trilobite beetle?

domesticated om

Stickler for details
Valued Senior Member
Someone posted a video to Youtube about an insect named "trilobite beetle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ZGFrdbbBA
My first immediate thought was to assume it was a trilobite descendant. I was originally under the impression that the "trilobite" line died out with the Permian mass extinction.

....so I tried to find information on it, but google didn't pull up any results. Neither did wikipedia (which I thought was a bit odd). . I revisited the video too see if there were any other details about it. The blurb to the right of the video says:

Youtube said:
Neotonous female trilobite beetle Duliticola (Lycidae) in Gunung Mulu National Park/ Sarawak/ Malaysia/ Borneo

.....so I guess it's an adult larval stage for some sort of insect from Borneo.......but still haven't found any real info on it.

Anybody have any information about this thing?

There are also beetles called "stag beetles", "goliath beetles", and "rhinoceros beetles" - they have nothing to do, taxonomically, with bachelor parties, Biblical figures, or African quadrupeds.

Yeah, but outside visual, isn't there a bit of a "parent^child" correlation within the name?

kinda like "intestine worm" - assuming it were named for its similarity in appearance to a human intestine, you may at first think it was some sort of parasite.

Trilobites are so named because their bodies have three lobes. It wouldn't be remarkable to use that same naming convention again.

This is, indeed, a fascinating creature. After seeing the video, I had decided to search the internet for any information I could find about it. I was having very little luck finding it and stumbled upon this forum and thread hoping to find the information. The biological notes in the first reply were quite informative, but only left me with more questions than when I had begun.

It was sort of sad to see that, in a forum dedicated to science, domesticated om's post was met with sarcasm. So, for Om's sake, I decided that I would register and come back to post the information I found here; if I could find it.

And here it is:
The female Trilobite "Larva"
ww.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8983/stories/trilobit.html

And her enigmatic male counterpart:
ww.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8983/stories/trilobite2.html

Hope these sites gave you the information you were looking for, Om. ^__^

Toodles.

Back