Transcription regulation and animal diversity

paulsamuel

Registered Senior Member
evolutionary forces other than strict darwinian adaptationism appear to be driving (or responsible for) diversity (at least in animals).

from Nature July 10 2003 Vol 424 No 6945 pp 147-151

Transcription regulation and animal diversity.

Michael Levine* & Robert Tjian*†

Whole-genome sequence assemblies are now available for seven different animals, including nematode worms, mice and humans.
Comparative genome analyses reveal a surprising constancy in genetic content: vertebrate genomes have only about twice the
number of genes that invertebrate genomes have, and the increase is primarily due to the duplication of existing genes rather than
the invention of new ones. How, then, has evolutionary diversity arisen? Emerging evidence suggests that organismal complexity
arises from progressively more elaborate regulation of gene expression.

Well he’s claiming some other force would have to be involved other then solely Darwinian evolution?

I know, but I haven't read the article yet. There should be something revolutionary in it for it to be anti-darwinian. SHould be an interesting read.

wellcooked

that's not what i said.

the contrast is between a strict adaptationist interpretation of evolution and a broader view with evolutionary forces of neutral characters, regulatory elements and exaptation (may be others I can't think of off hand).

S.J. Gould writes about this contrast (i'm hesistant to call it a controversy, though many would) in the first chapter of his book, The Structure of Evolutionary Theory.

The abstract of the review to which I referred is about the gene regulation.

Back