The "New Religion"

Ladybug

Registered Member
Don't you think the "New" religion of the world is consumerism?

Think about it. Where are people on Sunday? Are they in church? I see more cars in the lots of malls than in church parking lots (and for longer lengths of time).

I think the phrase "the Almighty Dollar" says it all.

I agree consumerism is the "new" religion of western society , and it has its based in both deity-worshippers as athetists , as they both drive on the cultural normality of society , wich today is this consumerism .

As organized religion can hold some strings and practice some psychological manipulation , both the modernized worshippers (those who think having faith is enough) as well as atheists or agnostsics or non-carers have fallen into a culture that is driven by earthly greed , and its within the wonderfull economic context of capitalism .

Hey , can you expect anything other from them this way , than to go out and just buy ?

If you aren't sure there is going to be a next life you may as well better yourself in this one. (and if you are altruistic, do somthing to better the rest of the world)

If you aren't sure there is going to be a next life you may as well better yourself in this one.

How is any of this here discussed bettering yourself Clock ?

If not precisely a religion, could it perhaps be said to be supplanting to some extent the comforting notions which religion provided concerning one's place in "the scheme of things"?

Or at least being taken for such by people bereft of comparable spiritual "guideposts" which have been cast away with the decline of religion in the West?

Or it might simply be that people work all week long, like to party on a saturday and thus only have sunday left to do the shopping for the week.

Of course that's just a long shot.... :rolleyes:

Hey...
Jesus was a party... ummm... God!
Didn't he conjure up more potent potables for that wedding shindig?

This is the kind of guy I want showing up at my bash!
(JC: Where ya goin', man?
Self: Uhhh... We're fresh outta booze, Lord...
JC: Not a Prob, man... Check this out... )

;)

Oops. Put the quotes in the original statement in the wrong place. It should have been new "religion". I didn't mean it to be taken for an actual religion, the point is simply that people spend more time bettering their wardrobes (or cars, or houses, or _______) than they do bettering themselves. And more tithes go here, too, I suspect!

Killjoy got it right, I think. My brain is having trouble wrapping around the 10 cent words, but I think it agrees with what I was going for here. :D

Back