The Reason Why Yawning is Contagious!!!!

Contagious yawning is seen in only a few other primates and studies have suggested the behavior has played an evolutionary role in helping groups avoid danger by keeping animals awake and alert.

This is why?? It makes no sense to me. I don't get more alert when someone yawns and I start yawning. I still think it synchronizes the beddy bye times of the clan in the cave.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawn#Hypothesized_causes_of_yawning :
A previous long-standing hypothesis is that yawning is caused by an excess of carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen in the blood. The brain stem detects this and triggers the yawn reflex. The mouth stretches wide and the lungs inhale deeply, bringing oxygen into the lungs and hence to the bloodstream. There is evidence that this hypothesis is incorrect. One study has documented that this effect does not exist.[4]

A recent hypothesis by Gordon Gallup of the University of Albany states that yawning may be a means to keep the brain cool. Mammalian brains operate best when they are cool. In an experiment, he showed several groups of people videos of other people yawning. When the subjects held heat packs up to their heads while viewing the videos, they yawned often. But when they held cold packs up to their heads or breathed through their noses (another means of brain cooling), they did not yawn at all. [3] [5]

Another recent hypothesis is that yawning is used for regulation of body temperature. Another hypothesis is that yawns are caused by the same chemicals (neurotransmitters) in the brain that affect emotions, mood, appetite and other phenomena. These chemicals include serotonin, dopamine, glutamic acid and nitric oxide. As more of these compounds are activated in the brain, the frequency of yawning increases. Conversely, a greater presence in the brain of opiate neurotransmitters such as endorphins reduces the frequency of yawning. Patients taking the serotonin reuptake inhibitor Paxil (Paroxetine HCl) or Citalopram, another SSRI, have been observed yawning abnormally often.

Another theory is that yawning is similar to stretching. Stretching, like yawning, increases blood pressure and heart rate while also flexing many muscles and joints. It is also theorized that yawning helps redistribute surfactant, an oil-like substance which coats the lungs and aids breathing. Some have observed that if one tries to stifle or prevent a yawn by clenching one's jaws shut, the yawn is unsatisfying. As such, the stretching of jaw and face muscles seems to be necessary for a satisfactory yawn.

Yet another theory is that yawning occurs to stabilize pressure on either side of the ear drums. The deep intake of air can sometimes cause a popping sound that only the yawner can hear; this is the pressure on the inner ear stabilizing. This commonly occurs in environments where pressure is changing relatively rapidly, such as inside an airplane and when travelling up and down hills, which cause the eardrums to be bent instead of flat. Some people yawn when storms approach, which is a sure sign that changes in pressure affect them.

Some movements in psychotherapy such as Re-evaluation Counseling or co-counselling believe that yawning, along with laughter and crying, are means of "discharging" painful emotion, and therefore can be encouraged in order to promote physical and emotional healing.

They all seem plausible explanations to me. Who knows what the real reason is... :shrug:

There are complex overlapping behavioural and physiological factors behind yawning. Thus, there is no single answer to the ‘contagious yawning’ question. (Of course, this will never stop mass media fluff pieces from trying to suggest that there is.)

I saw a theory of yawning that said it was to increase oxygen absorbtion prior to a change of activity.
In effect, it's a forced deep breath.

If a guest has outstayed your bedtime, it is both a signal for them to go and a good boost of oxygen for the effort involved in their leaving.

<< boringeningess >>

That not boring though..it a whole new word you've invented!

Back