The source of SARS!

SpyMoose

Secret double agent deer
Registered Senior Member
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/05/23/sars.fromspace/index.html

This is a CNN article on a british scientists who believes that SARS came to Earth from outer space! I think it must be true because he sights that historicly there have been other sicknesses that have come from unknown origins! Its got to be hard for microbes to sneak up on a whole population of people right?

Some of the more closed minded scientists sugesst that he is wrong, and that SARS couldnt even survive in space, but thats just what they would do if they were trying to cover up an alien plauge now isnt it!

Haha, the idea that any life form would be able to survive on a rock out in space for God only knows how long, and then live through entering the atmosphere (mind you that's going from near absolute zero temp to a heat where plasma actually starts forming) and then live through an impact into the surface, not to mention somehow be well adapted to the environment it lands in, is completely absurd!

Actually Mystech, it's not that absurd.

Ever heard of "Baked Alaska", where icecream is coated in a sugared eggwhite and then backed in an oven?

The understanding is that the eggwhite becomes flame retardant because of the heat fusing the coat into a hardened surface.

The same could quite easily occur to the extremities of a meteor during it's interaction with the friction of the atmosphere, not to forget that any object moving at speed creates a slipstream of pressure from postive at the direction it's moving to negative at the position it came from (which means only one side actuall fires up.)

Then there is the cold core of ice and dust, admittedly heat exchanges of this speed would cause the fragmentation of a rock (this is why most meteors brake when entering the atmosphere into small fragments).

Although the break point doesn't necessarily mean that any chunks speed up, some could actually slow because of the new resistance vectors of it's friction with the atmosphere.

As for Life forms existing within Meteors/Meteorites. non-complex organisms (Like worms, Bacteria) can survive being frozen and even have been thawed out to live again. I say "non-complex" but they are indeed complex, but there complexity is less in dimension as that of say a man, who's whole composition would be too complex just to freeze and then be thawed. Since freezing something of a larger volume means the freezing process occurs at different times throughout the volume creating potential damage from crystalisation.

It is suggested that potential building blocks (materials) were brought to this planet from a meteorite and interacted with other materials already here that triggered life and sustained it until now.

However I would disagree that SARS was caused by a meteorite. DNA is like an intelligence program, that constantly tries to "evolve" into something more efficent. It doesn't necessarily do it at great speed (In fact you could cross reference the life expectancy of a cell with that of some life expectancy of smaller mammals and find some relationship over how long it takes for a noticable evolution to occur)

However you have to imagine the number of animals from the same gene pool on this planet, all with their different life expectancies and different cell speeds, and you end up with the larges potential for mutations to occur. (If it was placed into a programming term, this would be a seriously large number of cycles)

When the mutation occurs it can travel like wildfire, spreading through families with the same genetic makeup who might individually have small differences. Then those small differences will be the similarity with someone else from a different genepool, to which the Virus then creates a new evolutionary stem.

Before you know it you have something thats not as containable as it once was, and the longer it's left the more uncontainable it becomes.

Hope that explains it all a bit better.

Possible cause of SARS

Scientists at CDC and other laboratories have detected a previously unrecognized coronavirus in patients with SARS. The new coronavirus is the leading hypothesis for the cause of SARS.

Originally posted by Stryderunknown
Hope that explains it all a bit better.

Well no it doesn't, and I don't mean to insult you by saying this, but you don't have a very good grasp on the elements involved in this sort of thing.

I'll admit that what you said does give a little hope that an organism could survive the temperature change of going from an asteroid in deep space, to surviving re-entry, but still the temperatures that you talked about in your example are nothing compared to the range experienced when one goes from outerspace to streaking in flames across the sky as you hurtle toward earth. Add to that the inevitability of impact and the chances of anything surviving look pretty grim. Not to mention the fact that an organism which was adapted to be able to live in a void (or at least on the inside of a particular asteroid) just probably wouldn't have the skills that it takes to live on the surface of our planet, with our atmosphere. One more obstacle would be the sheer length of time that it would take for an asteroid to go from one life bearing planet over to our own would be astronomical, I think the problems that go along with that are inherent, could an organism live that long? Could a species live on or in an asteroid for that long even if it had a breeding population?

Anyway, your comments about DNA being intelligent and striving to make a more efficient organism are complete bunk, pick up a high-school biology text book and read a bit about evolution, it doesn't work that way at all, there is no intelligent design in creatures.

if you want to see a really nice book about diseases from space, read the book gravity, and if you dont like reading its also on a book on tape, Its very nice

Mystech,

Your one of these persons that really gets a kick out of a rise, Well I'm going to gee you on if your into that stuff, but thats as kinky as I get.

You seem to think it impossible for anything to survive, well lets look at it like this:

Lets say the meteor is a chunk of a destroyed planet, a preportion thats at least a few kilometres across, it's a huge size and wouldn't just burn up. In fact the temperature would break some up but other areas would be left untouched.

Organisms that are Frozen solid by below freezing temperatures don't "Live", they are in stasis, this means Hypothetically they can stay frozen indefinitely.

In fact some organisms viruses (Like Anthrax) have spores that will stay dormant for decades in normal earth without freezing, and are really difficult to destroy. (Tetnus would be another)

As for your complaint about DNA I never said it WAS intelligent, I said it's like an Intelligence program in the sense that it evolves to what ever given situation arises. This is true, without evolution you would not have eyes to see, fingers to type and erm... a brain to think.

So on the side, quit slagging people.

Back