The REAL Satanism

Thoreau

Valued Senior Member
If your going to post, please READ ALL OF WHAT I HAVE TO SAY. I know its LONG but you just may learn something new, and maybe something new about yourself.

I've spent MANY years studying (for my own personal interest) different world religions and faiths. I've read hundred's of book, articles, legitimate websites and other material on the various paths that exist. I find it fascinating to learn the various belief structures that exist in our wild world. I've studied all the major faiths as well as others such as Shamanism (both Celtic and Native American), Paganism, and Taoism just to name a small few.

But one of faiths that has always stuck out in my mind is Satanism.

Now for those of you who like to assume... no I am not a Satanist myself. If you are wondering, I am more of a spiritual person than a religious. MEANING that I pretty much shred religions and faiths apart and take what I believe to be the best factors, in my judgment, of each path and apply them to my life as needed.

However, many do not know what Modern Satanism is, nor will I be your tour guide through the all in's and out's of this faith. But I would like to point out a few things that really that I find intriguing and get your opinion on them.

Remember, I am here to EDUCATE and receive feedback, not to preach or try to covert or anything in that manner.

Now many of you (if not all) believe that Satanism and devil worship go hand-in-hand. However that is false.

"What is the difference between Satanism and devil worship?

Satanism and devil worship are two distinctly different animals. Devil worship is what it is: the worship of an external deity (in this case, a "devil"), much as it could be labeled inverse Christianity -- that is, confining yourself to the Christian religion and overall model, but merely choosing the "bad guy" in their Bible instead of the purportedly central character. The Satan in Satanism is an archetype, one many know by name and is relative to the culture. Some Satanists choose different aspects of this archetype, depending on geography or just plain aesthetics, but the same characteristics still hold true. It would make little sense for us to claim to embody the archetypal qualities of Satan (rebellion, rational self-interest, carnality, etc.) on one hand, and then attempt to worship an anthropomorphic Satan on the other. In laymen's terms, it's hardly rebellious to worship a figure that represents rebellion. The Satanist finds unproductive and one-sided idol worship to be draining and useless (not to mention hypocritical).
"

Learn something yet?

Here is another part of their belief that I find quite interesting and agreeable.

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
I
Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

II
Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure that they want to hear them.

III
When in another's lair (house/territory), show him respect or else do not go there.

IV
If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

V
Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

VI
Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the person and he cries out to be relieved.

VII
Acknowledge the power of magic if you have used it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.

VIII
Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

IX
Do not harm little children.

X
Do not kill non-human animals unless attacked or for your food.

XI
When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

What's not to agree with?

As you will soon read, even Satanism has sins.

The Nine Satanic Sins
For years, people have asked Church of Satan representatives, "Well, okay - your philosophy is based on indulgence of human instincts but do you have sins like any other religion?" Our answer has always been "No". But the time has come to amend that response. We have grown steadily over the past 21 years and find that it is appropriate to have some clear guidelines on, not only what we strive for, but also what we work to avoid - what we disapprove of. The difference is where other religions develop sins that people can't avoid, we consider a number of things "sinful" that people could avoid if they worked a little.

Stupidity
The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.

Pretentiousness
Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn't applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone's made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.

Solipsism
Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They won't. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do unto you." It's work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.

Self-deceit
It's in the Nine Satanic Statements but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered into is when it's fun, and with awareness. But then, it's not self-deceit!

Herd Conformity
That's obvious from a Satanic stance. It's all right to conform to a person's wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of the many.

Lack of Perspective
Again, this one can lead to a lot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints -- know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.

Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
Be aware that this is one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something "new" and "different," when in reality it's something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the "creator" and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.

Counterproductive Pride
That first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The rule of Satanism is: if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow," then do it.

Lack of Aesthetics
This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. Aesthetics is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off classical standards of beauty and form most of the time so they are discouraged in a consumer society, but "an eye" for for beauty, for balance, is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for greatest magical effectiveness. It's not what's supposed to be pleasing -- it's what is. Aesthetics is a personal thing, reflective of one's own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.

Again, interesting and mostly agreeable.

One last quote.

"The Nine Satanic Statements
I
Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!

II
Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams!

III
Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!

IV
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

V
Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!

VI
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

VII
Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development, has become the most vicious animal of all!

VIII
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

IX
Satan is the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!"

Now if you've actually sat here for the past 5-10 minutes and REALLY read what I have posted, here are my questions for you...

According to Satanism's core beliefs (which I posted above)...
1) What is YOUR opinion of their faith?
2) Has that opinion changed at all now that you've had a little more knowledge on the subject?
3) Despite your current faith and what you've been conditioned to believe, are the values and points of Satanism something YOU believe as well?

And the ULTIMATE question...

DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE NOTHING REALLY WRONG OR OUT OF PLACE WITH THIS RELIGION?

I see it pretty much as the religion of humanity at its purist form. Now I know alot of Christian's out there would NEVER consciously admit that they actually relate in some way to Satanism due to the constraints of their faith. But I am asking you for one second to put aside whatever personal beliefs that you have held and form an honest and UNBIASED opinion.

Ok couldn't resist... here's one more for you...

"If you don't believe in an actual Satan, then why do you say 'Hail Satan' in texts and rituals?

In addition to what is stated before considering how we contextualize Satan, this is my take on this fairly common question:

1) "Hail Satan!" (the exclamation point is optional, though preferred) is often another way of saying "Hail Me!" Since we Satanists embody the qualities of the archetype of Satan, it stands to reason that the phrase is both apropos and analogous. You very well could say "Hail Me!" instead, but keep in mind this...

2) "Hail Satan!" is also a salute to our achievements (both collective and, more importantly, individual), ethics, and heritage. It is a statement of pride in defiance of a polyglot, egalitarian, and ignorant way of life represented by the nauseating Christ ethos and its followers. If we have signed any pact with Satan, it is this. "

By the way, citations are from various online sources (mainly http://web.satanism101.com)

If you want more answers or info, that is a good place to start.

Whereas I shall admit that some of the tenets of LaVeyian Satanism (what is presented here) are actually extremely good and wholesome to adopt, there are three problems:

1. Calling it "real" Satanism is absurd. It took the name of a Judeo-Christian concept and then changed to fit an entirely different semi-magical practice. Devil worship in the traditional, black mass-esque, type way, is thus more legitimately Satanic.

2. Anton LaVey went to great lengths to appear "scary" and "dark". Trying to claim that his middle name was legitimately "Szandor". He was basically a "Goth" fetishist.

3. There is no proof whatsoever presented by the Church of Satan that its magical systems work. I'd like to see some empirical testings of spells before they try to delude people into believing they can cast such nonsense.

Prince_James said:
1. Calling it "real" Satanism is absurd. It took the name of a Judeo-Christian concept and then changed to fit an entirely different semi-magical practice. Devil worship in the traditional, black mass-esque, type way, is thus more legitimately Satanic.

2. Anton LaVey went to great lengths to appear "scary" and "dark". Trying to claim that his middle name was legitimately "Szandor". He was basically a "Goth" fetishist.

3. There is no proof whatsoever presented by the Church of Satan that its magical systems work. I'd like to see some empirical testings of spells before they try to delude people into believing they can cast such nonsense.

As far as #1: I classified as it "REAL" because most people who have no knowledge of LaVeyian Satanism, they believe that Satanism is something that it is not, thus being FALSE beliefs. Understand?

As far as #2: Personally, I don't care what Anton attempted to come off as. I am looking at the Philosophy, not the founder.

As far as #3: Fact is,I have concluded in my research that not all Satanist's believe in "magic". And that is beside the point that I was trying to make.

ALSO, as far as the "REAL Satanism" dispute of yours, another reason for its title is because LaVeyian Satanism is the prominant Satanic belief structure that is shared among "Satanist's" as a whole. Yes there are others, however few practice them and most traditions are out-dated.

Magic and superstitions asside the tenets seem entirely attractive and laudable.

One other thing as far as your #1... In my personal opinion, those who believe and worship in the literal Satan as derived from the Christian bible, are in fact themselves Christian but worship at the other end of the spectrum. The do not worship Jesus, however they worship the CHRISTIAN devil. Does this make sense to you?

MZ3Boy84 said:
It's agreeable, just as agreeable as any other faith/philosophy.
2) Has that opinion changed at all now that you've had a little more knowledge on the subject?
Already knew all of that....so, no.
3) Despite your current faith and what you've been conditioned to believe, are the values and points of Satanism something YOU believe as well?
Not all of them, but some are.
And the ULTIMATE question...

Yes.

Also, someone's opinion is usually biased, as it is their opinion

Eh. Better than christianity in any case. Satanism kinda leaves it up to you to decide your morals. Christian morals are arbitrary and usually hypocritical.

Satanism is egoism. They worship their person. Thus, it is devil worship.

All religions suck. It's so stupid to follow specific rules. No fixed rules or personalities can ever adapt perfectly for the everchanging life. People only believe certain things because they want an easy life. But there is no good belief system; what is right and wrong depends on time and place.

Last edited:
1. The Nine Satanic Statements make the religion seem rather jaded and immature. The Rules and Sins are not very disagreeable.

2. I already knew the gist of it. Thanks, Discovery Channel!

3. Some of it. Not all of it. I think Satanism will always be a fringe religion because it promotes selfishness and egotism, which is not acceptable by everyone's standards and certainly not in the best interests of a whole society.

Prince_James said:
Whereas I shall admit that some of the tenets of LaVeyian Satanism (what is presented here) are actually extremely good and wholesome to adopt, there are three problems:

M*W: It is NOT the "power" of the "spells" that make the magick work, it's the "belief" in the "power" that makes the magick work. It is ALWAYS in the mind of the performer of "spells." It is ONLY in the mind. Believing makes it so, but first, do no harm.

MZ3Boy84 said:

It doesn't bind people together in purpose (that's a human psychological need that most religions fulfill), has some extreme views that don't promote survival (ex. destroy that person whose annoying you), and doesn't have any real goal measurements and heirarchies.

Back