Theists: Why do you believe in God?

What is your main reason why you believe in God?

• God is needed to explain good and fight evil in the world.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God's plan is visible in the world.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Without God, there would be no morality.

• I was raised to believe in God.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • God answers my prayers.

• The bible/Qu'ran/other text tells me God exists.

• Everybody needs to believe in something.

• My life would be meaningless without God.

• I experience God everywhere in my daily life.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • The universe is so perfect/complex, it must have been designed by God.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I am afraid of death/the unknown. God gives me comfort.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I don't believe in God. Just show me the results.

Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

James R

Just this guy, you know?
Staff member
The above poll is part of a three-part survey of posters to the Religion forum.

If you're an atheist or agnostic, please reply to the poll in the following thread:

Atheists/agnostics poll

Regardless of your beliefs, please reply to the poll in the following thread:

Poll: Why other people believe in God

If you're a theist and you answered "other" to the poll here, or you have any relevant comments on why you believe in God, please post them in this thread.

I will comment on the overall results once we get a significant number of votes.

Last edited:
While trying to decide which one applies to me, I was struck by the thought that none of them really describe my faith. All these options are just variations on the theme "why we need God" - to the effect that it would be impossible to believe if none of these criteria were met.

They all fall short of justifying faith (as everybody probably expects) and even shorter of justifying God - exactly because they try to justify God.

The four options I considered are:
  1. God's plan is visible in the world;
  2. God answers their (my) prayers;
  3. God gives meaning to their (my) life;
  4. They (I) experience God everywhere in their (my) daily life.
    [/list=1]
    But:
    1)God's plan is only visible inasmuch as His will is done by those who believe in Him. The greater plan is invisible and only understood through prophecy.
    2)The same idea: You have to believe in God to be able to pray. Prayer is like an offering - a sacrifice - you surrender your own will to God's will. Prayer is by nature already a confession of dependance on God.
    3)The meaning of my life is attributed to God. I did not find meaning and concluded that it must come from God. So it is not a reason for my belief, but like prayer, a product of it.
    4)My experience of God is a direct result of my living according to His will. When I deviate from His will, or forget that I am dependant on Him, I cease to experience His presence, because I have moved away from it.

I believe because "I believe" the Bible delivers reliable testimony (it does not provide proof) - and it is a testimony I can bear witness to in my own life. All I can say is that I believe by faith, and this faith correlates with the faith that Jesus and his disciples had. In Jesus was the culmination of the Jewish faith, and the Jewish faith is the result of the promise made by God that He will choose for Himself a nation of believers.

I believe in The God, not a god.

As for Kiergegaard, my relation with God is strictly an individual one.
I cannot tell other people why they should believe or not, I can only justify my own faith in the context of my own relation with God.

The only thing I do know is that most theists and atheists are victims of context:

Most atheists think that by discrediting the Bible, they are proving that God is impossible
Most theists attempt to undermine science in order to renew the necessity of God.

This type of debate clearly dodges the real question:
"Do I believe in God?"

Most people will live out their lives without ever fully addressing this simple yet essential question.
They will be too clouded up in their rearing, education, social standing, economic status, politics and living a pointless life of fighting the entire world without knowing why they are doing it...

If life is truly worth being lived, it is not to drive a mercedes or go to havard. It is to make peace with your maker and yourself(your existence).

Of course, a relation with God like mine isn't worth much to any church. But then again, the church does not speak for me to my God\maker. I can do that on my own.

Prisme

Blaise Pascal:

"God is the only thing which his existence is as absurd as his non-existence."

this is a well made poll because it covers a wide range of possible answers. if i could change it, i'd make it a multiple answer poll.

It is very difficult to cover all the possible reasons for individuals to have certain beliefs, simply because everyone is an individual! So I commend you on having so many possibilities, but like others have said, just choosing one option doesnt fully explain a persons faith.

For me, I had a few experiences that made me ask more questions and do deeper searching, then I started to see God moving and being involved in my life....then prayers got answered, I experienced God in everyday life and stuff like that.

Its very difficult to put it into words because there are not adequate words to describe it. It truly is something everyone needs to experience for themselves.

It is to make peace with your maker and yourself
my maker would be my mum and dad together, i don't believe in the other sort. i'm at peace with them. i'm happy with myself and my beliefs.

Most atheists think that by discrediting the Bible, they are proving that God is impossible
to me discrediting the bible is only discrediting the christian religion and is the only religion i know why i want to discredit because it is basically the only one i've been properly exposed too. one of my problems is that the christian bible makes a god out with infinite wisdom seem like an utter dumbass. doesn't sit with me. i think that reason should be part of this poll. god may not be impossible but to me he seems implausible.

I cannot tell other people why they should believe or not, I can only justify my own faith in the context of my own relation with God.
nice. thats the way it should be seeing we're all individuals anyway.

my maker would be my mum and dad together, i don't believe in the other sort. i'm at peace with them. i'm happy with myself and my beliefs.

Then go back to your very first mum and pops (yes the first two of all humans)... and ask yourself if you are at peace with them for bringing you into this world.
It's easy to say you are at peace now... but what happens if you lost your job because of a recession, your wife leaves you for your best friend, you lose custody of your kids because you have developped depression, the bank is foreclosing your house...

We all have moments that we are not at peace with the world. Maybe thats the point of the world.. who knows. When I was speaking of 'making peace' I was also talking about the day we die (not only every living day). We have to accept the hardest thing of all: leaving the only place we know and have learned to enjoy for something else... or maybe nothing?

As Heidegger said, the only sure thing in our life, is our death.
Death is the final measurement of your life. The ancient greeks thought that you could only talk of the reputation of a dead man, for nobody has a fixed reputation when he is alive.

Some people live their lives like they will live forever and it is only on their death beds that they finally, some with surpirse, realize that 'time is up'.

On related note, there is this thing called : "Total Pain syndrome"
We saw it in my university course intitled: Psychology of death and of the dying.

It is a syndrome found in some terminal patients (cancer, aids etc..). The primary symptom is feeling 'total pain'. Eventhought the cancer\illness should not produce pain in certain areas of the body, the patient complains of an immense volume of pain that is present in all of his body. The second symptom is that drugs have almost no effect. Eventhough a regular dose of morphine will attenuate any other terminal patient.. these patients still report pain. And even if doctors keep giving medication, the pain seldomly goes away. This has led to patients receiving lethal doses of morphine... and not feeling relieved or dying!

Once psychologists were brought into the picture to study the phenomenon, they found that a clear majority of the TP syndrome sufferers did not accept their illness and imminent death. They felt that their lives were meanningless, illegitimetly taken away and feared what would happen after their death.
On the other hand, terminal patients who were reported to have accepted their death did not suffer from TP syndrome.

This doesn't prove God or anything of the sort... I'm just saying that something seems to ask of us, in our psyche, to be at peace with our existence and then our later inexistence in the world.

In addition, but not related to TP syndrome, my university teacher talked to us about her terminaly ill father that passed away a couple of years before. He coudln't talk anymore because the muscle involvment to talk caused him to much pain.
The teacher was sleeping at the hospital in order to alert the family if he was to pass away. She woke up around 2 o'clock in the morning and saw her father with his two arms in the air (towards the sky\ceilling) and with a huge smile on his face.
He died that day a couple of hours later without ever waking from his sleep.

Her comment:
"I don't know what he saw, but for him to move like that and feel no pain was inexplicable. And if you would have seen that smile on his face, you would have known that he wasn't at all afraid."

Prisme

"Our death is the key to explaining our lives"
-greek thought.

Last edited:
first mum and pops (yes the first two of all humans)
i'm not sure i could speak in grunts and wistles:rolleyes:

nothing can prepare you for a sudden event that will have traumatic implications, but humans are well equiped to get over such incidences. i don't think that something seems to ask of us, in our psyche, to be at peace with our existence and then our later inexistence in the world as it feels better when you're content with how you live as you then lead a more fulfilling life.

Her comment: "I don't know what he saw, but for him to move like that and feel no pain was inexplicable. And if you would have seen that smile on his face, you would have known that he wasn't at all afraid."
a memory, a release with the knowledge that death will soon occur and the pain will be over- anything could explain his actions least of all a god.

i dunno, if there is a god why isn't his presence felt? i have never felt anything but the responses in my brain as emotions and thoughts. never once have i experienced the feeling many people talk of when god is in them or with them. i guess that's one reason why i don't believe.

So far, this thread has had 155 views, yet only 10 theists have responded to the poll.

Can it possibly be that we on;y have 10 believers in God in the religion forum? I must say, I am extremely surprised.

Originally posted by James R
So far, this thread has had 155 views, yet only 10 theists have responded to the poll.

Can it possibly be that we on;y have 10 believers in God in the religion forum? I must say, I am extremely surprised.

It took me forever to choose an option on your poll. They all don't apply to me and I'm a Theist. I ended up choosing everything around is a plan of god, and even that, is not why I believe.

To ask a Theist why they believe and get a straight answer is like calling the Cliff Notes a Shakespere Experience. I don't have the words to describe my beliefs, it's part acquired from my learned environment, part instinctal, and part in an unreachable spot in my subconscious....It's a comfortable sweet spot that only the person experiencing it may know how it feels, but it can't be described to others. You are asking too much, like asking Chopan or Mozart to explain to you the next music they are about to compose, and although it exist within them already, they can't put their finger on that inspiration that will launch it to a material form.

Flores:

How do you hope to convince anybody to believe in God if you can't even tell them why you believe in God yourself?

Now, you might respond that it is not up to you. God makes himself known to people, and people are not convinced by logical arguments. If that is the case, then it would be easy to tick the option saying you beleive because you experience god everywhere in your daily life.

You are asking too much, like asking Chopan or Mozart to explain to you the next music they are about to compose, and although it exist within them already, they can't put their finger on that inspiration that will launch it to a material form.
The musical analogy is interesting. Just yesterday while driving home into the sunset, I had the thought that God is like music in the sense that when I like a certain piece of music I can't prove to you I like it - you just have to believe me.

If they look at my life, and see my reaction to that piece of music, they might later become convinced that I am genuine, and I could become more "believable" - but even then they might not agree with me.

Just a thought I caught a glimpse of as it left through the back door...

If I had to choose one it would be "I experience God everywhere in my daily life." Except that I don't experience him everywhere in my daily life, I experienced him once, and that is enough to know. To experience him everywhere all the time is a very advanced stage of spirituality that would take years of spiritual practice. One question for atheists, what is the purpose of contemplative prayer/meditation? To simplify the answer it is to know god, the process takes seclusion from the world and all it's mind-numbing bullshit, disciplining oneself to avoid distraction, and hours and hours of meditation. If the process didn't lead to knowledge of god, or spiritual experiences wouldn't people have figured that out at some point? Faith is not belief. Faith is the necessary attitude one must have to go through what it takes to find "god." Or as one buddhist put it, to become enlightened three things are required; great doubt, great faith, and great effort.

James,
Maybe you need an option that says something like
"I just know it in my heart. It seems obvious to me."

Which I suspect is why many believers believe. It's why I believed.

After looking for explicit reasons for a while, I stopped believing (they weren't good reasons).

Originally posted by grover
One question for atheists, what is the purpose of contemplative prayer/meditation? To simplify the answer it is to know god, the process takes seclusion from the world and all it's mind-numbing bullshit, disciplining oneself to avoid distraction, and hours and hours of meditation. If the process didn't lead to knowledge of god, or spiritual experiences wouldn't people have figured that out at some point?
I meditate often (several times a day) and have never experienced God. I have experienced a feeling of transcendence or unity. I have experienced a sensation of floating out of my body. I have experienced vivid mental imagery. After years of practice I can do it with very little preparation and pretty much anywhere (in fact sometimes I find it most useful in situations where something is irritating me). While the connotations of the word spiritual fit within my experience, I have found nothing that suggests literal spirituality much less God.

~Raithere

P.S. As to Buddhism, meditation, and God:

"Nargarjuna the Indian Buddhist philosopher of the 2nd century CE expressed a commonly shared Buddhist view when he wrote:

The gods are all eternal scoundrels
Incapable of dissolving the suffering of impermanence.
Those who serve them and venerate them
May even in this world sink into a sea of sorrow.
We know the gods are false and have no concrete being;
Therefore the wise man believes them not
The fate of the world depends on causes and conditions
Therefore the wise man many not rely on gods."
http://www.buddhistinformation.com/buddhist_attitude_to_god.htm

~Raithere

meditate often (several times a day) and have never experienced God. I have experienced a feeling of transcendence or unity. I have experienced a sensation of floating out of my body. I have experienced vivid mental imagery. After years of practice I can do it with very little preparation and pretty much anywhere (in fact sometimes I find it most useful in situations where something is irritating me). While the connotations of the word spiritual fit within my experience, I have found nothing that suggests literal spirituality much less God.

Tomato.. tamata.

nothing can prepare you for a sudden event that will have traumatic implications, but humans are well equiped to get over such incidences. i don't think that something seems to ask of us, in our psyche, to be at peace with our existence and then our later inexistence in the world as it feels better when you're content with how you live as you then lead a more fulfilling life.

'Well equiped'... I thought with the rising number of people in America taking prozac was good enough to show that people are becoming less and less capable of facing every day life.
You may believe that our psyche is self-suffiscient, but from the need to be fed from our mother and raised by our father, to feel wanted and appreciated and espescially of belonging... I call that a need for a transcendantal meanning.

Prisme

P.S.
As for boudhists, their position can become quite conflictual at times. Many boudhist groups consider 'higher beings' while others don't, for those that do not: they speak of a spiritual enlightenment\elevation on Earth, yet this elevation of consciousness and virtue is bareley physical in itself.

Contrarely to christians that seperate Heaven(l'au-delà) and Earth, boudhists simply blend the two together: at the same time as one man can be barbaric and blatently unconsciouss, the other can be enlightened to the point of attaining the Nirvana. (<--metaphysical state)

So again, we have a clear case of:

Tomato.. Tamata...
Either.. Ether..

Which one do you prefer? Doesn't matter, it all ends up the same in the end: a higher meanning to be obtained, that which gives sense to our lives and existence... and those that do not abide to this meanning are simply lost.

P.P.S

I thought that this thread wasn't about 'convincing others' James.

Last edited:
One question for atheists, what is the purpose of contemplative prayer/meditation? To simplify the answer it is to know god, the process takes seclusion from the world and all it's mind-numbing bullshit, disciplining oneself to avoid distraction, and hours and hours of meditation. If the process didn't lead to knowledge of god, or spiritual experiences wouldn't people have figured that out at some point?
i am not so sure about your claim especially when the most versed buddhists/meditators don't tend to experience what you describe. meditation may be a form of thought distillation or what have you but in recent studies by neuroscientists on buddhists it was found that buddhists are in fact the happiest people on this earth with the semi-explanation that their meditative practices induces the left prefrontal lobe (the source of positive emotion and happy thought) to be active a lot of the time- compared with non buddhists who almost uniformly have about the same amount of activity in their left prrfrontal lobes at a much reduced rate to that of practicing buddhists. what does this say to me? if you want to be happy be a buddhist, but not that meditation is to know god as in our capacity of mind that would never be possible, nor is that the main reason meditation is practiced. prayer doesn't cut it as there was no increased activity the left prefrontal lobe in people who prayed all the time (i.e. nuns or priests)- it is a practice which doesn't affect the brain, positively or negatively prayer doesn't equate with meditation.

Back