The "Two Commandments"?

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
I came across the following, by Charles King of The Debs Foundation. I apologize for the reproduction of the entire article, but the Fall, 2003 Newsletter is only available in PDF format:

• • • • • • • • • •​

"Christ said something momentous about the Ten Commandments (Law of Moses). He didn't mince words. He said: "I give you a new commandment" (there were actually two). One: Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and soul, and number 2, Love thy neighbor as thyself. Christ went on to say that by keeping these two fully, you would be complying with all the Law of Moses, and any other laws or interpretations of such by Prophets and Scribes since Moses. That is what I call clear and concise. It clarifies the "vertical" (right with God), and the "horizontal" (right with other persons). A lot of Fundamentalist Christians today, like those rallying around the Ten Commandments at the Alabama Supreme Court Bldg, are stuck in the Old Testament (Covenant). Using their kind of language, they are living under Law, not under Grace (The Cross).

I think I know why these Christian Rightists are so hung up on the do's and don'ts of the Ten Commandments. They have a serious problem with that second commandment from Christ. That "neighbor as thyself" bit is a slippery slope with all sorts of implications for tolerance, social justice, share the wealth, in short, give more concern for relationships than with material wealth or with outward signs of compliance with moral standards.

How different our world would be if all Christians took seriously Christ's two Commandments!"

• • • • • • • • • •​

Quite obviously, some might take issue with the simplicity of the depiction of Chrisitanity, but I relate this article because it is important that I have experienced this discussion in some form among Lutherans and Catholics in my direct education, and in discussions with Christians at large during such times as the ideas would arise. My own picture of what Christianity is "supposed to be," while it derives mostly from two chapters of Matthew, largely hearkens back to the two-commandment discussion.

But I'm curious if this discussion is even valid anymore; it seems, certainly, near the heart of the Gay Fray, but my time at Sciforums has taught me, among other things, that the diversity of Christianity is such that I cannot presume any notion, no matter how consistent across the sectarian spectrum, is valid within the faith.

• The Debs Foundation: http://www.eugenevdebs.com/
• The Debs Foundation Newsletter: http://www.eugenevdebs.com/pages/newsltr.htm
• King, Charles D. "Christ and the Ten Commandments." The Debs Foundation Newsletter, Fall, 2003; page 6. See http://www.eugenevdebs.com/media/DEBS fall 03 NL.pdf Note! This is a .PDF download.

See Also

• Catechism of the Catholic Church #2196: http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p3s2c2.htm
• St. Luke's Evangelical School of Biblical Studies: http://www.ficotw.org/greatestcommandmentlesson.html

Last edited:
The remarkable thing is that we really love our neighbors as ourselves:we do unto others as we do unto ourselves. We hate others when we hate ourselves. We are tolerant toward others when we tolerate ourselves. We forgive others when we forgive ourselves. We are prone to sacrifice others when we are ready to sacrifice ourselves.
It is not love of self but hatred of self which is at the root of the troubles that afflict our world.

from Eric Hoffer, The passionate State of Mind

I tend to agree, Greco. I'm actually impressed to see someone voicing this perspective here.

I might propose a little experiment, largely for your amusement: Remember that idea. Hang onto it and view other peoples' actions through that lens. You might like what you see; it might repulse you. But try telling people what you see, and discussing ideas through that filter. Whether you're listening to the latest political rant on TV, watching a bad sitcom, dealing with friends and family in day-to-day affairs, discussing issues with co-workers, reading newspapers and magazines, ad nauseam, you'll start seeing things anew, from a really bizarre perspective.

Even stranger is what happens if you come to decide to treat that self-hatred compassionately. In many people, it is so strong that it colors all else, and your compassion remains merely your compassion, and bears no practical effect.

Sometimes I think it's true that the suffering don't actually wish to be healed.

How true Tiassa. My first wife suffered from mental illness which eventually led to our divorce. What impressed me more than anything was the fact that she dint want to get well. She was a perfectionist that couldnt stand herself once she became sick. Her refusal to get help re-enforces your last statement that the suffering dont want to be healed.

She refuses medication. If she took medication and got well, the thought that she would have to face her previous friends and admit mental illness keeps her in a delussional existence.

In a certain sense, Jesus was telling people that the prognosis of the Ten Commandments showed that they were in fact more afflicted than they thought (or were prepared to admit). He pronounce the diagnosis and advised they seek immediate help, because the mortality rate is 100%. In the same breath He was telling them where that help comes from.

Tiassa, the discussion is and will be at the heart of Christianity (in fact, a global issue) as long as the diagnosis is valid - that sin is extant in the world and all fall short of the commandments... i.e., until Christ comes to carry out the surgery.

Last edited:
Back