Umbilical cord

Just lookers no reply, this is someting related to evolution discussion
They often don't. This sometimes leads to the death of the baby. I saw a program on seals, and the baby seal was being dragged around by the surf since it's mom didn't detach it from the cord or afterbirth.

They often don't. This sometimes leads to the death of the baby. I saw a program on seals, and the baby seal was being dragged around by the surf since it's mom didn't detach it from the cord or afterbirth.

Very interesting . I wonder the percentage that does not survive ? .
Question those that survive the female must somehow sense at what point in the distance from the belly to bite it off, otherwise it may kill the pop. So are the animals programmed on how to and what length to cut it off.?

Question those that survive the female must somehow sense at what point in the distance from the belly to bite it off, otherwise it may kill the pop.

It's a tropism. The distance isn't "programmed" - the behavior is. i.e. "bite at wormy looking things hanging off my pup." (Works for both umbilici and annoying parasites.)

Note that for many mammals the umbilical cord just falls off without needing to be bitten/cut.

Very many - perhaps most? mammalian mothers will eat the afterbirth. It's very rich in nutrients, at a time when the mother badly needs a boost.

The umbilical cord goes with that, and in licking the baby clean, and so forth. Not a big deal, usually.

It's a tropism. The distance isn't "programmed" - the behavior is. i.e. "bite at wormy looking things hanging off my pup." (Works for both umbilici and annoying parasites.)

Note that for many mammals the umbilical cord just falls off without needing to be bitten/cut.

After how long the placenta gets disconnected and it falls off ? Does it falls off , 10 cm. from the pop,s belly ?

After how long the placenta gets disconnected and it falls off ? Does it falls off , 10 cm. from the pop,s belly ?

Depends on the animal. In humans if the umbilical isn't cut then it dries up and falls off in about 7 days. In giraffes, who give birth standing up, the offsrping fall out of the birth canal and the cord is broken that way. In whales it disconnects right at the calf's umbilicus.

Back