The morality of writing How to ... books

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
So a guy writes a Pedophile How to.... book and gets arrested in Florida. But these issues are protected under free speech. After all there are Anarchist books on How to make a bomb and such and nobody is arrested for that. There are How to avoid taxes books, How to disappear, How to kill a mockingbird.

So what makes the difference, comes the philosophical question?

So a guy writes a Pedophile How to.... book and gets arrested in Florida. But these issues are protected under free speech. After all there are Anarchist books on How to make a bomb and such and nobody is arrested for that. There are How to avoid taxes books, How to disappear, How to kill a mockingbird.

So what makes the difference, comes the philosophical question?

He wasn't arrested for his book. He signed a copy of his book and mailed it and that was what he was arrested for.

The book "Hitman" was dealt swift blows by civil courts and made illegal and unprintable. It outlines exactly how to become a hitman (and is on the Internet to download).

There is a limit to what you can write- pedophilia is definetly a fringe topic.

Is there really a difference in the morality regarding writing a "How to pick flowers" versus "How to become a hit-man"?

I mean, is it moral to tell another person "how to" do anything? I'd argue that the answer is clearly yes.

He wasn't arrested for his book. He signed a copy of his book and mailed it and that was what he was arrested for.

I think there is more to it. In certain states, nothing could be done against him. When he mailed it to another state where there was a statue against these kind of act, they acted against him. Or something like that....

Don't you hate when government throws you in jail for writing a book? :shrug:

I feel this quote is necessary: "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Kierkegaard

Back