the stupidity of mankind?

xvenomousx

Registered Senior Member
(reposting to start a thread)

Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the bible is gods word?

Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt if there is any credibility, at all in the bible, christianity and its followers claims?

We are told by the bible that the bible is gods word. Meaningless. Its only the bible that tells us what'll happen to us if we don't believe the bible. So through some fault in the wiring in most human brains we believe this stuff.
The rather poor reasoning we tell ourselves is I-better-believe-it-just-in-case-its-true.

Chain letters are proof of human stupidity. We've all had emails arrive in our inboxes along the lines of "If you don't forward this message to 20 people you will have bad luck for the next 7 years". Its suprising the number of people --a number suficient enough to perpetuate these things for years-- that send them on. Again with the reasoning of "just in case".

The reason why we have so much pain and suffering in this world is because of this particular fault in the human brain.

If there is an afterlife, well we'll have to wait and see what it is when we die, or when we become suficiently sophisitcated enough as a species to percieve it.

If there isn't an afterlife, then we will go on till we have advanced enough as a civilisation that we can transcend material form and limitation. Mastering the laws of the universe we could reach back across time and extract the paterns of consciousness (souls) and preserve them in immortality.

So if god doesn't exist he will be coming into existence, and appear as if he was always there. So how can we say now, that we know the origin of everything?

We will make god in our image.

Debate it people, and how can we know whos idea is right?

Wrong place, I guess.
Just as the thread to which your message was originally a reply, this thread should be moved to the religion forum.
Still, an intersting question. Visit Religion and you'll see similar ideas are also posted there.

bye
Merlijn

Do you know anything beyond a shadow of a doubt?
Can you say for certain that any religious text is correct?

Do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt if there is any credibility, at all in the bible, Christianity and its followers claims?

Not just Christianity, but Judaism Islam and a whole host of other religions, I don't like to pour sour milk on other people's cornflakes so I don't argue with religious types, everyone is entitled to their own belief.

Religion has had a profound affect on humans, I think all religions' were first created to help give muscle to political causes.
Religion is like the counter balance that stops us from being overly evil, the just - in - case as you put it, the general idea was if you belive you will be judged on your life when you die then you wont commit evil acts like murder rape and pillage in fear of going to hell, also religion is a great motivator, if you tell solders' that they have "GOD" on their side they will belive it, if they belive that by giving their lives for a political cause it will somehow get them a free pass into heaven then they will do it happily.

There is help.

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and
then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another,
and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it
wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and
finally I was thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment
don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and
Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking,
"What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had
turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She
spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called
me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this,
but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop
thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave
me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I
confessed, "I've been thinking..."

"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But Honey, surely it's not that serious." "It is serious," she
said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors,
and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on
thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to
cry.

I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped
out the door.

I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with a
PBS station on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up
to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed.

To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me
that night.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering
for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking
ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It
comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never
miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video;
last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we
avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just
seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

This a prose that is somewhat related to this subject:
Heaven, serenity and hints of joy- bursts out of th clam mind to find it is in a place of hell. They have died to be born again in the human fires of earth. Modiest as they may be, the apprehension and the discret mention of the perfection that is said to be held within you seems nothing more then an unanswered plea of self-starvation.
An empty of you with no self to be poured or stranged.
An empty of you because of your love begets and mocks as the
mirrors reflect truly you, stripped away from your divine effects
to bring peace, love, harmony, and unity to those you have
bestolded the gift of hate.
The ears below hear the chant's of your amenity. Laws of yours must be willingly and unwillingly learn, followed and taught with cause, without explanation. The true that are taught and have learned to do as you, are promised in death a belly full of love, friendship and serenity.
To live in a world of beaten grief and spite is to die for a heaven tha exists in the hope's nucleus of a mind that is dead. The apocalyptic confessions of wantoness and the freshly eaten fruits has just passed the throats of the barren souls and the platonic kisses of brothers have ceased to exist. Except for the disfigurement of the syndrome of thought, intelligences of the siners has reached its metaphorically lethal grandness.

honestly i wrote this in high school. after reading this i could probably be labeled a cynic. it is a reflection of my distaste of "organized" religion. More so, of my distrust for those who conform to "organized" religion. Having not read this in 2 years, i find that some of my thoughts and reasoning have changed. i question for the better.
i post this with the hope that whomever reads the prose will not condem me for the life that has led me to these concepts.

the bible is not gods words, it the scholars interpretations of what they saw, felt and heard from "god".

Originally posted by physicsforums.com
the bible is not gods words, it the scholars interpretations of what they saw, felt and heard from "god".
Exactly,i agree...

bye!

Back