UK Prosecutors Say 'Cult' Acceptable

w1z4rd

Valued Senior Member
An anonymous reader notes that following our discussion this week about the 15-year-old who was under threat of prosecution for calling Scientology a cult in a recent demonstration, the UK Crown Prosecution Service has decided that there is no case to answer. They have issued new guidance to the City of London police clarifying when they can use their public order powers. Quoting: "A [CPS] spokesman said: 'In consultation with the City of London Police, we were asked whether the sign was abusive or insulting. Our advice is that it is not abusive or insulting and there is no offensiveness (as opposed to criticism), neither in the idea expressed nor in the mode of expression.' A spokeswoman for the City of London Police said: 'The CPS review of the case includes advice on what action or behavior at a demonstration might be considered to be "threatening, abusive or insulting." The force's policing of future demonstrations will reflect this advice.'"
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/23/1214215

I am posting the slashdot article as it has more than one link inside it relevant to the back story of this case.

Whats your perspective on Scientology? Church or Cult... or both?

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/23/1214215

I am posting the slashdot article as it has more than one link inside it relevant to the back story of this case.

Well, when the founder Lord Hubbard created it he said he did it for monetary purposes. The quote was something along the line "why should I write novels and make a few cents per word when I can create a religion and make millions". Scientology annoys me but to each his own I suppose.

Some people seem to parse concepts a little differently. The distinction that I would make would be this: The sign was indeed abusive and insulting. It is just that the cult of Scientology deserves it, so the sign was not unduly abuse or insulting. Speech that expresses truth, whether you can call it abusive and insulting or not, must be protected speech.

I joined the CoS for a short while to discover its ideas from the inside. I have since been expelled although that was understandable and amicable.

At its roots it is a family oriented community based on some powerful concepts of right and wrong. There is a strong desire to right any past wrongs you may have done, even if it costs you a great deal, and I don't mean moentary cost. Some of these actions most would need enormous courage to both face and execute. I have enormous respect for those that can do that.

However, all of that can be done without the supernatural and religious connotations. But, it seems many people need a nudge to take corrective actions in their lives and religious concepts often seem to provide a degree of inspiration that adds that little extra.

Everyone I met were genuinely interested in higher standards and were extremly pleasant. I learnt a lot from that experience. I know media perceptions of CoS are distorted. Is it a money making insititution, perhaps.

No different to any other religion.
They are a lot more interested in making money than most other religions. Yes, many religions try to get you to donate etc, but they will still let you go to church (or temple, or whatever) and tell you all about their religion for free. Scientology actually sells you information and services. If you don't pay up, you don't get to participate or advance.

They are a lot more interested in making money than most other religions.

They're still on the ladder. I doubt it will be such an issue when they have their very own vatican.

Even looking at the OT you can see the value in it for the leaders, (the followers were 'god' ordered to sacrifice animals etc, the meat of which went to the leaders. Their god demanded all the good stuff to adorn his 'temples' etc). It all boils down to the same thing.

The religion comes from a science fiction book Hubbard wrote called "Battlefield Earth." The philosophy comes from a self-help system the same man devised called "Dianetics." He came up with the idea of combining the two of them so that they would meet the legal definition of a "religion."

He didn't do this specifically to generate income since he was already making money off of the self-help system. But churches are tax-exempt, so suddenly he didn't have to pay tax on his income. The salary the church paid him, sure, but the rest of it was "reinvested" in the church so it was exempt.
Speech that expresses truth, whether you can call it abusive and insulting or not, must be protected speech.
In the U.S., truth is always an incontrovertible defense against a charge of libel or slander.
cris said:
Everyone I met were genuinely interested in higher standards and were extremly pleasant. I learnt a lot from that experience. I know media perceptions of CoS are distorted. Is it a money making insititution, perhaps.
Not just because it's money-making, since all successful churches are. The reason is that Hubbard was so candid about his reasons for founding this "religion" and by now just about everyone in America is aware of them.

I suppose the joke is that he did exactly what he set out to do and the result is exactly what he expected. It irks us that a man said he was going to form a church as a tax gimmick, then he did just that, and yet people sign up.

Fraggle,

Not just because it's money-making, since all successful churches are. The reason is that Hubbard was so candid about his reasons for founding this "religion" and by now just about everyone in America is aware of them.

I suppose the joke is that he did exactly what he set out to do and the result is exactly what he expected. It irks us that a man said he was going to form a church as a tax gimmick, then he did just that, and yet people sign up.
Oh yes, agreed. And its funny that the folks within CoS can't see or don't care.

But for Hubbard to make it work it had to be built on something, and as it turns out that something is a good idea. He then threw in ideas about aliens being trillions of years old and we are their descendents. That should have been a clue to the sign-ups that CoS is based on sciece fiction as well. Hubbard being a sci-fi writer should also have been a clue.

Sigh! Some people will buy anything it seems.

It is a religous belief.
People may make a living out of it but so do Ayatollahs, Popes, Priests, etc...

Chris, wow, you went right in there and joined. That's pretty cool, you should have written a book.

Oh yes, agreed. And its funny that the folks within CoS can't see or don't care.
Hey, there are a lot more christians who very seriously believe a book that has stories of talking plants than there are scientologists. I don't think CoS has any particular monopoly on willingly-blind followers.

Hubbard being a sci-fi writer should also have been a clue.
Where the hell did you get idea Hubbard was an SF writer? :eek:
Drivel is what he wrote :), and IIRC it was the (in)famous Campbell (his editor) at the time who told him the only way he'd get rich would be by inventing a religion because he'd never make make money as a writer.

The religion comes from a science fiction book Hubbard wrote called "Battlefield Earth."

Which got turned into a remarkably successful sci-fi comedy. Oh wait, that wasn't meant to be a comedy. Worst... movie... ever! Maybe if someone got crucified and mutilated, it would have made for a better religious experience.

Back