The Most Widely Read Book in the World

Why do you believe in it? Were you told to believe in it? Can you really trust what muhammad wrote about allah?

There's an old saying..."don't always believe what you read".

The healthy skeptic
out

The Qur’an speaks of the nature of Allah, man’s relationship with Allah, and man’s relationship with others.

If this were true, then it would be ridiculous to impart this information to just one man. It would have been revealed to all.

mario said:
Why do you believe in it? Were you told to believe in it? Can you really trust what muhammad wrote about allah?

First, the Noble Quran was NOT written by prophet Muhammad (pbuh ), he could not read and write, the noble quran was revealed to prophet muhammad (pbuh ) through the angel gabriel.

But when you read the Noble Quran, you dont actually READ as you understand it in human terms, you interact with your creator through his living words....did you read the quran ?

(Q) said:
The Qur’an speaks of the nature of Allah, man’s relationship with Allah, and man’s relationship with others.

If this were true, then it would be ridiculous to impart this information to just one man. It would have been revealed to all.

It seems you did not read the Noble Quran, here is your question answered here:

''And We have not sent you ( prophet Muhammad ) except as a mercy to all mankind" (Surah Al-Anbiyah 21:107)

PM

I did not ask a question - I made an observation. If something is SO important which concerns all mankind, then it would be preposterous to think that such information could be dictated to just one man. In this case, your Allah is illogical.

PM.

If there is a God and he wanted us to know the truth, then he could do a lot better than just one prophet.

There should be many prophets all over the world, all saying the same thing at the same time. So when people started to travel round the world they should have found different people, different cultures, different languages, different prophets but the same basic religion.

Instead all religions are totally unique, or reinterpretations of old religions.
This tells us that either God doesn’t care what we believe (so long as we are good), or there is no God.

And personally I found the Quran very erratic and a bit of a mess.

If something is SO important which concerns all mankind, then it would be preposterous to think that such information could be dictated to just one man.
There is serious argument afoot even today about whether or not Islam was meant to leave Arabia in the first place:
. . . the Quran insisted that its message was simply a "reminder of truths that everybody knew. (80.11) This was the primordial faith that had been preached to the whole of humanity by the prophets of the past. God had not left human beings in ignorance about the way they should live: he had sent messengers to every people on the face of the earth. Islamic tradition would later assert that there had been 124,000 such prophets, a symbolic number suggesting infinity. All had brought their people a divinely inspired scripture; they might express the truths of God's religion differently, but essentially the message was always the same. Now at last God had sent the Quraysh a prophet and a scripture. Constantly the Quran points out that Muhammad had not come to cancel the older rleigions, to contradict their prophets or to start a new faith. His message is the same as that of Moses, David, Solomon, or Jesus. (2.129-32; 61.6) The Quran mentions only those prophets who were known to the Arabs, but today Muslim scholars argue that had Muammad known about the Buddhists or the Hindus, the Australian Aborigines or the Native Americans, the Quran would have endorsed their sages too, because all rightly guided religion that submitted wholly to God, refused to worship man-made deities and preached that justice and equality came from the same divine source. Hence Muhammad never asked Jews or Christians to accept Islam, unless they particularly wished to do so, because they had received perfectly valid revelations of their own . . . . (Armstrong, 8-10; 203)
(I have transposed the Quranic references listed in the endnotes to parenthetic notes in the text.)

It's worth also addressing--or, to be more accurate, merely acknowledging--the question of the nature of the information exchange at that time. Armstrong also notes, of the early years at Medina:
. . . some of the Jews in the smaller clans were friendly and enhanced Muhammad's knowledge of Jewish scripture. He was especially delighted to hear that in the Book of Genesis Abraham had two sons: Isaac and Ishmail (who became Ismail in Arabic), the child of his concubine Hagar. Abraham had been forced to cast Hagar and Ismail out into the wilderness, but God had saved them and promised that Ismail too would be the father of a great nation, the Arabs. (Gen. 16; 18.18-20) Local tradition had it that Hagar and Ismail had settled in Mecca, that Abraham had visited them there and that together Abraham and Ismail had rebuilt the Kabah (which had originally been erected by Adam but had fallen into disrepair). (Sidersky, 1933) This was music to Muhammad's ears. It seemed that the Arabs had not been left out of the divine plan after all, and that the Kabah had venerable monotheistic credentials. (17; 203)
We in the post-Christian West might chuckle at the seemingly-incestuous intertwining of prophets and legendary figures, but in a world where fantastic stories constituted some sense of reality, it is not really clear that the unique revelation to the Arabs was really meant to be exported.

• Armstrong, Karen. Islam: A Short History. New York: Modern Library Chronicles, 2000.

mario said:
I believe the actual saying is "YOU can't always believe what you HEAR". But you can always believe that what you wrote was indeed written by something, at some time and definitely at some place.

Well ya rainbow girl. I guess I have to believe that the words that I am reading are actually there....if that's what you mean. I was talking about the meaning behind the words.

Funny that the angel didn't pick a person who could read and write when it gave all this knowledge. By the time mohammad found some writers he may have forgotten some stuff.

No I didn't read the quran. How will reading something of an ethereal nature prove it's existence? So you had a "connection" to it. That is just an emotional reaction. A seduction of sorts. Christians experience the same thing to the bible. Can 'feelings' ever be wrong?

(Q) said:
PM

I did not ask a question - I made an observation. If something is SO important which concerns all mankind, then it would be preposterous to think that such information could be dictated to just one man. In this case, your Allah is illogical.

Q are you asking for a copy of Quran for each new born from God? Like some sort of Manual? Or are you saying it should have been revealed to every one?

what you are asking for is illogical. No offnse.

Igor Trip said:
PM.

If there is a God and he wanted us to know the truth, then he could do a lot better than just one prophet.

Who said there was only one prophet?

There is serious argument afoot even today about whether or not Islam was meant to leave Arabia in the first place:

Which brings to mind some sufi ideas that to each tongue was sent a prophet of that tongue. So why subject someone who has a prophet in their tongue to hear the prophet of another, the objective will be reached in any case. Religion is cryptic enough in our own languages - "it is the elephant in the dark" one feels an ear & elaborately describes the creature as an ear, one the tail & swears that is its true form another its foot ...

Proud Muslim, Salam, long have I read your posts & I'm not sure what to say to you but this -take heed not to mistaken the vehicle for the destination. I have not read the Quran in its entirety, it is not my tongue, but should I wish to seek Him there is prophet in my tongue who knows the way. There are many cups but one wine, drink from yours , me from mine & we shall both be drunk. So why must I use your cup when I have my own, the purpose is to drink not compare cups.

As irony would have it, Islam needs no shield, it is attacking itself, that is the view held for centuries by some sufis who saw the militance of Islam as its defeat. hence Rumi, " Look not at my exterior form , but take what is in my hand"

Igor Trip said:
PM.

But who said to you that God sent only one prophet ?? we Muslims believe GOD or Allah ( the arabic name for God ) sent thousands of prophets and he sealed them with prophet Muahmmad (pbuh ).

And personally I found the Quran very erratic and a bit of a mess.

Did you read it ???

Yes, it would have been revealed to everyone at the time.

In fact, if Allah actually existed and he wanted everyone to follow Islam and submit to him, he would have revealed this to each and every person in the world and he would have been doing so the entire time mankind has existed, and not merely to one man 14 centuries ago.

We are now left with one man's interpretation of that so-called revealing.

It is simply illogical for a god to reveal mankinds fate to one man.

Even Klattu knew he couldn't reveal mankinds fate to just one man. ;)

(Q) said:

Yes, it would have been revealed to everyone at the time.

In fact, if Allah actually existed and he wanted everyone to follow Islam and submit to him, he would have revealed this to each and every person in the world and he would have been doing so the entire time mankind has existed, and not merely to one man 14 centuries ago.

We are now left with one man's interpretation of that so-called revealing.

It is simply illogical for a god to reveal mankinds fate to one man.

Even Klattu knew he couldn't reveal mankinds fate to just one man. ;)

no it revealed to countless Prophets (peace be upon them all) since the first man, Adam.

The Torah was sent by Allah. after a number of years it started to become corrupt so the Bible was then sent. this to became corrupt and changed by man (this is blatanlty obviuos aswell), so the Quran was revelaed as the finall message which was promised to be unchanged.

Proud_Muslim said:
But who said to you that God sent only one prophet ?? we Muslims believe GOD or Allah ( the arabic name for God ) sent thousands of prophets and he sealed them with prophet Muahmmad (pbuh ).
Names and addresses please.

If God had sent thousands of prophets then where are they? Why did they fail? God could easily have chosen people who he knew, with his help, would succeed in spreading his message. Yet there is no sign of them.

All you can claim a few old prophets from the Bible all of whom seem to disagree with each other and Muhammad. For example, neither Abraham or Moses ever mention anything about an afterlife! Yet Jesus and Muhammad rant on about it all the time.

Did you read it ???
Yes. Though admittedly I rushed through it. There is nothing there that anybody of that time could not have said or known (especially the science).

So allah reveals himself to this person and that person and whenever he chooses. If somebody came to you right now and said that he is the next prophet from allah and he has more knowledge and messages from allah that was not given out before, would you believe him? Why do prophets have to be within a certain time period? There were prophets before jesus and mohammad came after jesus. Maybe there are still more to come. In that case you would have to believe in anyone who claims they are a prophet. Would you? Or do you prefer to pick and choose your prophets.

The sun reveals itself to everyone. Why can't allah?

Back