking their time though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back