US Rabies free per CDC

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
OK< so if a dog get rabies from a bat and then bites another dog, does that mean the other dog won't get it? I never knew rabies mutated in animals to become species specific. ??? Does that mean if a human got it, he could only pass it on to another human?

U.S. free of canine rabies virus, CDC says

WASHINGTON - Federal health experts declared a small victory against a fatal and untreatable virus on Friday, saying canine rabies has disappeared from the United States.

While dogs may still become infected from raccoons, skunks or bats, they will not catch dog-specific rabies from another dog, the Atlanta-based U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

“We don’t want to misconstrue that rabies has been eliminated — dog rabies virus has been,” CDC rabies expert Dr. Charles Rupprecht told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Rabies evolves to match the animals it infects, and the strain most specific to dogs has not been seen anywhere in the United States since 2004, Rupprecht said.

While the incubation period for rabies is as long as six years in humans, it is only six months in a dog.

“Even though we still live in a sea of rabies and even though we have rabies viruses circulating among raccoons and foxes and bats, the dog rabies virus, which is the most responsible for dog-to-dog transmission and which is still the greatest burden to humans ... it is that virus that has been eliminated.”

Rabies kills 55,000 people a year globally, according to the World Health Organization. It is easily prevented with a vaccine, but many people do not realize they have been infected and once symptoms begin to show, it is almost impossible to treat.

Only one person — a Wisconsin girl who was put into an intentional coma in 2004 — has ever been known to have survived rabies infection.

Rupprecht said attempts to treat three victims in the United States and one in Canada have failed. The victims all died.

The virus can infect virtually all mammals, but like most viruses it evolves and can be “typed” genetically. Species-specific strains are well characterized for bats, raccoons and skunks for instance, as well as for dogs.

“A dog rabies is very different from a skunk rabies virus,” Rupprecht said.

While cats are susceptible, Rupprecht said there is not a known rabies strain specific to domestic cats.

Mandatory vaccination has created what is known as herd immunity in U.S. dogs, Rupprecht said, and it will be vital to continue this to protect dogs — and people — from the virus.

“The elimination of canine rabies in the United States represents one of the major public health success stories in the last 50 years,” CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding said in a statement.

“However, there is still much work to be done to prevent and control rabies globally.”

Canine rabies is still very common in many countries, including much of Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa, India, China, the Philippines and elsewhere.

Some island nations such as Japan, New Zealand, Barbados, Fiji, Maldives, and Seychelles are rabies-free.

Greece, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Uruguay and Chile are also free of rabies.

M*W: I had a mouse in my house, so I put down a small glue trap. Sure enough, the next morning, there he was, stuck to the trap and squealing for his life. I felt sorry for the little critter, donned surgical gloves, and tried to free him from the glue. Of course, he was scared as shit, so he bit me on the finger with his little buck teeth. I thought about the possibility of rabies, so I went to the ER just to check it out. I was surprised to find that a mouse bite didn't warrant the rabies injections. They told me that if I wanted to start them as a precaution, they would order the vaccine (they didn't have it in stock in the pharmacy). I decided not to, and went on my way. I was really surprised to find that a bite from a mouse was not as dangerous as I thought.

I figured only animals who could survive an attack by another rabid animal had to be worried about.
I don't know if mice could survive and attack to go on and bite others.

Bats must get it from other bats then right?? Wouldn't that mean a whole colony would be wiped out?

Accourding to the CDC, getting rabies from a mouse is pretty rare, even more so if it wasn't exhibiting any odd behaviors.

If a dog vaccinated against rabies is bit by a rabid animal, it should not develop rabies. However, if it bites another dog- an uncharactoristic occurance, the second dog would be infected, but should not get sick (because the vaccine)- unless both dogs were vaccinated out of the same 'batch' of faulty vaccine.

Rabies can quite easily infect several species. But I think it would be difficult for a human to bit a `bat or mouse and in top of that not kill it...

M*W: I had a mouse in my house, so I put down a small glue trap. Sure enough, the next morning, there he was, stuck to the trap and squealing for his life. I felt sorry for the little critter, donned surgical gloves, and tried to free him from the glue. Of course, he was scared as shit, so he bit me on the finger with his little buck teeth. I thought about the possibility of rabies, so I went to the ER just to check it out. I was surprised to find that a mouse bite didn't warrant the rabies injections. They told me that if I wanted to start them as a precaution, they would order the vaccine (they didn't have it in stock in the pharmacy). I decided not to, and went on my way. I was really surprised to find that a bite from a mouse was not as dangerous as I thought.

I get bitten by rats all the time. Apparently outbred rats in captivity are also not dangerous (by boy can they bite!!!)

OK< so if a dog get rabies from a bat and then bites another dog, does that mean the other dog won't get it? I never knew rabies mutated in animals to become species specific. ??? Does that mean if a human got it, he could only pass it on to another human?

U.S. free of canine rabies virus, CDC says

WASHINGTON - Federal health experts declared a small victory against a fatal and untreatable virus on Friday, saying canine rabies has disappeared from the United States.

While dogs may still become infected from raccoons, skunks or bats, they will not catch dog-specific rabies from another dog, the Atlanta-based U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

“We don’t want to misconstrue that rabies has been eliminated — dog rabies virus has been,” CDC rabies expert Dr. Charles Rupprecht told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Rabies evolves to match the animals it infects, and the strain most specific to dogs has not been seen anywhere in the United States since 2004, Rupprecht said.

While the incubation period for rabies is as long as six years in humans, it is only six months in a dog.

“Even though we still live in a sea of rabies and even though we have rabies viruses circulating among raccoons and foxes and bats, the dog rabies virus, which is the most responsible for dog-to-dog transmission and which is still the greatest burden to humans ... it is that virus that has been eliminated.”

The virus can infect virtually all mammals, but like most viruses it evolves and can be “typed” genetically. Species-specific strains are well characterized for bats, raccoons and skunks for instance, as well as for dogs.

“A dog rabies is very different from a skunk rabies virus,” Rupprecht said.

While cats are susceptible, Rupprecht said there is not a known rabies strain specific to domestic cats.

Mandatory vaccination has created what is known as herd immunity in U.S. dogs, Rupprecht said, and it will be vital to continue this to protect dogs — and people — from the virus.
In the short term, should a rabid bat bite a dog, and later that day the dog bite another dog, the second dog would most likely not develop rabies. Now if a rabid bat bites a dog, and two weeks later the dog bites a second dog, the chance of passing the infection is greater because there has been time for the virus to mutate to adapt to its new host (the dog). The more time between infection, the greater the potential for secondary transmission.

As far as I know, there is no human specific rabies strain, which is part of the reason why it can take up to 6 years for symptoms of rabies to develop in humans. The body is harboring the virus, its just not overwhelmed yet.

The canine variation of the disease rabies has become mutated to thrive in the canine body. It can adapt to other types of animals. For example, back some years ago the canine distemper virus raged thru some of the European seal communities and (IIRC) it raged thru some lion populations in Africa.

What is notable about this particular claim is the mandatory rabies vaccination has prevented the continued spread of the canine variation of the rabies virus. There are plenty of wild animal rabies continuing to infect animals in the wild and if people stop vaccinating their dogs, eventually the virus will mutate to thrive in the canine population again.

So thats how I understand it anyways.

Mice bite

Carnivorous animals spread rabies in a much more efficient way, probably it's why they said mice/rats usually don't transmit it. The reason is an enzyme present in the animals saliva (only carnivorous have it), called hialuronidase (sorry if I misspelled it). It helps to "digest" the tissue around the bite, exposing the nerves and facilitating the virus to entry the body.
Of course this is probably one of many reasons.

About the virus being species specific, it's new to me, but makes sense.

has there ever been human to human transfer?

Yes, there is a famous case were a person died in an accident (ran over?) and his cornea was transplanted in another person. The latter died of rabies, and they tracked down and found out the donor had rabies (no symptoms).

Oh, I guess I was thinking of getting bit by another person. I hadn't even considered the donor route.

Oh, I guess I was thinking of getting bit by another person. I hadn't even considered the donor route.

Don't think so... lol

I am not sure about the rabies symptoms in humans (can't remember...), but not all the animal become aggressive as dogs do... many animals become lethargic.

Is this why the US is building a wall with mexico? to keep rabies out?
M*W: Building a wall is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Build a wall, and they'll scale it. When I was growing up, no one ever heard of head lice. That was only found in derelicts and other low-lifes of society. But today, especially in a town with 2 million illegal aliens, lice is a problem in public schools--it crosses all socio-economic levels.

Does anyone know if this is a problem anywhere else in the world?

Back