The production of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) by white blood cells.

John99

Banned
Banned
I know white blood cells (specifically Peroxisomes) produce hydrogen peroxide to destroy bacteria or viruses, but in what quantity and how? Is it only made by white blood cells?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxisome

Oh, forgot this. In what quantities would it become lethal? Where it would destroy beneficial bacteria.

Last edited:
There must be a trigger. Something that comes from a bad bacteria that binds to the white blood cell, giving it the signal to release hydrogen peroxide. They are formed in the endoplasmatic reticulum and then released with the trigger.

I don't think the purpose of the peroxisomes is defense. For one, it is not produced only by defense cells, like white blood cells. Second, its purpose is to break down fatty-acids. I suggest you read the link you gave us.... Did you read it? Is there something you don't understand from it?

There must be a trigger. Something that comes from a bad bacteria that binds to the white blood cell, giving it the signal to release hydrogen peroxide. They are formed in the endoplasmatic reticulum and then released with the trigger.

I don't think the purpose of the peroxisomes is defense. For one, it is not produced only by defense cells, like white blood cells. Second, its purpose is to break down fatty-acids. I suggest you read the link you gave us.... Did you read it? Is there something you don't understand from it?

I think the production of H2O2 is constant and is used as a purifying agent to fight bacteria etc. Does the link refute this?

The link says nothing about bacteria. It says that H2O2 is used to help the cells digest fatty acids.

I am pretty sure its purpose is as anti-viral and antibacterial etc.

I just google Peroxisome and that was the first page it found but no i did not read that particular one.

The purpose of the peroxisome is to digest fatty acids. It's written in the article. Nowhere in it says that peroxisomes are used as a defense mechanism.

The purpose of the peroxisome is to digest fatty acids. It's written in the article. Nowhere in it says that peroxisomes are used as a defense mechanism.

Oh well excuse me. i thjought there was an aspect of white blood cells CALLED peroxisome which produces the H2O2. Where you aware of that?

i think the definition gives a good clue:

per·ox·i·some (pə-rŏk'sĭ-sōm')
n. A cell organelle containing enzymes, such as catalase and oxidase, that catalyze (causing or accelerating of a chemical change by the addition of a catalyst) the production and breakdown of hydrogen peroxide.

A little assembly line perhaps. A mini factory as such.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing terms here. Peroxisomes are, as already mentioned an organelle, with anabolic as well as catabolic functions. In addition it in fact removes reactive oxygen species (as opposed to creating them) by means of a number of enzymes, including the catalase which catalyzes the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water.

What you might be thinking of are maybe neutrophils or macrophages which are cells (not organelles) that use oxidative bursts to harm other cells.

I think you are confusing terms here. Peroxisomes are, as already mentioned an organelle, with anabolic as well as catabolic functions. In addition it in fact removes reactive oxygen species (as opposed to creating them) by means of a number of enzymes, including the catalase which catalyzes the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to oxygen and water.

What you might be thinking of are maybe neutrophils or macrophages which are cells (not organelles) that use oxidative bursts to harm other cells.

Thanks for the information. I should have known to check for better reference because the info i got is that Peroxisomes were responsible, but i am having trouble finding good information. From what i (now) understand there is a combination of H2O2 and Ozone used\produced by the body to fight bacteria.

The link that i used, which may as you pointed out be erroneous states (i prefer not to link to it so i will quote what is relevant):

In regards to Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) production-

Hydrogen peroxide is a part of normal metabolism.
Your body produces it constantly. There are units in certain white blood cells called "peroxisomes," which produce H2O2. These white cells then engulf bacteria which cause disease and mix them together with these peroxisomes. They both then disappear as the singlet oxygen from H2O2 destroys the bacteria or virus. This happens naturally, without any help from outside sources of hydrogen peroxide.

Considering the source i will accept you response as more accurate, feel free to add to this.

The only decent article i have seen on this is - http://scienceweek.com/2004/sc040723-5.htm

Anything else i can look at CharonZ?

Sounds like someone confused peroxisomes with lysosomes (whoever wrote the link)....
Two similar, but different organelles....

Actually I am not sure what you want to know. More about the immune system or more about H2O2 production?

In case of H2O2 production, beside the production during the immune response (oxidative or sometimes also termed respiratory burst), it is also required for the production of thyroxine.
Also, it is a byproduct of oxygen dependent respiration. Electrons tend to leak out of the ubiquinon pool of the electron transfer chain and react with oxygen, creating superoxide anions. These are then converted to H2O2 by the superoxide dismutase which in turn in detoxified by the already mentioned catalase.

Originally Posted by TruthSeeker
The link says nothing about bacteria. It says that H2O2 is used to help the cells digest fatty acids.

That link is not enough. just ask CharonZ and he\she will tell you it it along with Ozone is used\produced by the body as anti-bacterial, at least that is what i found. Or just google the key words.

Maybe i am wrong, hopefully CharonZ will answer that.

Actually I am not sure what you want to know. More about the immune system or more about H2O2 production?

In case of H2O2 production, beside the production during the immune response (oxidative or sometimes also termed respiratory burst), it is also required for the production of thyroxine.
Also, it is a byproduct of oxygen dependent respiration. Electrons tend to leak out of the ubiquinon pool of the electron transfer chain and react with oxygen, creating superoxide anions. These are then converted to H2O2 by the superoxide dismutase which in turn in detoxified by the already mentioned catalase.

I did not understand all of your post.

If you have time can you explain this:

The purpose of H2O2\ why it is produced. I suppose the detoxification is just to get rid of it as it is production is consistant. I guess the end result of detoxification is water, would it be more accurate to say it is neutralized since it alone is not toxic but only in quantity. Also, what quantity?

Thanks

Anyone is free to respond.

Last edited:
Back