The Star of David

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
What does the Star of David stand for in Judaism?

Besides being the "emblem" of the Jews, it has been used politically as graffiti in Germany on Jewish stores, in the West Bank on Palestinian homes...

historyandhebron1264671.png

...and in the Gaza war, where the IDF carved a 200 foot wide star of David on agricultural land with tanks

22777597.png

Its also the symbol of the red cross affililiate in Israel

526ambu12.jpg

So, what does it mean?

Sources:

Michael Ratner, History and Hebron, mondoweiss.net link
Satellite image analysis in support to the United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict link pdf

Last edited:
I just realised its so common, but I have no idea what it means

Hexagram in Leningrad Codex, first to be seen in Jewish culture.
Leningrad_Codex_Carpet_page_e.jpg

Hexagram has a strong talmudic reference.

also it might have been just used by Maria Hebraea, a Jewish alchemist ... and that spread on as Jewish identity.

It is the "Star of David"...Maybe King David had a wicked cool tat of the star on his arm...or something. :)

M*W: Anyone here feel free to correct me, but I thought it stood for the Seal of Solomon, which from my perspective, represents sun worship. It appears that the star is in the center of the sun (or moon). I say it's the sun, because it's bright rather than dark. Somewhere I have read that the Seal of Solomon represents prayer. In other places, I have read where it signifies man and woman and humanity. I would be interested in hearing what Cheski Chips has to say about it.

M*W: Anyone here feel free to correct me, but I thought it stood for the Seal of Solomon, which from my perspective, represents sun worship. It appears that the star is in the center of the sun (or moon). I say it's the sun, because it's bright rather than dark. Somewhere I have read that the Seal of Solomon represents prayer. In other places, I have read where it signifies man and woman and humanity. I would be interested in hearing what Cheski Chips has to say about it.

yes it is seal of Solomon, but it existed even before that.

This seems to be the best expalination i have seen.

The first mention of the six-pointed star in Israelite literature was in Amos 5:6, when YAWEH angrily tells His people that " I hate and despise your feast days…. You shall take up Siccuth, your king and Chiun your images, the star of your God…." Siccuth (Sakkuth) and Chiun (Kaiwan) means "star" and refers to Saturn as a star, and was objects of idolatrous worship, as they were considered to be Assyrian gods. The mixed multitude that went out of Egypt with the children of Israel took the star with them. Like the obelisk, the six-pointed star was an Egyptian idol used in idolatrous worship. In 922 B.C. when Solomon married the daughter of Pharoah, he became involved in Egyptian idol worship and went into magic, and witchcraft. Solomon built an altar to Ashtoreth and Moloch, and the six-pointed star, the chief symbol of human sacrifices in magic and witchcraft circles, came to be called the Seal of Solomon.

Solomon did not heed the subsequent warnings from God to cease from these abominable practices, even after God threatened to rend the Kingdom of Israel from his son's hand. And indeed, the split occurred after Solomon's death. Solomon's idolatry caused the Kingdom of Israel to be split in two. The practices he introduced to the children of Israel eventually caused the House of Israel to go into exile into the Caucasus, and the House of Judah to go into captivity. It was Josiah who later destroyed this forbidden altar. Did you know that the number 666 was connected to Solomon? (1 Kings 10:14) Yes, 666 talents of gold was sent to Solomon each month by none other than the King of Tyrus. After you have read this account in the book of 1 Kings, turn to Ezekiel Chapter 28. Oh, what a tangled web was weaved, when Solomon practised to deceive. King Solomon left many articles which proved his blatant idolatry, such as King Solomon's Mirror, King Solomon's Comb, and the six-pointed star, which became known as the Seal of Solomon in the witchcraft and occult world. Solomon also laid down the foundations of the Craft (Daniel 8:25) which later became known as Freemasonry., and the six-pointed star features prominently in Masonic rituals.

The Menorah the 7 branched candled stick is the true Symbol of Judaisim. The 6 pointed star is a hex placed upon the Jewish people it is a curse.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Last edited:
You people have no idea what you're talking about. There's no mystical or strange explanation; the reasons are given in the narrative of King David. Using two crossed triangles made from a rigid material, he then stretched canvas or leather over it to make a simple, cheap shield to go into combat with.
But, given the dubiousness of King David as a real person, the more likely explanation is that the same model was used by the Hebrew army as an expedient and inexpensive way to produce and procure adequate shields in large numbers. Very necessary for a tribe with few resources. It remained as a symbol of the Jewish people's courage, tenacity, and resourcefulness in survival.

Who did the Hebrew army fight for their survival?

Do you have a citation?

You people have no idea what you're talking about. There's no mystical or strange explanation; the reasons are given in the narrative of King David. Using two crossed triangles made from a rigid material, he then stretched canvas or leather over it to make a simple, cheap shield to go into combat with.
But, given the dubiousness of King David as a real person, the more likely explanation is that the same model was used by the Hebrew army as an expedient and inexpensive way to produce and procure adequate shields in large numbers. Very necessary for a tribe with few resources. It remained as a symbol of the Jewish people's courage, tenacity, and resourcefulness in survival.

there is no reliable historical evidence to prove that though.

Back