The name for the point where a probability changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammad Nor Syamsu

Registered Member
As in the title, the name for the point where a probability changes please.

This is an exceedingly simple question, but sometimes the simple can be less obvious so I will clarify.

First the chance of something is 1/4, then later it is 1/3, in between the chance changed, the point where this chance changed is called ......?

I use the word decision, or determination. Resolution may be another word in use. I'd like to know the common name that is in use within science for that point, if there is one.

regards,
Mohammad Nor Syamsu

Are you envisaging a discrete (i.e.abrupt) change, so the term would perhaps come from catastrophe theory, or a gradual change, sotransition might be appropriate?

I'm looking for the most general term to cover change in a probability.

At this transition it was determined that heads would turn up. At this transition it was determined that Bush would win the election. At this transition in the match it was determined that the Chicago Bulls would win.

I want to use the word like that.

So is this a good use of transition?

regards,
Mohammad Nor Syamsu

Turning Point might work.
Can you give the specific example you are using it for?

No direct use. I'm arguing that the science of changing probabilities is basicly non-existent, that science hasn't even got a word in use for the phenomenon. So I'm just looking for evidence against my own argument here actually.

I ask on this artificial intelligence forum for the name, because I thought changing probabilities has a lot to do with intelligence, intelligence in an emotion sense, rather then a calculation sense. Generaly most common language about emotions has an aspect of changing the likelyhood of something. So I thought people here might have a name for the point where a probability changes, or several names.

regards,
Mohammad Nor Syamsu

As it appears. The term you are looking for is the same as the 1/4 or 1/3 points. E.g Probability or zero barrier might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back