three day and three nights

Knife

Familyman G
Registered Senior Member
i have a question in reference to the three days and three nights referenced in the bible (if you want quotes, i can provide).

my understanding is that "good friday" is the day jesus died on the cross. Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (tenth edition), defines good friday as "the Friday before Easter observed in churches as the anniversary of the
crucifixion of Christ." this is also the jist of Mark 15:42.

now if early sunday morning Mary Magdalene discovers the tomb open and jesus missing (reference John 20:1, Mark 16:9), where does the "three days and three nights" come in?

I thought it just said he rose on the third day - died on Friday (1st day), in limbo on Saturday (2nd day), and rose on Sunday (the 3rd day).

The whole duration seems to only be 2 days, i.e, Friday to Saturday, and Saturday to Sunday. And it can only have been 2 nights, Friday night and Saturday night.

So let's see the quote where it can't add up, if it's in the bible then we shouldn't be surprised.

Kat

i have a question in reference to the three days and three nights referenced in the bible (if you want quotes, i can provide).
I think it's incorrect to use the plural here. The three days and three nights only appears once in reference to the sign of Jonah.

The way ancient Jews told time would allow for the prophesies concerning three days and the third day, and there are quotes within the Talmud to back this up. As for the three days and three nights, I've heard from a professor online that in the ancient aramaic that Jesus spoke three days and three night was an idiom much like when we say "I worked all day and night" we don't really mean we worked constantly the entire day.

okinrus said:
I think it's incorrect to use the plural here. The three days and three nights only appears once in reference to the sign of Jonah.

The way ancient Jews told time would allow for the prophesies concerning three days and the third day, and there are quotes within the Talmud to back this up. As for the three days and three nights, I've heard from a professor online that in the ancient aramaic that Jesus spoke three days and three night was an idiom much like when we say "I worked all day and night" we don't really mean we worked constantly the entire day.

Matthew 12:40 "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. "

my understanding here is the reference to jesus in the tomb.

the idiom explanation makes sense and is a fair explanation.

thanks.

There's an article here: How Long Was Jesus in the Tomb?
By the method of reckoning time in Jesus society, such a short period, scarcely more than a day—a part of Friday, all of Saturday, and a part of Sunday—would have fulfilled his prophecy that he would be raised from the dead on the third day after his death.
There's also an interesting paragraph about the sign of Jonah - that it referred to Jesus' preaching, and not his death. The three days and nights in the belly of the whale was certainly prophetic, but it isn't decisive (literal) - as okinrus said, it was an expression, but a significant expression.

There was a total solar eclipse when jesus was crucified, i recall reading somewhere. The darkness at that time might be referred symbolically as night. from the cross to resurrection you may count 3 nights and 3 days.

everneo,

There was a total solar eclipse when jesus was crucified, i recall reading somewhere. The darkness at that time might be referred symbolically as night. from the cross to resurrection you may count 3 nights and 3 days.
That really is a stretch. No one knows the date of the alleged crucifixion.

Kat

It seems, it was guessed that it was a solar eclipse that caused the darkness and based on that information there were attepmts to determine the date of crucification.

Back