The religious communities opinion of human genetic engineering.

What’s your opinion of Human genetic engineering.

• Should not be restricted

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Should have very few restictions

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Should have some restictions

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Should have harsh restrictions

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Should not be done at all!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • IT IS EVIL! Must be stoped at any cost!

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

ElectricFetus

Sanity going, going, gone
Valued Senior Member
A very similar poll to this one is running on the Biology sub-forum, but everyone seems to think neoeugenics is a very good idea and should have no restrictions (even me!, I don’t think it should be restrict I just think others will restrict it, best to find a less offensive alternative...), this I thought was rather bias so I am running a improve version of the poll here to see what religious community thinks of it.

This argument only includes designer babies, if you mention anything else people will not listen :(

Last edited:
Designer Babies

Hi Wellcookedfetus,

If the technology allows it, i am all for it. If i could have designer i would have them. The natural way of getting childrem is ok with me, but you are actually just taking part in a lottery. You have a chance that your kids will turn out alright but there is also the chance that they won't.

Let the whole thing progress unrestricted.....

Take care how you interpret these results. This is not a religious community but a community that debates religious issues.

From past polls there is an almost exactly 50% split between those with religious and non-religious beliefs here, although it tends to be the non-religious who are the most vocal. But in an anonymous poll such as this I suspect an equal number from both sides will vote.

Does this extend to gene "transplanting"? Eg, I read a few years ago about altering the genes that deal with red blood cells to make our red blood cells far more like those of a crocodile, which can take a breath and then remain underwater for almost an hour etc. That kind of thing should be really looked into. Also, som species of monkey seem to be completely immune to AIDS etc, if we can figure out what about them does that, we should transplant that too. The controls should be very rigorous, but not totally restrictive.

I dont think that we should be 'designing' babies at all because you're basically saying that the child is not good enough the way it was (in the event of people just choosing to make their child have certain characteristics, ie blond hair blue eyes).

I can understand why people may want to be able to make their children able to breathe like a croc as was previously mentioned, but thats not natural and I dont think we should be changing it as humans seem to be just fine the way they are now!

never have i heard a debate about human engineering by lay people when it is not mentioned that everyone will make their child blonde with blue eyes. why would everyone want that? i would think most people just want a healthy baby and would take part in the engineering to ensure that. otherwise, i should think they would want their child to look like them which does not necessarily include blonde hair or blue eyes. you can't give a child genes that either parent does not have. besides that, how many people really find that desirable in the first place?

Back