The Purpose of Religion

TruthSeeker

Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey
Valued Senior Member
We talk so much about religion here, but why do we do that? What's the point? Are we just wasting our times?

I suggest we explore the purpose of religion. Why did mankind create religion? Was there a purpose for it? There was certainly a reason for its creation. What are the psychological implications of religion? How does it affect us? And how did it affect us thousands of years ago, when most religions were created? Also, what are the lessons that we can learn from the newest religions?

I would also suggest us to begin with a clear and concise definition of "religion". We do not need to agree on a single definition to discuss the purpose of religion, but I think it is important for every member to highlight their own definition of religion before discussing its purpose.

Religion-A following of an entity that you percieve greater than yourself. Subsequently, unquestioning faith in this entity or appointees(or ones believed to be appointees) of said entity ensue.

purpose of religion

is to keep the masses of blindly obedient followers do whatever you want them to.
if you consider the Human race to be one big organism that keeps fighting for survival like all animals and living creatures do,it makes some sense.
even if millions of people kill each other in the name of their god,so what ...some will always survive and carry on...well until they drop the BIG ONE I guess :eek:

and with their silly aftelife haven awaits them ,beliefs Im sure you can see why atheists dislike such idiocy,religion is a dangerous mind virus that can destroy us all.

www.atheists.org/Atheism/music.html

I think it was for simple, social unity. Without a unifying "thing" or force, the growth of societies (cities) might well have collapsed under their own weight.

Look around the world today ...in many, many areas of the world, the unifying forces that once worked for cities/societies is collapsing and civil wars and social and religious conflicts abound. And it's not just third world countries, either ...look at the USA, where we have conflicts even about celebrating Christmas in some cities, not to mention the other religious conficts. We're losing that unifying force ...with nothing to take it's place.

Baron Max

We talk so much about religion here, but why do we do that? What's the point? Are we just wasting our times?

I suggest we explore the purpose of religion. Why did mankind create religion? Was there a purpose for it? There was certainly a reason for its creation. What are the psychological implications of religion? How does it affect us? And how did it affect us thousands of years ago, when most religions were created? Also, what are the lessons that we can learn from the newest religions?

I would also suggest us to begin with a clear and concise definition of "religion". We do not need to agree on a single definition to discuss the purpose of religion, but I think it is important for every member to highlight their own definition of religion before discussing its purpose.

religion - from Old French, or from Latin religio(n-) obligation, bond, reverence, perhaps based on Latin religare to bind.
(OXFORD dictionary)

- even if one wants to say that religion is all about controllingthe masses, it has something more than that, since politics and law enforcement agencies also work on similar guidelines, and it would seem absurd to describe them as religious.

Religion has obvious connatations to transcendence ("going beyond the senses/empiricism/the gross phenomenal world to the noumenal), hence the notion of it being derived from religare, to bind or connect (similar to the sanskrit word, yoga, to yoke).

So when you want to connect/bind/yoke something, you are required to have two things, thus religion is about the connecting the living entity (in the medium of illusion/ignorance/ephemera/misery) to God (enlightenment/knowledge/eternality/happiness).

As for how it affects us, essentially it is the same - now, 10 000 years ago or 10 000 years in the future, we still suffer from the three catergories of difficulties (problems from other living entities, problems from our own body and mind and problems from natural disasters) and sufferings (birth, death, old age and disease).

As for old religions and new religions, they are simply differences in time, place and circumstances to address these issues (a 'new' religion that doesn't properly address these issues of connection and suffering/difficulties of material existence is probably a bogus one - eg "worship god and get a good job/make lots of money/amass ephemeral assets and be happy")

I think it was for simple, social unity. Without a unifying "thing" or force, the growth of societies (cities) might well have collapsed under their own weight.

Look around the world today ...in many, many areas of the world, the unifying forces that once worked for cities/societies is collapsing and civil wars and social and religious conflicts abound. And it's not just third world countries, either ...look at the USA, where we have conflicts even about celebrating Christmas in some cities, not to mention the other religious conficts. We're losing that unifying force ...with nothing to take it's place.

Baron Max
I totally agree.

.... :eek: :bugeye:

Back