Thinking past what we are told

Dangerousthinking

Registered Member
The universe as we know it makes sense, yet makes no sense at all, which leads me to wonder:

How exactly can the universe be infinite, when the concept of that is technically impossible? What if the universe as we know it was simply a theory and there is something beyond that?

Which then bring us to the idea of God and the creation of the universe. If a higher power did not create it, how could it even have happened? It makes absolutely no sense, being one of the mysteries to life, I think it is time we start thinking into alternate theories.

Your post makes no sense :D

And we do not KNOW that universe is infinite. It is entirely possible it is finite.

Most people are more likely to go by what they are told than think past it.

Ok lets make a thought experiment.
Lets say that our univers was a cube of water located in the atlantic ocean.
Would that univers be infinite?

Ok lets make a thought experiment.
Lets say that our univers was a cube of water located in the atlantic ocean.
Would that univers be infinite?

It would be finite. Youd have to go beyond the boundaries of the cube to experience more. The basic substance filling the cube may be the same as what fills the space around it but for whatever reasons the contents could be vastly different (or the same i guess).

What if there were no land masses at all on the earth. Only water covers the planet. The universe is the water and there are a vast array of organisms the live in the water. What, if anything, exists below and above the water simply is not accessable by any of the organisms. Existence is not possible outside of the water therefor what lies beyond the boundaries of the water is completely incomprehensible. The universe would seem infinite because no matter which direction you traveled or how far you traveled youd never reach the end.

Our universe could be something like that. Even though it may seem as though there are boundaries to be crossed in this scenario, there is nothing tangible to cross over to.

Dangerousthinking How exactly can the universe be infinite[?]

So far as I know the amount of matter/energy in the universe is currently thought to be finite and there are even some rough ideas about what those numbers should be which leads to the dark matter/energy controversy.

Space/time is a bit more tricky since it isn't a "thing" and certainly I'm happy to be corrected on this but my current understanding is that space/time is unbounded rather than infinite. That is to say it is still unfolding but it correlates to the matter/energy of the universe. But that's about the point my brain starts to rebel because the explanation of why seems to involve an indeterminant number of multiple dimensions, so I'll just leave it at that.

I just did a thread on this but good to see it come up again as I think this question has much practical relevance in our emerging world view.

Your post makes no sense :D

And we do not KNOW that universe is infinite. It is entirely possible it is finite.

I know the universe is infinte the same way I know the next soap bubble blown from a child will be round.

Please explain how it is "entirely" possible the universe is finite as I find this attempted theory to be quite laughable.
A finite universe is a mythological fairy tale if I ever heard one.
And if it is finite, our understanding of the universe is so far off it isn't even funny.

Although yes I agree that the physical matter within the universe may be finite...sort of.:)

Last edited:
Back