Top 10 Least Religious Countries

Ganymede

Valued Senior Member
1. Sweden (up to 85% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)
2. Vietnam
3. Denmark
4. Norway
5. Japan
6. Czech Republic
7. Finland
8. France
9. South Korea
10. Estonia (up to 49% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

The one that surprised me was Israel, ranking 19th, with up to 37% claiming to be non-believer, atheist, agnostic. Compare that with the US, ranking 44th, with 3-9% non-believers, atheists, agnostics. (I think I have met them all on the streets of New York City , too.)

The survey concluded that "high levels of organic atheism are strongly correlated with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant mortality rates, and low illiteracy rates, as well as high levels of educational attainment, per capita income, and gender equality

. Most nations characterized by high degrees of individual and societal security have the highest rates of organic atheism, and conversely, nations characterized by low degrees of individual and societal security have the lowest rates of organic atheism. In some societies, particularly Europe , atheism is growing. However, throughout much of the world – particularly nations with high birth rates – atheism is barely discernable."

http://www.gadling.com/2007/08/23/least-religious-countries/

This only reinforces what most atheist already knew. A few more words of wisdom by the late Arthur C. Clarke.

The statement that God created man in his own image is ticking like a time bomb in the foundations of Christianity. ,

I have encountered a few creationists and because they were usually nice, intelligent people, I have been unable to decide whether they were _really_ mad, or only pretending to be mad. If I was a religious person, I would consider creationism nothing less than blasphemy. Do its adherents imagine that God is a cosmic hoaxer who has created that whole vast fossil record for the sole purpose of misleading mankind? [Arthur C. Clarke, June 5, 1998, in the essay Presidents, Experts, and Asteroids, pp 1532-3]

:p

I'm sure there is a correlate but it's misleading to suggest Atheism results in.....

I think it's more that high income (or government policy) has led to a better society which then leads to a general trend in the population towards Atheism. Funny enough, if the World was a peace and prosperous, as most Religions say they support (I think?) then it would probably end with people becoming Atheists as that is the natural tendencey of prosperous people at peace.

This is very misleading atheistic propaganda. The keyword here is organic atheism...meaning it has absolutely nothing to do with atheism itself, rather it has to do with people naturally organically choosing their beliefs, organic anything results in a better society...

For instance when the Soviets had banned all religion their society didn't improve at all because of atheism, non-believers, a lack of religion, etc...

I'm sure there is a correlate but it's misleading to suggest Atheism results in.....

I think it's more that high income (or government policy) has led to a better society which then leads to a general trend in the population towards Atheism. Funny enough, if the World was a peace and prosperous, as most Religions say they support (I think?) then it would probably end with people becoming Atheists as that is the natural tendencey of prosperous people at peace.

It's still undeniable that a lack of religion removes a hotbed of opportunities for flared tempers, hurt feelings, misunderstandings or even the ocassional 'civil warzone' a-la Protestant-Catholic.

But I must say, that prosperity does indeed encourage an independence from religion. Individuals lacking for nothing do not generally seek religion as a support structure.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that in some of these European countries citizenship automatically associated you with the church. Is that right?

Really? I thought they only do that when you as the individual subscribe to a particular religion. And I also thought they did that to regulate the tithing/donation system that churches enjoy metting out (outside of census reasons).

Wow, North America, Central America, and South America didn't even contribute 1 contry to the list.

people in my country (sweden) think they're so smart just because they don't believe in god...

Where is North Korea or China? Aren't they athiest?

They've got other problems but you have to look at the whole picture. It doesn't negate the negatives of religion either.

Taking into other considerations, the result shows less religion is usually a healthier society.

Citizens are considered to be members of the state church unless they explicitly associate themselves with another denomination; 86 percent of the population nominally belong to the state church. However, actual church attendance is considered to be rather low. Other denominations operate freely.
http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2003/24426.htm

That is Norway; I am certain other Scandinavian countries are similar.

Any residents here?

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/irf/2003/24426.htm

That is Norway; I am certain other Scandinavian countries are similar.

Any residents here?

Not a resident, but I've done a bit of travelling and so has my da. Basically, you're a member of the church, you pay taxes to support its upkeep (important when the damn thing is 500 years old!) but most Scandinavians don't see the inside of a church except for baptisms, weddings and funerals.

Not a resident, but I've done a bit of travelling and so has my da. Basically, you're a member of the church, you pay taxes to support its upkeep (important when the damn thing is 500 years old!) but most Scandinavians don't see the inside of a church except for baptisms, weddings and funerals.

So why does the state support the church? As a historical monument? And what are the rules for building religious places for other denominations? I know they routinely refuse requests for mosques.

From what I understand, it's basically because the churches are works of art and nobody would want to lose them, and because nobody really cares enough to change the situation.
Can't answer the latter question, though.

Back