UFO over India

kmguru

Staff member
Just got in the email:

New Delhi, August 19: Even as officials float fanciful, even bizarre,
theories on the mysterious flying mauler terrorising eastern UP, here's the official word: ball lightning. It's a rare, mobile form of lightning that has frequently been mistaken for unidentified flying objects (UFO) in the past. When the rains pass, so should the hysteria, a UP government source privy to the report told
The Indian Express. The report, authored by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, was submitted to the UP Home Department today. But the reign of the muhnochwa (face-scratcher) continues. Last night, a man accidentally killed his mother while shooting at a light he believed was the creature plaguing one of India's most backward-and rumour-prone-regions.
The ball lightning presumption will clearly take some selling. UP's own officials are lining up the theories. Genetically engineered insects from Pakistan is one. Laser-equipped terrorists is theory. After all, victims report seeing a flashing red light, then suffer facial injuries.

Saner explanations: Disoriented migratory birds, bats or locust swarms. Such hysteria isn't new to eastern UP. Only six years ago this region, with human development indicies that rival sub-Saharan Africa, was in the thrall of the manai (the man creature). After more than 20 babies were killed, the panic enabled all manner of scores to be settled; 40 people were lynched in various incidents then. The baby-lifters turned out to be a pack of wolves that had lost their habitat and natural prey in a region plagued by deforestation.

''People now see satellites moving across the night sky and say it's the muhnochwa,'' says Ashok Singh, former UP chief wildlife warden who hunted down the wolves in 1996.
''If you develop a rumour, it spreads like wildfire in these areas,''
says Singh. Yet it was just yesterday, after one person was killed in police firing on a hysterical mob, that DIG Faizabad K N D Dwivedi said the muhnochwa was a three to six-inch-long insect ''brought from outside India,'' developed with ''special technology by anti-national elements.''

Today, after being upbraided by Lucknow, Dwivedi isn't forthcoming about his theory. ''Even if I have said it, I have not said it,'' he says and laughs. So what is the muhnochwa anyway? ''It could be animals, insects, anything.''
''No one talks of a living being though,'' says Arvind Kumar, district
magistrate of Kanpur in central UP, new muhnochwa territory. ''They all talk of a mechanical thing with flashing lights.''
One of India's leading ecologists suggests that the administration would do well to call in an entomologist. ''All they really need to do is to contact the nearest office of the Zoological Survey of India or even one from the Agriculture department,'' says Raghavendra Gadagkar, chairman of the Centre For Ecological Sciences at Bangalore's Indian Institute of Science.

Bats, he explains, are known to bite people.

Strange...

Congrats on your 3700th post. ;)

It's a strange and inconclusive article. I don't follow a lot of it.

What's the link between ball lightning and the manai (man creature?) and if they've established it's ball lightning, why go on to ponder what else it could be?

Last night, a man accidentally killed his mother while shooting at a light he believed was the creature plaguing one of India's most backward-and rumour-prone-regions.
:bugeye:

The ball lightning presumption will clearly take some selling... Genetically engineered insects from Pakistan is one. Laser-equipped terrorists is theory. After all, victims report seeing a flashing red light, then suffer facial injuries.
This makes no sense to me. How can it be either insects or (humans) terrorists? They are so different in size and appearance. And tend not to glow. :rolleyes:

After more than 20 babies were killed, the panic enabled all manner of scores to be settled... The baby-lifters turned out to be a pack of wolves that had lost their habitat and natural prey in a region plagued by deforestation.
HA! Let that be a lesson to all you deforesters!! :mad:

''Even if I have said it, I have not said it,'' he says and laughs.
...What? :confused:

So what is the muhnochwa anyway? ''It could be animals, insects, anything.''
Is this still on about the ball lightning?

Bats, he explains, are known to bite people.
....Like ball lightning does? :confused:

Aside from extraterrestrials being the root of the phenomena ... could the changes the Earth may be under-going be the true cause of some of this phenomena?

KM .... can you respond with some of the alternate boards that users of this forum use in the event that SF goes nighty-night? If you won't declare in public I'll provide an address.

Thanks

I have not visited any alternate forum that is as good as this. I am hoping Dave will find a good job and keep this alive until economy recovers. He needs to find a grant of some short as a public service and alternate means of some income to keep this going.

In the past, alternate boards have lifted the emails from sciforum members list and have invited people to joined. Lately there is no such campaign, which means, everybody is in the same boat.

To me, Sciforum is like ham radio operators who keep connections all over the world. What would be nice if someone could develop a P2P board such that Dave does not have to keep a site operational with the expenses that he incurs. Dave could still maintain a link to all P2P members with a mirror by other moderators.

Originally posted by Clockwood
Yeah... I read about that in the paper. Frankly, I blame it on Pakistan.

LOL.........:D :D . Well .......that's the only logical explaination was given out to vj Pee (prime minister India).

Reports involving attacks by UFOs have also come from Bazil and other S American countries during the 1980's. I recall tales of burns and other wounds allegedly caused by air-borne devices. I think Vallee looked into this. I have no idea how credible those reports were. I suppose I could ask him.... he might be interested in this thread....

It seems burn-causing UFOs like warm climates.

Aliens are here on vacation and are sadists.

Remeber that X-Files episode, when UFOs were creating heat so intense it turned sand into glass? That, like, blew my mind.

Back