Universal size if t=0?

Quantum Quack

Life's a tease...
Valued Senior Member
If t=0 how big is the universe?

Just thought to throw this seemingly simple question into the arena again to see what comes up.

As far as I can tell the answer is zero size or d=0 but hey who am I to know.

so if t=0, d must also.
where
t=time
d=distance

Last edited:
What is t? What is d?

Just to hazard a guess, maybe t is time, maybe d is diameter? In that case I wouldn't argue with your arithmetic. If t = 0, then d must also = 0. But what is the point? Is there some argument to the contrary?

There can be no size if t=0, because then by relativistic terms, and invariant mathematics, the three vectors of space would also equal zero, and then by logic, deviod - thus both space and time are synonymous, not only by equivalence, but also by origin.

so at t= whatever number you want to give it does the same apply?

[I think after three years of getting there I can finally put something from James R in a picture frame and put it on my wall hee hee...]

thanks James!:D

If t=0 how big is the universe?

Just thought to throw this seemingly simple question into the arena again to see what comes up.

As far as I can tell the answer is zero size or d=0 but hey who am I to know.

so if t=0, d must also.
where
t=time
d=distance

If the numbers are human inventions and time is an illusion or our perception, how do u expect it to be solved??? :rolleyes:

there is no t=0, the universe always exists, but in different dimension. At t=-1 the universe is collapsing into itself...at t=-1,000,000 seconds the universe collapses into one gigantic black hole....at t=max second, the universe is neither expanding nor contracting.

I see universe as cyclical, collapsing into itself and exploding as Big Bang.

There could be an arguement, which i am almost positive no physicist here could argue, that, the size of the big bang at t=0, is equivalant the the size of an electron, which i subsequently zero as well. So the size of the universe at t=o is either poinlike existing in zero-dimenensions. If one took this as a sequiter, then the universe at t=o is also non-dimensional; mathematics, such as supercurvature or infinite curvature could proof that at some point, the infinitesimal size of the universe didn't really exist, until it had some type of diameter^2.

You can also define at t=0, that space and time existed however, but beyond the scopes of any measurability due to an infinite negative curvature, or by definition, a singular point. So you can yet again say that time and space existed at t=0, so long as it is confined into an infinite density, potential density, i would have pressumed, and therefore an imaginary time prespective.

time only exists with space, if there is no space, there is no time. One point is dimensionless of time.

If one takes all the matter [time] out of the universe how much space is there? Do you think?
The point being IMO it takes time to expand the dimensions into 3 from zero.

If one takes all the matter [time] out of the universe how much space is there? Do you think?
The point being IMO it takes time to expand the dimensions into 3 from zero.

You mean, it takes time to expand 3 dimensions. This is very good point vern.

(just me)

Theoretically a new arguement can be brought forth, inspired by vern.

If it takes time to expand from a pointlike dimensionaless (''parameter'') then perhaps time could be more primal than space itself.This has got my speculating a lot!

You mean, it takes time to expand 3 dimensions. This is very good point vern.

(just me)

Theoretically a new arguement can be brought forth, inspired by vern.

If it takes time to expand from a pointlike dimensionaless (''parameter'') then perhaps time could be more primal than space itself.This has got my speculating a lot!
I am not sure whether poster Vern would be happy with your mistake but then again he might be....ha

I think you will find it is an old arguement put forward by those high up in theoretical physics and basically nothing new....however rarely discussed due to the complexity of visualising the notion and low apparent value of doing so.
Afterall those that proposed the current spacetime paradigm did it from some premise surely.

If we can never take time (physically into out hands) then how can we ever have time, but rather time takes us, slowely i might add.

and we know how big the universe is now?
right now or in the present moment [HSP] the universe is a big fat zero in size...because the present moment IS t=0. So in effect it is always how big it was and how big it will be as what it is NOW is zero.

Back