The Power of God

superluminal

I am MalcomR
Valued Senior Member
It is to the huge benefit of theists for god to remain a complete mystery and unproveable. God - the idea - is indeed omnipotent and omniscient. This way, god can be used as an explanation or justification for any behavior without accountability to the world of men. As long as god sanctions a behavior (as interpreted by men), then war, slavery, oppression, and continuous dissention among people can be embraced. It's no wonder then that god is so generally popular. The real attraction of god is that it speaks directly to our most fundamental animal instincts. The desire for power and domination. The theme of the bible. We will tell you what you can and cannot do, in the name of god almighty. And if your enemies worship allah instead of christ the lord, how much easier is it to kill them?

Any theist that debates the existence of god is engaged in a self defeating enterprise. Is it any wonder that their arguments lack consistency or a foundation in reality?

Ironically, the disposal of human accountability is the same argument used by theists against atheists. That we wish to "do as we please" by disposing of accountability to god. However it seems that non-theists have generally risen above the base need to dominate others. We look for a more cooperative relationship among humans, with respect, no matter what they believe.

So, the overwhelming power of god seems to be the ability to keep groups of people in a constant state of subdued hatred for each other.

Individual theists may outwardly be loving, kind, generous people. But how can the typical theist interact with you, the atheist or the theist with a different god, as anything but an unfortunate who is without the love of their god and therfore spiritually lost and morally suspect ? I claim thay can't and that this is the subtle engine that drives the group consciousness of religion at large.

Any theist that looks at religion with the idea that its global nature is anything other than divisive is simply in blind denial. The facts are clear. Despite tiny local variations, the god idea is arguably humanity's worst idea.

SL (insomniac extroadinaire)

superluminal said:
Any theist that debates the existence of god is engaged in a self defeating enterprise.

Agreed, debate is completey futile.

God, self, reality, life, tao, brahman, matter, nothing, whatever...........is only ever experienced................take your pick.......enjoy it........dont worry about what anyone else thinks (or doesnt think).

The debates been raging for thousands of years, theres already enough info, books, theories on every possible angle to make a choice. No ones got anything new to say, just round and round in circles.

hmm neat
are you an atheist or a theist
watever you are
you must still beleive in life
rite?
bcos if you dont beleive well den you cant exist can you

i opine that god is one of humanitys ways to explain thought
just like science
its dat the concept of god is not totally useless

Can God make a boulder so big that even He could not lift? Or could he create a entity more powerful than He was? Paradoxes...

Can't discuss or argue anything about "god" until a decision is made as to which god is the real one. Will the real god please stand up!

marv, I present you THE GREAT CTHULHU

RISE, OH MIGHTY ONE
FROM THE DEPTHS OF SEA,
FROM YOUR FABLED CITY OF R'LYEH

now I shall run and watch the Great Cthulhu devour you all! mwhahahahaa!

cthulhu-rising_lit.jpg

Last edited:
Pray to me, The Glorious White One. You can see me speak to you all, I am absolutely real. Some can even see me, if they travel to NYC.

Childish gibberish ^.

The Glorious White One asks for little. Wear white and do nice things for The Glorious White One. Not only do I speak to you, but I also comprehend what you're saying!

raherakthy said:
hmm neat
are you an atheist or a theist
watever you are

Superluminal is an atheist, I think. Sorry, if I'm wrong.
watever you are you must still beleive in life rite?bcos if you dont beleive well den you cant exist can you

What a dumb question. Why the heck do you have to <I>believe</I> in life?
"I think, therefore I am"
Remember? Well, you seem to have said almost the same thing.

i opine that god is one of humanitys ways to explain thought
just like science
its dat the concept of god is not totally useless

No.
God is not a way of explaining things. It may have been, originally. Now, it's a way of keeping people from trying to explain things. It is SO unlike science. Science is not "Okay, this is so and so, now shut up"! Science is more of a way of questioning. Yes. It is <I>way</I> of questioning.

And the issue isn't whether the concept is useless or not. That's like saying: "Oh, it's better to be blind, so I won't see ugliness".

Rosnet,

Yes I am an atheist. And I could barely read raherakthy's post let alone make any sense out of it. Thanks for responding to him.

Rosnet said:
Superluminal is an atheist, I think. Sorry, if I'm wrong.

What a dumb question. Why the heck do you have to <I>believe</I> in life?
"I think, therefore I am"
Remember? Well, you seem to have said almost the same thing.

No.
God is not a way of explaining things. It may have been, originally. Now, it's a way of keeping people from trying to explain things. It is SO unlike science. Science is not "Okay, this is so and so, now shut up"! Science is more of a way of questioning. Yes. It is <I>way</I> of questioning.

And the issue isn't whether the concept is useless or not. That's like saying: "Oh, it's better to be blind, so I won't see ugliness".

the concept of god is not a limiting one
it does not keep people from explaining things
wat has fed the imagination of minds for generations cannot be dumb
what you beleive exists and that something else that god symbolises
god aint no miracle worker
i think therefore iam
is equivalent to "god created me"
god is de the mega loop of thought and thought trying to explain itself

superluminal said:
It is to the huge benefit of theists for god to remain a complete mystery and unproveable. God - the idea - is indeed omnipotent and omniscient. This way, god can be used as an explanation or justification for any behavior without accountability to the world of men. As long as god sanctions a behavior (as interpreted by men), then war, slavery, oppression, and continuous dissention among people can be embraced. It's no wonder then that god is so generally popular. The real attraction of god is that it speaks directly to our most fundamental animal instincts. The desire for power and domination. The theme of the bible. We will tell you what you can and cannot do, in the name of god almighty. And if your enemies worship allah instead of christ the lord, how much easier is it to kill them?

Any theist that debates the existence of god is engaged in a self defeating enterprise. Is it any wonder that their arguments lack consistency or a foundation in reality?

Ironically, the disposal of human accountability is the same argument used by theists against atheists. That we wish to "do as we please" by disposing of accountability to god. However it seems that non-theists have generally risen above the base need to dominate others. We look for a more cooperative relationship among humans, with respect, no matter what they believe.

So, the overwhelming power of god seems to be the ability to keep groups of people in a constant state of subdued hatred for each other.

Individual theists may outwardly be loving, kind, generous people. But how can the typical theist interact with you, the atheist or the theist with a different god, as anything but an unfortunate who is without the love of their god and therfore spiritually lost and morally suspect ? I claim thay can't and that this is the subtle engine that drives the group consciousness of religion at large.

Any theist that looks at religion with the idea that its global nature is anything other than divisive is simply in blind denial. The facts are clear. Despite tiny local variations, the god idea is arguably humanity's worst idea.

SL (insomniac extroadinaire)

Do you know that Christ is the power of God biblically speaking?

enton: Do you know that Christ is the power of God biblically speaking?
M*W: Biblically speaking, I should have been burned at the stake. So what's your point? Preaching is NOT allowed on this forum!

If you have some scholarly evidence to confirm what you preach, we're waiting to see it. Otherwise, you're talking out of your ass.

enton:

Do you know that Christ is the power of God biblically speaking?

What kind of inane response is that?

Do you know that there's a Wocket in my Pocket, Dr. Seussically speaking?

Medicine Woman said:
enton: Do you know that Christ is the power of God biblically speaking?
M*W: Biblically speaking, I should have been burned at the stake. So what's your point? Preaching is NOT allowed on this forum!

If you have some scholarly evidence to confirm what you preach, we're waiting to see it. Otherwise, you're talking out of your ass.

Medicine Woman said:
If I have you`ll still not believe even if you can evaluated my objective evidence as true, still you`ll stand on what you have right now. Clear?

enton: If I have you`ll still not believe even if you can evaluated my objective evidence as true, still you`ll stand on what you have right now. Clear?
M*W: I implore you and all the other Christians on this forum to show us your evidence. Bible scripture and preaching just won't cut it. You can't show it, because you don't have any objective evidence.

Believing in Jesus may be something important to you on your blind faith, but it is not important to me without the proof. For 20+ years, I've diligently searched for the truth. Now I have found it, and I truly, completely, and imphatically reject the mythos of Jesus and Christianity.

Medicine Woman said:
enton: If I have you`ll still not believe even if you can evaluated my objective evidence as true, still you`ll stand on what you have right now. Clear?
M*W: I implore you and all the other Christians on this forum to show us your evidence. Bible scripture and preaching just won't cut it. You can't show it, because you don't have any objective evidence.

Believing in Jesus may be something important to you on your blind faith, but it is not important to me without the proof. For 20+ years, I've diligently searched for the truth. Now I have found it, and I truly, completely, and imphatically reject the mythos of Jesus and Christianity.
We`ll its your choice and I can do nothing about it. Where you are happy stick to it but don`t forget worldly happiness is for the mean time only.

By the way, madam, you don`t need our objective evidence due to the fact that you have the truth as you claimed and I lied as you supposed. Therefore tell other people here that you are credible and I am not. Funny :D

Back