True Story: Twins Fused Into One Person

certified psycho

Beware of the Shockie Monkey
Registered Senior Member
This sounds like science fiction, but it's not. The woman who stars in this bizarre story--which is not from a supermarket tabloid, but rather the venerable New England Journal of Medicine--is now 52 years old. Her name is Jane. Jane had three sons, all grown now and all of whom were conceived and born the natural way. When one of them needed a kidney transplant, she learned that she--the mother--was not biologically related to her own child. Tests proved that to be true for two of her three sons. It's as if Jane conceived and gave birth to another woman's children.
The study, which was more like an investigation, was led by Dr. Margot Kruskall of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts. New Scientist reports that Kruskall concluded that Jane is a chimera, a mixture of two individuals. What happened is that Jane's mother conceived two non-identical twin sisters whose cells intermingled in the womb and instead of growing into two people, fused into a single body.
The cells from one twin dominate in Jane's blood, but in other tissues, including her ovaries, cells from both twins live alongside each other. And that explains why two of her three sons have the genetics of Jane's fraternal twin. It's as if Jane gave birth to her unborn twin sister's children. There are about 30 instances of chimerism that have been reported worldwide.

Hahaha
The title just makes me laugh.
It would be funny if the "twins" were just one normal human in every single way.... EXCEPT they were constantly in pain.

:bugeye: Hmm im not so sure that would kick ass but it does sound interesting. did you all know that it is possible to have an unborn fetus within your body and not know it? if you were concieved along with a twin but your bodies grew in such a way that yours enveloped your siblings and you grew and the fetus stayed the same size and because it hadnt fully formed bones you wouldnt see it in an X-ray. you would never ever ever know.:bugeye: ........................:m: ................................

Heard it before. Chimeras can even be made in a lab: take a white mouse embryo and mix it up with a black mouse embryo and vala you have a gray mouse.

Also on who the identity of the chimara is: she is both her sister and her self at teh same time! Her sisters children are also hers as she is the sole own of both cell lines. So there is no "unborn sister".

maxpowers200169,

I have heard of that, but never seen documentation... still freaks me out!

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....
Single born baby
Siamese twin
Identical Twin
Chimaera
Fraternal twin
They are pretty much confusing......

maxpowers, that happened to my mother!
she never knew she had that nasty thing in her untill she was about 20 and it began to develope. it was simply treated as cancer, and cut out. as i recal from her ralating the story, it had no bones, but when they removed from the side of her itestines it had bits of cartiledge, and hair, and even some muscle tisue. it would not have formed properly as a normal fetis would have, though.

Whoa.
What makes such incomplete separations? If both genetics and outer factors are into accounts, I'll have to get dizzy bout that again....

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
Heard it before. Chimeras can even be made in a lab: take a white mouse embryo and mix it up with a black mouse embryo and vala you have a gray mouse.

I think a chimera refers to an end product in which the 'black' and 'white' cells contribute both to every organ, resulting in an adult that looks like a patchwork of black and white populations of cells, and not grey cells. Hence no grey mouse, but a black and white mouse.

Ture it is patch-work but from afar it looks grey, besides it alot easier to say grey then to say patch-work grey.
chimera.jpg

Chimera.jpg

Chimera cat, oh the horror!
Chimera.jpg

Back