Thoughts on Labor Day

What are the theoretical origins of 'property'?

• All property rights come from the sovereign, doling out individual rights to the citizenry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pandaemoni

Valued Senior Member
A friend and I were discussing whether conservatives should "celebrate" Labor Day on a theoretical level, given that it's origins lie mostly in the union and labor movements and "progressive" ideals. He took the position that, as labor is the origin of all property, it was a fine thing for conservatives to celebrate it. He stated it rather matter-of-factly, and seemed surprised that I did not take his theory as PoliSci gospel.

This led me to wonder if other take his position (or whether people think about it at all).

His view, to give his side, is largely derived from Locke, who wrote that men own their own labor naturally and that by mixing their labor with the free products around them they make the product of those mabors their property. Stated more eloquently:

Though the earth, and all inferior creatures, be common to all men, yet every man has a property in his own person: this no body has any right to but himself. The labour of his body, and the work of his hands, we may say, are properly his. Whatsoever then he removes out of the state that nature hath provided, and left it in, he hath mixed his labour with, and joined to it something that is his own, and thereby makes it his property. It being by him removed from the common state nature hath placed it in, it hath by this labour something annexed to it, that excludes the common right of other men: for this labour being the unquestionable property of the labourer

While this theory definitely rattled around in the heads of the Founding Fathers and many other Enlightenment Era thinkers, it seems to me to not be the origin of American (and western, generally) notions of property. I think the law of property can be traced as a progression from a feudal origin, the root of which was that the sovereign owned all the land. From there a series of complicated changes occurred that led us to our current state of widely distributed property.

At a most basic level there is no real reason to put much stock in Locke's "labor theory" of ownership. The Lockean theory was historically closely linked to the "labor theory of value" for obvious reasons, and we've now rejected that in the face of incontrovertible proof that, in a competitive economy, price is not directly related to the labor that went into producing the good or service in question.

Though it does have a lot of appeal to it, and seems to raise the possibility of placing property rights at the level of a "natural right" (as opposed to a mere societal construct), I think it's appeal comes from being raised in a culture that indirectly parrots it back at us, due to Locke's heavy influence on the founders. Look closer though, and even they seemed to live in a world of sovereign dominion.
This labor theory, in my mind, has a lot of appeal because it has shaped our laws and political discourse for so long. We can imagine the noble, ancient homesteader traversing bronze age Europe with his family, settling near a village and setting up a farm. We then imagine the land "becoming" his because he worked it, and he then hands it off to his children, and so on down the ages.

In reality though, we all know that property rights in the modern era are set and regulated by the government and its laws. Granted that many of the rules were crafted by men who believed in the Lockean theory, but even more recent homesteaders cannot simple work open land and claim title to it.

The Homestead Act for example, only gave an applicant title to up to 160 acres, no matter how much land he fenced off and worked, and there were steps involved in getting it (like filing an application and other documents) in addition to the mixing of labor with the soil. It was clearly a grant from the government, and they set the conditions on it that they liked. The Homestead Act was a great liberalization (in the good sense) of the Preemption Act, which made homesteaders pay the federal government for any land. Earlier still, as America formed, royal charters were granted, spelling out the rights of the sovereign and the people on the land, and those strongly clearly indicated that these were grants by the King of England, rather than land being taken as the result of labor-driven improvements. (They also ignored the possibility that the natives had any right to the land, labor or no labor.)

If there is a basis of property in modern western law, it seems to me that the origin was the feudal rule that everything belongs to the government (or king or other noble freeholder, or local lord in the case of personal property) who can then "alienate" it to you under certain circumstances. To use the technical terminology "allodial title" was initially held only by the king, in England, especially just after 1066 when William the Conqueror expropriated all the land of England to himself. As the kings alienated land to the churches and local lords, and local lords alienated land and goods to merchants, townsfolk, churches and others, the wealth became more generally disbursed. Eventually (despite interludes whether people in Britain were prevented by law from alienating property due to the perception that it was "too dispersed"), where patterns of property ownership are so complex that we no longer see the direct link back to the crown.

Even the basic notion (which I myself find hard to shake) that we "own" our labor was not true under feudal law. Serfs did not own even the clothes on their backs which they made themselves. All of their property belonged to the lord, and they used it only because he allowed them to do so. They crops they planted were likewise his, and he let them keep a portion only because it let them live to farm another year and because it was customary. If he wanted them to starve, though, they did. Their labor was freed up only if they could escape from the lord for a period of years (long enough to be free of their serfdom) or, more generally, when the population of serfs declined and different lords started to have to compete for their services (a serf was not allowed to leave his land, by law, without his lord's permission, but the feudal arrangements were complex with each lord having multiple lords above him and multiple liege lords above that, so it was often hard to enforce when other lords wanted your serfs). Increased autonomy and even cash payment, became more common and serfs found themselves "owning" personal property (though still no real property, as their ownership of that came only later).

Vestiges of this old system still remain (in the overused "eminent domain" for example, which has direct feudal origins (though no compensation was necessarily required initially). Part of the reason why eminent domain clashes with our modern notion of property is that it is based on a fundamental dominion of the government over all land, which we have become unaccustomed to recognizing. (That said, in any third world nation, the possibility of "nationalization" of assets is always there.)

In fact it's vastly more complicated than I make it out to be above (but I am not prepared to write a book on it), but my take is that we have a strong intuitive connection to Lockean value theory because we've been inculcating that theory into out thinking for about 300 years and in many cases it seems to work for us.

The reality, then, is that "property" is a social construct. It's based on rules (Lockean or otherwise) that the society is willing to enforce in order to maintain a certain degree or order, ensure some amount of economic efficiency or other goals deemed desirable by the decision makers within the society. Our original rule, that led us to the current state of affairs, was that allodial title is held by the sovereign, who then alienates it, while still retaining the right to act as sovereign over it. In some cases, the allodial sovereign might well allow people to make use of the land without formality or payment, but in the same way a modern owner can allow squatters to take over his property without objection.

So, in your view, what are the theoretical underpinnings of "property."

Why not ask the Native Americans about this "property" you speak about and see if they think your ideas are true and honest .

well we have to live together. one way or another.

As long as you have what it is you want I guess you will be correct but how about those that don't want to give up what they already own as "property"?

Why not ask the Native Americans about this "property" you speak about and see if they think your ideas are true and honest .

My theory of property works very well with the existence of the natives recognized. My theory is that "property" is a series of interests that we as a society are prepared to enforce, that ultimately in time immemorial flowed from the government under our system.

It's clear enough that the government ignored and was unwilling to enforce any rights that the natives may have had in the land from which we displaced them (and again, the King of England granted charters to the new colonies without concern for the property rights of the natives). The most notable exception were the Dutch, which at least try to buy Manhattan from them.

At bottom though, we ignored their "property" rights because under our system they had none, because "property" rights only exist where we agree that they do. That "we" includes only westerners, with the natives themselves not getting a say. That may not be fair, but that's where our sense of "property" comes from.

So then only those who are in charge get to say who owns property? That seems to be against all that doesn't make common sense. If someone already owns something what gives anyone the right to take it away then sell it as there own?

So then only those who are in charge get to say who owns property? That seems to be against all that doesn't make common sense. If someone already owns something what gives anyone the right to take it away then sell it as there own?

Every culture could be different. Even in the U.S. (where people often think property is inviolable) if the government wants your stuff, they can take it. In our tradition,they have to pay you "fair value" for it, but it's the government who decides what that means (either the executive or the courts) and it's often not what the pre-taking owner thinks is "fair."

Go outside the U.S. and governments often take property without giving compensation, especially to foreigners. In fact, that is what the British crown did when it muscled in on North America. Even if the natives did not understand "property" in the same way we did, the Dutch understood it, and they were unceremoniously pushed out without compensation.

The greatest interest you or I can have in property is called a "fee simple" interest, and it's a curious term because we think of having an "estate in fee simple" as "ownership." So why even have the obscure term? Because there were estates above it in feudal law, with the greatest being "allodial" title. If you held land in allodium, then you would not owe an obligation to anyone with respect to it, you'd be, in effect, a sovereign, at least on your own land. Police could not enter it, it could not be taxed, the king from which you got it could not regulate it, etc. The crown rarely gave those rights out, though, and the land we have was generally not a part of such an allodial grant. Fee simple grants were subject to rights of escheat, expropriation, eminent domain (which at the time meant "regulation") and taxation, and so our land remains today to greater and lesser degrees. (Property even escheats to the state upon certain circumstances, albeit very rarely these days. Still nothing prohibits states from changing the law to require the escheat of property in broader sets of circumstances.)

The question seems to have one foot in some kind of abstract, "natural" sense of ownership, and one foot in legal, government enforced ownership.

The common and "natural" ownership of artistic creation, for example, is one of the most difficult to codify in law. Meanwhile the strange notion of ownership of land one is not at the moment occupying, may never have even seen, is one of the easiest.

The question seems to have one foot in some kind of abstract, "natural" sense of ownership, and one foot in legal, government enforced ownership.

But, sociologically speaking, our "natural" sense of ownership varies from culture to culture. In hunter gatherer societies our common notions of ownership are largely alien, as their existence tends to engender a broader sense of sharing and communal ownership.

Again also, the idea "I made it and therefore it's mine" is as near as I can tell manifested far more strongly in the post-Lockean worldthan before Locke. It may be the most efficient rule to adopt, if one wants to encourage making things, but I am not convinced it's a natural instinct as a opposed to a culturally developed one.

If I had to judge the most natural property related instinct, in the way that Locke did (i.e. without reference to anything more than my own speculation), I would suggest that the most natural property instinct is "everything belongs to the strongest person who wants it."

Back