Too much cortisol Is bad for brain And body? How Much Is Excess?

davekm

Banned
Banned
Adrenaline raises cortisol. Too much cortisol is bad for physical and mental faculties.

If you go to football (soccer) matches, which are very loud, or music gig, this can be 2 hours raised adrenaline and cortisol. Is this too much?

The main thing to worry about with loud noise is damage to your hearing.

Like many other hormones produced in the body, cortisol has a broad spectrum of effects. I wouldn't classify it as harmful, since it has obvious beneficial purposes - otherwise it wouldn't be there at all.

Did you have some lab work done that showed high cortisol levels? I'm curious how you came up with this concern in the first place.

I wouldn't link cortisol to being around excitement. In can be produced in your sleep, in romantic situations, or in response to blood sugar and insulin levels.

I think if you want to change your lifestyle thinking that you are going to control a regulatory hormone that can harm you, then you should probably see a doctor. One thing you want to avoid is a tendency to worry about something that's not really a problem at all, perhaps because you came across some information that put that idea in your head.

If you want to live a long and healthy life, one thing most doctors prescribe is this.

Yeah, don't worry about 'too much' cortisol unless you're actually having some sort of physical illness from it.

Too high is way, way better than too low.

My worry came from claims that excessive cortisol causes brain damage, poor sleep and low sex drive? Here is source for this

I just think that with the violent videogames/tv, loud music I consume, I most likely live a high cortisol lifestyle.

Oh I see. Interesting article. You may be right - you may be living a high stress life. Of course normal stress in unavoidable. Certain things that come with civilization, like rushing around in traffic, trying to make a buck, keeping up with responsibilities, etc., can add up. Add to that sedentary stress like video games or maybe even stressful movies, and then staying up late partying - I can see what you mean. Especially if there's academics or work piling up too.

One thing you might want to do is to track your blood pressure to see what kind of activities may be causing it to rise. You can get one for around $30 at a discount store I think, maybe even less.

Other than that, don't hesitate to get a check up.

But yes, if you really wanted to lower stress, you could try yoga/meditation, long walks in scenic places, take up painting or music or attend theatre and symphony performances, plus a regular program of vigorous exercise with sunshine and fresh air to keep your spirits up.

As for the effects of cortisol on the brain: people in very stressful occupations (police, emergency room personnel, soldiers, etc.) would then exhibit mental effects. We see this in PTSD among soldiers. It would be really amazing if it turned out to have a preventable chemical cause (supposing there were a pill to limit cortisol production). But I also wonder what other problems are this group inheriting: early onset of dimentia? Attention or learning deficits? Depression? A lot of that could go unnoticed.

My worry came from claims that excessive cortisol causes brain damage, poor sleep and low sex drive?
High cortisol is bad in the long term.
Weeks, months, years of sustained high cortisol (or glucocorticoid drug therapy) is not good for you.
A couple of hours at a soccer match is not a problem.

What about violent videogames/tv & loud music?

I would think that violent media activates the fight or flight response.

Back