The Seven Philosophies

Which Philosophy do you align yourself with the most?

• Anthropocentrism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biocentrism

• Ecocentrism

• Ecofeminism

• Deep Ecology

• Pluralism

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saturnine Pariah

Hell is other people
Valued Senior Member
"The magnitude and urgency of contemporary environmental problems—collectively known as the environmental crisis—form the mandate for environmental ethics: a reexamination of the human attitudes and values that influence individual behavior and government policy toward nature. The principal approaches to environmental ethics are "anthropocentrism," or the human-centered approach; "biocentrism," or the life-centered approach; and "ecocentrism," or the ecosystem-centered approach. Variously related to these main currents of environmental ethics are "ecofeminism" and "deep ecology." Moral "pluralism" in environmental ethics urges that we endorse all of these approaches and employ any one of them as circumstances necessitate."-J. Baird Callicott. Encyclopedia of Bioethics, Vol. 2, 2004.
Where do you lie on the table of environmental Ethics and Justice?
http://find.galegroup.com/gic/infom...urce=gale&userGroupName=itsbtrial&version=1.0
In the link is a article that describes the seven standard philosophies indicative to environmental/social sciences.

I believe in Pastafarianism

The One True Monster

The Flying Spaghetti MONSTER is only called such because of his distinctly non-human form; we were not created in his image, not by a long shot.

“Let us sing praise to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for He is a loving God. Of His might and dominion, there is no compare; of His mercy and deliciousness, there is no equal. No other god can challenge Him; in the taste test, He is invincible. Through His pasta, He has blessed us with everlasting life, and holy is His Name. For He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster: the One, True, and Most High God, creator of man and midgit, giver of pasta, giver of sauce, from age to holy age; not created He was, but ever He lives, through the glory of spaghetti, now and forever. R'Amen.”
~ Ishmali Camuwundra on the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The prayer we all say....

Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in the colander, Swallowed be thy sauce. Thy serving come, Thy strands be wrung, On forks as they are on spoons. Give us this day our garlic bread, And forgive us our starchiness, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss, And lead us not into Kraft parmessan, But deliver us from Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. R'Amen.

I believe in Pastafarianism

The One True Monster

The Flying Spaghetti MONSTER is only called such because of his distinctly non-human form; we were not created in his image, not by a long shot.

“Let us sing praise to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for He is a loving God. Of His might and dominion, there is no compare; of His mercy and deliciousness, there is no equal. No other god can challenge Him; in the taste test, He is invincible. Through His pasta, He has blessed us with everlasting life, and holy is His Name. For He is the Flying Spaghetti Monster: the One, True, and Most High God, creator of man and midgit, giver of pasta, giver of sauce, from age to holy age; not created He was, but ever He lives, through the glory of spaghetti, now and forever. R'Amen.”
~ Ishmali Camuwundra on the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The prayer we all say....

Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in the colander, Swallowed be thy sauce. Thy serving come, Thy strands be wrung, On forks as they are on spoons. Give us this day our garlic bread, And forgive us our starchiness, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss, And lead us not into Kraft parmessan, But deliver us from Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. R'Amen.

The question regarded philosophical standpoints, not religious.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. This might be true of Buddhism, which was originally a kind of philosophy, or system. This is certainly not clearly true of religions in general, though.

Religion is a set of principles, morals, ethics, and rules set up to lead one's life. Philosophy is a discipline which deals with life, metaphysics, knowledge, and the ultimate truth. Both religion and philosophy have their own similarities and differences.
One of the major similarities between religion and philosophy is that they both deal with human life, human mind, its existence in the universe, the meaning of life, the ultimate truth, and so on. Both tend to make existence in this universe a lot less complicated by addressing issues such as knowledge, truth, life, and existentialism. Thus, one can always argue that both religion and philosophy are one and the same and we just call them by different names. But it is not entirely true.

Please read...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xYGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHRqtbiJw0tyxheouwvmeTgtCmvyw

OR

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xYGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNGhUcHefWBPiFC3zU3BcoB6Factag

Religion is a set of principles, morals, ethics, and rules set up to lead one's life. Philosophy is a discipline which deals with life, metaphysics, knowledge, and the ultimate truth. Both religion and philosophy have their own similarities and differences.
One of the major similarities between religion and philosophy is that they both deal with human life, human mind, its existence in the universe, the meaning of life, the ultimate truth, and so on. Both tend to make existence in this universe a lot less complicated by addressing issues such as knowledge, truth, life, and existentialism. Thus, one can always argue that both religion and philosophy are one and the same and we just call them by different names. But it is not entirely true.

Please read...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xYGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHRqtbiJw0tyxheouwvmeTgtCmvyw

OR

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xYGwBQ&usg=AFQjCNGhUcHefWBPiFC3zU3BcoB6Factag

First, regarding your links, yes there are philosophies of religion, or religious philosophy. But "religious" in this context is a qualifier. That is, the kind of philosophy being engaged regards religious belief. Scholasticism was heavily religious in its subject matter, but it was still philosophical in nature.

Religious philosophies deal with human life, human mind, its existence, etc. within the context of philosophical method. That it, as philosophies, they attempt to follow rigorous logical rules to arrive at their conclusions. Religions, as such, don't necessarily deal with philosophies, though most usually do employ philosophical method to provide a "reason" support to their belief systems. Many religious people don't understand a lick of the philosophical supports for their beliefs, yet believe them anyway.

Religion is more about ritual and cultural living. Arguing from a Christian standpoint, though this certainly doesn't apply to all religions, religion is about the relationship between God(s) and man. Rituals are performed to enhance that relationship. Cultures grow up around this relationship perpsective. Philosophies enhance the understanding of that relationship, but aren't essential to it.

As my post # 7 says,

Thus, one can always argue that both religion and philosophy are one and the same and we just call them by different names.

I understand what you believe and respect your way of thinking but I too have my own viewpoint which I guess that you just do not understand. You want others to believe that there's only those religious ways to discuss while I think there is another.

this is a great way to look at things, yet the approach of government and people, is ££££££

if moral consideration of the environment were taken seriously i for one would approve, yet we all know the dollar comes first,ethical considerations a distant second.
er sad but true. ps i like your logo

Back