The personality of God - all denominations

Quantum Quack

Life's a tease...
Valued Senior Member
Hi Guys,
I thought that maybe you would like to participate in a thread devoted to helping define the personality of the God you believe in.
using brief quotes from your various religious texts to help support your opinion. Alternatively your own personal understanding of Gods personality via your own personal experience. [ relationship]

Definition of "personality" provided by http://www.answers.com/topic/personality

1. The quality or condition of being a person.
  2. The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.
  3. The pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person: Though their personalities differed, they got along as friends.
  4. Distinctive qualities of a person, especially those distinguishing personal characteristics that make one socially appealing: won the election more on personality than on capability. See synonyms at disposition.
  5. A person as the embodiment of distinctive traits of mind and behavior.
  6. A person of prominence or notoriety: television personalities.
  7. An offensively personal remark. Often used in the plural: Let's not engage in personalities.
  8. The distinctive characteristics of a place or situation: furnishings that give a room personality.

The vaishnava literature is jam packed full of personal descriptions of god (sometimes called primary descriptions) and the way he relates to others. The problem is however, that unless one properly has their head around the secondary descriptions (god is all powerful, omnipotent, cause of all causes) and can bring their activities in line with such comprehension (ie, thus there is an obligational duty for me to refrain from sin, trying to enter into such topics will not be particularly fruitful.

The vaishnava literature is jam packed full of personal descriptions of god (sometimes called primary descriptions) and the way he relates to others. The problem is however, that unless one properly has their head around the secondary descriptions (god is all powerful, omnipotent, cause of all causes) and can bring their activities in line with such comprehension (ie, thus there is an obligational duty for me to refrain from sin, trying to enter into such topics will not be particularly fruitful.

I guess in some if not most cases the overwhelming nature of "Gods' Power" tends to obstruct us from getting to know him in a way that affords a relief from the paranoia associated....I use the word paranoia because IMO fearing God is un justified.

I guess in some if not most cases the overwhelming nature of "Gods' Power" tends to obstruct us from getting to know him in a way that affords a relief from the paranoia associated....I use the word paranoia because IMO fearing God is un justified.
fear is only an issue with god for as long as we are irrevocably disposed towards sinful life, and sin is diminished by surrender to god (in the sense of obedience being the first clause of love)

fear is only an issue with god for as long as we are irrevocably disposed towards sinful life, and sin is diminished by surrender to god (in the sense of obedience being the first clause of love)
May I ask how you would describe what you just stated as a personality trait of God?

Thanks for the link lightgigantic, I shall give it a read. However it is the purpose of this thread , if possible, that persons describe their own individual belief in what the personality of God may be to them using what ever text they may choose to refer to.

If you believe that Gods personality is aptly described for you in the link provided then that is what you believe.

Is it possible to post a relatively brief summation of you own personal belief as to God's personality?

I personally could use the followig statement as a clue as to my own personal belief:

"The only power we have *over God [ acka nature ] is the power of wisdom, sound reasoning, sound logic and rational."

*The words "over God "does not imply that we can achieve greater power than God's but simply that in sane co-operation we can achieve some of the power that God [ acka Nature ] can grant us. [ Grace]

I personally could use the followig statement as a clue as to my own personal belief:

"The only power we have *over God [ acka nature ] is the power of wisdom, sound reasoning, sound logic and rational."

*The words "over God "does not imply that we can achieve greater power than God's but simply that in sane co-operation we can achieve some of the power that God [ acka Nature ] can grant us. [ Grace]
that's an issue remarkably similar to the link

It explains how we can acquire about 78% of god's qualities (in optimum conditions), but even then, we cannot possess them in the quantity that god can (for eg, we may have access to reasoning,etc, but this reasoning, even in its best functional capacity cannot compare to god's)

Quantum Quack
The personality of God - all denominations

In Buddhism, like atheism, the personality of God is void, empty, null, without meaning or definition.

In Buddhism, like atheism, the personality of God is void, empty, null, without meaning or definition.

Interesting.
Where in the Pali Canon does Siddhartha discuss this?

I still haven't quite gotten a handle on his thoughts on God/Brahma etc.
People often refer to the Buddha as an Atheist, but he did routinely refer to the Demigods of the day, he talked of Hell and he claimed to have wrestled with Mara.

Back