The Price: War on Terror hurts America's Faithful

Ummmmm ....

• So ... what's up with this guy?

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Poor fellow, treated so poorly by his government.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How ... bizarre; it really is a strange set of circumstances.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • (Other) / (Serious Comment)

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
WorldNet Daily reports that a Maine resident has been fined $10,000 by the United States government for going to church.

Er ... at least, that's what the headline suggests. But the story apparently is that Richard Albert, a Maine resident who lives pretty much on the border, has crossed into Canada illegally twice.
The U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection recently notified Richard Albert, 52, of the fines, saying he violated new tighter security regulations by crossing back into the U.S. on Sundays, when the local crossing station was closed, reported the Bangor Daily News.

According to the report, Albert's home is right next to the U.S. Customs office, a mere 30 yards from the international border. His church, however, is on the Canadian side.

Although Albert has been crossing the border with relative freedom for more than 40 years, the feds have eliminated the program that allows pre-approved people to cross the border when border stations are closed.

"It was never an issue to cross before May 1, 2003, when they put a gate on the boundary and locked it up," Albert told the Bangor paper. "This situation, it's like having a nightmare, and you feel that Big Brother is really controlling you and you can do nothing about it" . . . .

. . . . "We're supposed to stay here and not move? There's nothing here on the American side," Albert told the paper. "We feel like we're being treated like animals here. At 9 p.m. we're locked in the barns, and at 6 a.m. we're let out to pasture."
Another victim of Osama bin Laden.

I don't even know where to start. I mean, I feel for the guy, but hey, we all make sacrifices.

And though it's merely something amiss in my own perception, the whole problem seems strange to me. If there's nothing on this side of the border for you, sir ... well? I don't wish to say, "Leave, then," but ... if there's "nothing here on the American side," well ....

But I, frankly, must admit that I never expected this particular controversy from the New American Security.

But since everyone's into discussing religious people losing their rights in the War on Terror, I'm curious:

• What do you think of this fellow, his situation, and his complaint?
• Does his situation have any faith implications, or is it just a personal issue?

• WorldNet Daily. "Man fined $10,000 after going to church." February 10, 2004. See http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37052

I'm sorry but religion is not an excuse to break the law. The international border isn't put there for general amusement. They report on this, and try to get the sympathetic view because he's a religious man, whereas if it was some poor ass mexican or cuban sneaking across american borders nobody would give a shit, they'd even recomment the perpetrators be shot.

If he's a true believer, he'd acknowledge that this god of his would be with him no matter what side of the bloody fence he was on.

I can picture Mr.Albert passing a 'do not cross' line on to a railroad track and then getting fried like a chicken... "but there's nothing to do in america."

There is no question. That's sort of the point. You just pick the one that nearest to satisfactorily represents you.

I suppose the implied question is, "What do you think of the situation described in the news story?"

Back