Trial By Jury - A Necessity Of Reform?

David Szach

Registered Member
I would appreciate an objectivity of comment For and Against on the necessity of a Jury to (identity) what became (significant) to the outcome of its verdict against the Plea of an accused.

Jury Act (Criminal) Trial by Jury

Because Alfred the Great, when he invented trial by jury and knew that he had admirably framed it to secure justice in his age of the world, was not aware that in the nineteenth century the condition of things would be so entirely changed … For how could he imagine that we simpletons would go on using his jury plan after circumstances had stripped it of its usefulness, any more than he could imagine that we would go on using his candle-clock after we had invented chronometers?

––- Mark Twain, ROUGHING IT (1872), Chap XLVIII

Intent of Amendment:

To have ensured the sufficiency of prosecutorial cases to exercise the highest standard of integrity throughout that process of evidencing the Guilt of an accused. By excluding that potentiality of an (prejudicially impaired and\or erroneous) verdict.

In each prosecutorial case, there requires to be (evidenced) and satisfied - that each (element) of that alleged criminality, has been established to the Sitting Majority of the Jury. In which, each member has sworn to collectively Deliberate and return a fair and just verdict.

Implicit of that Deliberative process - is the (inherent obligation) of the Jury (as a united body), to weight each evidential element – against the Closing Directions and Instructions of the Presiding Justice.

I.e: Hearsay (3rd Party) evidence cannot be corroboratively relied as proof of a factual event. As opposed to (1st and Direct), on which corroborative of, becomes actual of that factual event.

A process which consequent of, stands empowered to determine;

1.. If the Prosecution has established firstly, that body of evidence and, secondly, if the guilt of the accused has been established.
2.. In the instance of a (circumstantial) prosecution, if, that same body of evidence – excludes that possibility of the accused’s innocence.

Foremostly, becomes that Legislation obligation to ensure the right of an accused to be (judged) on the evidence impartially and fair. To protectively so ensure – by formally requiring of the Jury, to (identify) firstly what became required to be proved and, secondly, actual of, to isolate and identify, what (evidence) became singular and\or implicit of, to that certainty of Guilt.

--- Consideration should also be given to the Legislative introduction of a “Not Proven” Verdict. As to have addressed that prevailing issue of Double Jeopardy. A Verdict of “Not Guilty” would become a (factual finding) of innocence ---

The necessity of such Amendment, is to balance-out what became the same (rationale) behind - that necessity for the Verdict of the Jury to reflect the Majority of, as opposed to Unanimously of each.

Such Amendment of, would not weaken, undermine or otherwise compromise the Statutory Obligation of State - to Protect and Serve. Rather, to stand in (testament) to the intent of State, to ensure the standing (equality) of each citizen governed.

Of so ensuring, no victim of Judicial Inadequacy, will be denied that right of having otherwise (excused) the merit actual - of such possibility.

Implicit of that Legislative Amendment is to (minimise) the time an (innocent) remains held behind bars. The cost to State and public confidence.

Again, your comments thereof would be appreciated.

David Szach
09/03/2008

Well the problem with trial by jury is that juries are more likly to be influenced by emotion than evidence. Of course the same could be said of judges but it is less likly than with a jury picked exactly for this purpose

Many times , in todays society, we have jury that are already predjudiced either for or against the accused. They won't disclose that information many times when they are being selected. In todays society the " average" juror has only a high school education if that. They can be easy manipulated by good attorneys and therefore are easily swayed . Another example is ethnic consideration. As in the OJ Simpson case, there wasn't any other person that was found to have either mootive or the time in which to kill his wife and the pizza man but OJ himself. Yet the jury set him free when the "race" card was used, isn't that interesting?

You're right, Cosmic. It couldn't possibly be that a combination of factors including shoddy and even corrupt police work, a semi-competent prosecution team, problems with the prosecution theory (e.g. time frame), and a poignant if simplistic and exploitative stunt (the bloody glove "didn't fit") added up to reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors. The race card alone wouldn't have done it.

In most cases, in America at least, every person accused of a crime is given the choice of being tried by a judge or by a jury. The prosecution does not have this choice, it is entirely up to the defendant. It's still not perfect but I don't know how you could devise a better system using real people, and I'll be damned if I'll ever put my fate in the virtual hands of a computer!

Many times , in todays society, we have jury that are already predjudiced either for or against the accused. They won't disclose that information many times when they are being selected. In todays society the " average" juror has only a high school education if that. They can be easy manipulated by good attorneys and therefore are easily swayed . Another example is ethnic consideration. As in the OJ Simpson case, there wasn't any other person that was found to have either mootive or the time in which to kill his wife and the pizza man but OJ himself. Yet the jury set him free when the "race" card was used, isn't that interesting?

The above argument would not be one that would work on me if you were the prosecutor and I was on the jury.

No one else had the motive or the time...this just does not hold up.

I have some understanding for that jury. A key witness was found to be a liar. He was lying about language and perhaps attitudes related to race. But he was lying. That's a problem. The glove display also worked poorly for the prosecution. I mean, I think the guy did it, but there were problems with the prosecution and beyond a reasonable doubt is a heavy burden. With good reason.

edit: Tiassa beat me to the punch and concisely ta boot.

Stacking the Deck: We must do better than this

Sowhatifit'sdark said:

I mean, I think the guy did it, but there were problems with the prosecution and beyond a reasonable doubt is a heavy burden.

See, this is the thing. More specifically, it seems this is one of the examples of that bit about the price of liberty being eternal vigilance. In theory (says me) 'tis better to set a hundred guilty men free than convict wrongly one innocent person. Still, those hundred OJs and Jackos are a problem. What to do?

We just need to do better. Okay, strike the "just". That makes it sound too simple.

An example I mentioned ... well, somewhere around this site. I was called for jury duty once upon a time, and actually went in to serve. I was drawn for selection on a bail jumping case (yes, we still call it "bail jumping" in Snohomish County, apparently). As the selection process went forward, I noticed a couple of disturbing things. Understandably, the defense attorney wanted hardnosed bias off the jury. But the judge bent over backwards trying to keep one guy on the jury. The guy was prepared to start hauling his son's history with cocaine into the courtroom to prove that he wasn't going to give a fair trial (the suspected allegedly jumped a cocaine trafficking charge), but a familial horror story was not, in the judge's opinion, cause for dismissal. He forced the defense attorney to burn a peremptory objection on that guy. To the other, the prosecutor asked us what we thought a defense attorney's job was. And this is what really disturbed me. Anyone who mentioned "fair trial", the defendant's "rights", or the Constitution was dismissed on peremptory objection. So here's the thing: We may think defense attorneys are sleazy sharks, but prosecutors want the jury packed with superstitious people who know jack squat about the law and the Constitution. At least, that's how it works in Snohomish County.

I mentioned this to my father, a dedicated practitioner of practicality. He said, "Well, of course". I mentioned this to my brother, who is religiously practical. He said, "Well, duh." I told the story to a lawyer I happened to meet once upon a time over a beer on the deck of some guy's boat. The lawyer nodded and said, "That sounds about right." Now, maybe the small sample equals coincidence or suggests bias, but it does seem I'm not the only person to ever notice this point about our prosecutors.

The question with the Ollie North and OJ Simpson trials—they dropped the pretense by the time they got to Jacko—was, "Under what rock are you going to find twelve people who haven't heard of this case?"

• • •​

To the other, what, exactly, does it mean, "a jury of one's peers"? I believe I could give any number of people a fair trial who could not do the same for me.

The phrase "a jury of one's peers" is a part of the American lexicon, yet surprisingly it nowhere appears in the Constitution .... Some of the most significant decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court controlling jury composition, moreover, have been based not on the Sixth Amendment but on the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection of the laws. "

Who sits on the jury, of course, can have a great impact on the outcome of a trial. Yet until very recently, the pool of potential jurors called did not reflect the diversity of their communities, and prospective jurors were dismissed from jury service because of their race, gender, class, or even religion. Today the federal courts and most state courts have adopted outreach strategies to increase the total number of prospective jurors and to create jury pools which reflect more accurately their communities. The U.S. Supreme Court and various state courts also have made it harder for prospective jurors to be dropped simply because of a group to which they belong.

(CRFC.org)

Notes:

Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago. "A Jury of One's Peers". http://www.crfc.org/americanjury/jury_peers.html

Just to be clear, my 'heavy' in heavy burden was not meant as criticism. It should be heavy, and I am not surprised by what you found to be true about prosecutors during jury selection.

You'd think there could be an honorable foundation. But then how this would all play out, I don't know. Each side is positioned to be ruthless since the other side will be. Game theory messing things up. The judge however has less excuses.

Back