The Wisdom Of Albert Ellis

Non-Logical-Idea-Guy

Fat people can't smile.
Registered Senior Member
“For that again, is what all manner of religion essentially is: childish dependency” - Albert Ellis - American Psychologist and Writer.

Great man, any comments? :p

Bill Gates
"Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Steven Weinberg
"What a queer thing is Christian salvation! Believing in firemen will not save a burning house; believing in doctors will not make one well, but believing in a savior saves men. Fudge!"

Lemuel Washburn
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

Author Unknown
"The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."

George Bernard Shaw
"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes."

James Feibleman
"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Friedrich Nietzsche
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."

Ambrose Bierce
"I viewed my fellow man not as a fallen angel, but as a risen ape."

Desmond Morris
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."

Blaise Pascal
"The Bible is not my book, and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."

Abraham Lincoln
"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

Thomas Jefferson
"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church."

Thomas Paine
"We must repsect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children are smart."

Henry Mencken
"Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

Henry Mencken
"What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way

http://www.quotedb.com/categories/anti-religion

Later in life he significantly toned down and re-evaluated his opposition to religion. He acknowledged and agreed with survey evidence suggesting that belief in a loving God is also psychologically healthy.

-- Wikipedia

Isn't Ellis that psychologist guy?

Heard in psychology today that he was one of the best psychoanalists or whatnot...
weird///

I think there are better. Oh well. Poor guy, afraid of going to hell?

Later in life he significantly toned down and re-evaluated his opposition to religion. He acknowledged and agreed with survey evidence suggesting that belief in a loving God is also psychologically healthy.

-- Wikipedia
you! naughty person you!

post the quote correctly please, thats just dishonest.

here is the true and full quote from ( third paragraph, title heading"albert Ellis and Religion")the omited part by Revolvr is bolded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ellis

"including some who are ordained ministers. In his later days he significantly toned down and re-evaluated his opposition to religion. While Ellis maintained his atheistic stance, proposing that thoughtful, probabilistic atheism is likely the most emotionally healthy approach to life, he acknowledged and agreed with survey evidence suggesting that belief in a loving God is also psychologically healthy"

play fair please.

This is called quote mining and is something that you see a lot with deceptive members of religious cults and interest groups that promote garbage like creationism. They look for an authority their opposition would normally trust as an authority and take a quote out of context. In Texas, we call that kind of deception a lie. I wonder what they call it in Revolvr's neck of the woods?

Regardless, Revolvr would have been better off quoting the original source, which was Ellis' paper in Professional Psychology, Research and Practice, where he said almost that. Still, if he quoted Ellis accurately, it wouldn't have the same effect since Ellis acknowledges that there are health benefits for some who truly believe as opposed to those that take a negative view of their God and religion. Atheists don't have a god or religion and, therefore, aren't included in the equation. Revolvr's intent was clearly to imply that it is better to be a believer than a non-believer, which isn't what the studies evaluated.

Back