Thoughts on Using Omnipotence to Explain the Unexplained

Athelwulf

Rest in peace Kurt...
Registered Senior Member
Life. The universe. Everything. Everything is so mind-blowingly complex and grand. It's almost breath-taking. Just about everything seems to work efficiently, as if orchestrated.

What could be responsible for all this?

Perhaps, just perhaps, there is some force. Or some being. A nearly omnipotent one. It could've made everything that we see. It must be omnipotent, or else everything wouldn't have come out so well. It would've been thoroughly competent in making universes if it were omnipotent, so it would have been a cinch for it to make everything.

Just think of it! All the universe's complexity, created by such a grand entity.

... How anticlimactic.

———​

This should speak for itself. I wanted my point to be short, sweet, and strong. But if it doesn't speak for itself to you, feel free to ask me to elaborate. I'll try my best.

Oh, and discuss, I guess.

Edit: A fitting and impressive 2,222nd post, I'd say.

Very true. It pretty much explains the wonder completely away, if you ask me.

What's so efficient? The universe has been growing ever more chaotic since the beginning.

I think it makes everything even more of a mystery! Just because "supposedly" a higher diety created the Earth doesnt mean it isnt cool to find out the earth was once hell of a place to live on with volcanoes :D

A) Why stop at the Universe? Why not go for "reality"?
My question then is: What created the "creator"?

B) It could be that the universe is one of an infinite number of universes, multiverses - most of which exist without "life". Some have life - ours being one of them.

I personally think this is a much better explaination,
Michael

an "infinite number of universes" or "multiverses" still is basically a universe... the universe is everything that exists... how can you have more than one?

Athelwulf said:
Life. The universe. Everything. Everything is so mind-blowingly complex and grand. It's almost breath-taking. Just about everything seems to work efficiently, as if orchestrated.

What could be responsible for all this?

Perhaps, just perhaps, there is some force. Or some being. A nearly omnipotent one. It could've made everything that we see. It must be omnipotent, or else everything wouldn't have come out so well. It would've been thoroughly competent in making universes if it were omnipotent, so it would have been a cinch for it to make everything.

Just think of it! All the universe's complexity, created by such a grand entity.

... How anticlimactic.

———​

This should speak for itself. I wanted my point to be short, sweet, and strong. But if it doesn't speak for itself to you, feel free to ask me to elaborate. I'll try my best.

Oh, and discuss, I guess.

Edit: A fitting and impressive 2,222nd post, I'd say.

Hmmm... Surely you jest? Oh. Right. :m:

Provita said:
an "infinite number of universes" or "multiverses" still is basically a universe... the universe is everything that exists... how can you have more than one?
There is that little matter of my initial question: What created the "creator"?

I sense a bit of confusion on the purpose of my post. I was demonstrating that to explain the big, complex universe by saying that a very powerful being created it takes away the wonder. It takes the awe-inspiring, and it mutates it into something that would be expected and, therefore, less awe-inspiring.

Such is the logic of humans, I suppose.

Athelwulf said:
I sense a bit of confusion on the purpose of my post. I was demonstrating that to explain the big, complex universe by saying that a very powerful being created it takes away the wonder.

Why? Does knowing that Mozart's music was created by a man called Mozart make the wonder go away, or does it add to it?

It takes the awe-inspiring, and it mutates it into something that would be expected and, therefore, less awe-inspiring.

Ironically, what you just described is the description of the universe given by science: everything that happens is to be expected because there is no logical alternative. The beauty of a divine universe is that, like a good novel, there is no reason at all for anything that happens inside it, apart from the will of the creator.

Back