The world's media.

Agent@5

Registered Senior Member
Do you think public criticism of the media is justified? If you were to regulate the media what would you change to make it morew deomcratic?

(I need this for a media assignment... please)

1) Define. As in, are we allowed to criticize the media? Yes. Technically, you still live in a nation that supports free speech. If you mean if it's justifiable then that depends on the comment. If I said "All New York media is racist because it's run by Jews!" I would generally have a comment with little to know justification. However, if I said "The coverage on the war on Afghanistan was, in my opinion, too extensive." and proceeded to give examples where it was unnecessarily extensive you would have a justifiable comment.

2) Democratic? In what way? The minute you put restrictions or guidlines on free speech it ceases to be free speech. The idea of 'restricted' speech destroys free speech the same way, I feel, a Department of Ethics in the government destroys democracy.

The only problem with the media is that it is too clearly a reflection of our society. Why is the media so biased and sensationalist offering little substance or value? Because; that's what gets the ratings. The media is the most perfect form of democracy that exists. If people were interested in information rather than valueless entertainment PBS wouldn't have to beg for money and Monday Night Football would have to hold the telethon. The media serves the lowest common denominator thus we have crap such as "Pro Wrestling".

~Raithere

Originally posted by Raithere
The only problem with the media is that it is too clearly a reflection of our society. Why is the media so biased and sensationalist offering little substance or value? Because; that's what gets the ratings. The media is the most perfect form of democracy that exists. If people were interested in information rather than valueless entertainment PBS wouldn't have to beg for money and Monday Night Football would have to hold the telethon. The media serves the lowest common denominator thus we have crap such as "Pro Wrestling".

~Raithere

very true

how about "when animals attack"

:D

Back