Upcoming future seen in dreams

debt

Registered Senior Member
So, let's get right into it. One morning, before I woke up, before my alarm clock went off, I was dreaming. I don't remember the dream, but I do remember what I said to myself in my mind right before the alarm clock went off. I was dreaming, I said to myself, in my mind, "...and they play it to the sound of.." and my alarm clock goes off immediately after.

Coincidence? Well, that's what I was thinking, but the thing was, it came out of nowhere. Had the statement been related somehow to the dream, I would have remembered something about the dream. Also, I said it to myself really fast as if I was trying to get it in before the alarm clock went off. I'm convinced that I somehow knew, a second before my alarm went off, that it was going to go off. Why would my mind know something like this? Perhaps the clock went off and, as my ears reacted to the sound, it simultaneously signals the brain that hearing is taking place.

The process of hearing takes a longer time than does sending an electrical signal to my brain. So in the 0.75 seconds(hypothetical) it takes to process sound, it takes 0.15 seconds for my brain to be stimulated and react to the sound. Since dreaming takes place within the mind, it has the ability to instantly react. If my mind is signaled that hearing is about to occcur before the mind has actually heard a sound, than the mind can react to sound before it has heard anything at all.

Which brings about an interesting question. If the mind is signaled that it is about to be stimulated by a sense, before it is actually stimulated by that sense; how is it that the mind interprets nonsensical "data" like the anvil hitting the stirrup into language that can be understood?

I know that sounds really dense, but..well, for example. Imagine if every time the heart beat it sent a signal to the brain, that, somehow, interpreted the beat into the actual word "beat". So now everytime the heart pumps blood, you actually the think the word "beat...beat...beat".

What I'm saying is that somehow my mind was capable of interpreting an involuntary action(anvil against the stirrup) and turning into English("...and it plays it to the sound of."). But, if you look closer my mind did even more than that.

My mind took thee signal produced by the hearing before hearing, and put it in the basic group of sound. This includes music, loud noises, scary noises. Obviously, to interpret sound I need emotion and a vehical of communication or adjectives. Adjectives being apart of language, my mind took that and swithed to the group of language. In the group of language fits rhythm and personality(also much, much more). My mind used language, rhythm and personality to interpret the signal, instead of sending the signal to the quiet part of the brain.

All this now brings up another question. Are dreams a free-for-all? Involuntary and voluntary interpreted by any means; unconscious, subconscious and conscious, all being acted out on a first come first serve basis. Even the mind itself, a simultaneious involuntary and voluntary organ, acting out it's very own stimuli.

All those images in dreams do mean something; perhaps the beating of the heart sounds the bassdrum of a marching band. Maybe the pain in your arm as you sleep sets you in a place you always wished you would be; on the pitcher mound in a baseball game, rubbing your soar arm or maybe, in a dark hallway being beaten by a shadow man.

I think your underestimating your subconcious. Our subconcious is always taking meaningless data in, sorting it out and translating it for our concious to comprehend. Something such as being able to predict when your alarm is going to go off is extremely common and not paranormal in the least. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who finds themself waking up 5 minutes before their alarm goes off, especially when that's what's making them wake up every morning. At most, your subconconcious pulled off the same trick but only took it a step further.

In fact it was not "future" : it was past!
You heard the alarm clock, as you were sleeping, your brain took this information and tried to include this in your dream. Thus you can sleep longer. I don't say that you wanted to sleep longer : your brain decided to... at least during a few seconds. In a way it's what Votorx said in the first part of his post (I guess). It's an automatic process that I can't explain but that has been shown. A little bit like the "never die in a dream" process?

can't you die in a dream? I thought you just dream of going to heaven or something. I think I've died in a dream once, or maybe I didn't really NEED the head that was ripped off my shoulders... and I was still alive... *cue the x-files theme whistle*

can't you die in a dream?

I don't think you can die in a dream. Im pretty sure I haven't although I've come very close. Maybe the reason for this is because we've never experianced it, or anything similar to it.

SG
That's not what I ment, what I ment is, if you have your alarm clock go off at the same time everyday, your subconcious is going to interpret this and be able to predict when the alarm clock will go off while you are asleep. Debt probably experianced the same thing and his subconcious incorporated the sound of the alarm clock into his dream before it went off, just as many people wake up 5 minutes before their alarm clock begins ringing.

I've had this happen also, but in a different way.

I was sleeping of course, and my grandmother came into my room one morning to wake me up for school. In my dream I was producing a play. I was asking if anyone messed up and this girl raised her and and sai "Michael, Michael, I messed up" That part was my grandmother saying she messed up because she didnt get up in time. I thought this was kind of weird seeing how in fit into my dream perfectly.

Votorx said:
I don't think you can die in a dream. Im pretty sure I haven't although I've come very close. Maybe the reason for this is because we've never experianced it, or anything similar to it.

I've dreamt of being shot and then floating above my body looking at myself in a pool of blood as I lay dead on the floor,
I've also dreamt I was a ghost which nobody could see and was trying to give messages to people by writing things down onto a pad of paper, do these things count as being dead?
What is my subconsious trying to tell me in these dreams?

Back