Two for one? Charges in "Great White" fire.

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Posted without further comment. I'm going to have to look into this.
Three men have been charged with involuntary manslaughter over the deaths of 100 people in a nightclub fire in the United States in February.

Two brothers who owned the club in Rhode Island have been charged, along with the former tour manager of the heavy metal band, Great White . . . .

. . . .Tuesday's indictment marks the first criminal charges in the case.

Club owners Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, and Great White tour manager Dan Biechele were each charged with 200 counts of involuntary manslaughter - two for each death.

They all deny the charges. (BBC)

• "Three charged over US club fire." BBC News Online, December 9, 2003. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3305159.stm

Anyone stupid enough to listen to Great White....

Next up - Guns and Roses fans!

Well, despite Xev's opinion on the matter, aparently in the eyes of the law, Great White fans are worth 2 people easily. I have no idea if this has anything to do with their value as human beings, possably their weight, or any other contributing factors, but clearly every one human killed was clearly worth the life of two people. Maybe they all had MPD, or were just really two faced or something.

Excellent point, Mystech

I just ... I didn't know you could do that. I could swear that this falls into the domain of Things You're Not Supposed to Do according to the Constitution.

Which, incidentally, is what kills me about the news. Apparently, I'm one of the few people in the world who thinks that you can't charge someone twice for the same crime in this country or else why isn't there a "background" story link on Why can you charge someone twice for a single death?

Don't get me wrong; just like we throw gun-posession charges onto accused murderers just in case, I'm sure there are other aspects of this fire that can be charged against someone. It hadn't occurred to me that, since you can't try someone twice for the same crime, you can get around that by charging someone twice for the same crime and trying each charge once.

I mean, that seems almost a Bushism. If Rhode Island can do this, maybe Bush ought to think about trying terror suspects in Rhode Island.

And since prosecutors want to split hairs this badly, perhaps when the videotapes are shown in court, the defense will be able to argue that yes, the fire might be something people can blame on these defendants, but look at the patrons trampling each other and pushing each other aside. If any of the people pushed aside or knocked down by others died in the fire, it will be harder to convict the defendants, especially when seeking to be so exacting as to charge someone twice with one act.

I saw on the news a mother of one of those deceased saying "he was my only son! Someone must pay!!!"
What the hell is she talking about?! That makes me furiously angry. Just for that she should be punched in the face and no one should have to pay.

Great White=TRVE DEATH!

Yes, it's true kids. Despite the hard work by bands such as a Carcass and Gorguts to invoke images of death and torment, it appears that Great White rises to the top of the festering rotting stack of musical history to proclaim the title of TRVE BRVTALITY!
While Mayhem's lead singer blew his brains out, and GG Allin tortured himself and ODed on heroin, Great White went the extra mile and killed some 100 people!

GREAT WHITE TRIBUTE CD TO THE VICTIMS OF THE ACCIDENT, COMING SOON! Featuring music by Cryptopsy, Immolation, Infernum, Mutiilation! TRVE DEATH!

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

fire.jpg

While Mayhem's lead singer blew his brains out, and GG Allin tortured himself and ODed on heroin, Great White went the extra mile and killed some 100 people!

It's not merely brutal, it's HARD-CORE, MAN!

Re: Excellent point, Mystech

Originally posted by tiassa
I just ... I didn't know you could do that. I could swear that this falls into the domain of Things You're Not Supposed to Do according to the Constitution.

To be honest I was thinking the same thing. What exactly is going on here? Who are these other 100 people, where did they come from? Why are these three people being tried for a crime that was never committed? Does this count as Double Jeopardy, are they being tried twice for the same crime, but rather than waste time on two trials they figured they'd just double the body count and leave it at that? It's really a disgrace. Maybe they're just being tried for the deaths of 100 other unsolved murders in Rhod Island. . . given there's not a damn thing in the world to connect them with any of them, but that's the beauty of Bush's administration subvurting the writ of habius corpus. No body? That doesn't matter, we don't need one to say there was a murder! So now a phantom 100 have died, and I can't help but feel that Rock is somehow to blame.

Back