The Inimitable Pope Francis Challenges the Warmongers

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Holy ... er ... um ... Something!
Pope Francis: Weapons manufacturers, investors thereunto, should not call themselves "Christian"

So, yeah, I kind of missed this one last week:

People who manufacture weapons or invest in weapons industries are hypocrites if they call themselves Christian, Pope Francis said on Sunday.

Francis issued his toughest condemnation to date of the weapons industry at a rally of thousands of young people at the end of the first day of his trip to the Italian city of Turin.

"If you trust only men you have lost," he told the young people in a long, rambling talk about war, trust and politics after putting aside his prepared address.

"It makes me think of ... people, managers, businessmen who call themselves Christian and they manufacture weapons. That leads to a bit a distrust, doesn't it?" he said to applause.

He also criticized those who invest in weapons industries, saying "duplicity is the currency of today ... they say one thing and do another."

(Pullela↱)

Okay, it is kind of hard to explain, in some circles, what makes this so fascinating. To the one, there are those who would go on to argue about guns. To the other, there are those who would huff at the thought of a Pope being able to say who is or isn't a Christian.

And, yes, those latter certainly have an arguable facet to grasp.

But what strikes me, put as simply as possible, is the manner in which this occasion addresses empowerment.

Oh. Did I say simply?

Maybe I meant concisely.

Or, you know, in as few words as possible.

Look, popes have been deciding who is and isn't Christian from the outset. This is what it is, and quite clearly in the modern era such a proposition seems preposterous; indeed, the question of who is and isn't Christian often seems a quarrel of self-righteous accusation.

But this time, aiming after one of the most pernicious influences in the world, whose basic mission is fundamentally incompatible with Christianity, there really is some manner of, "Holy shit! Did he just say that?" about this episode; note Philip Pullella's lede: "People who manufacture weapons or invest in weapons industries are hypocrites if they call themselves Christian, Pope Francis said on Sunday." This is something of an extrapolation, but seemingly within reason.

Still, though, compare that to the history of persecuting "heretics"―do you know why there are only four Gospels?°―or manipulating emperors, murdering accused witches in property seizures, and so on. Comparatively, history suggests that the Least of His Brethren suffer under His Church.

But ... this?

The thing is that it makes logical sense within the Christian paradigm; the idea of a war industry is itself repugnant within the context of the Savior's words.

Yet it does seem kind of silly, given all the other hypocrisies and cruelties in the Christian world, this pretense of disqualification through human inspiration.

But in a time that has seen the Church protect those who deny sacrament for the sake of personal, human judgment, and the persecution of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious―which His Holiness Pope Frances has ended―the idea that the Vatican is prepared to challenge the warmongers?

There seems something aberrant about this maneuver, and it seems to have something to do with empowerment. We might argue all we want about the pretense of authority; you know, like, He's the Pope! vs. Not Everybody's Catholic, Dude!. However, within the context of the Catholic Church, yes, he has the authority, and historically speaking, it really does seem as if this is one of those occasions when the challenge to another's Christian identity really does play to kindness toward the Least of His Brethren.

Notes:

Pullella, Philip. "Pope says weapons manufacturers can't call themselves Christian". Reuters. 21 June 2015. Reuters.com. 27 June 2015. http://reut.rs/1BXpG6I

On the General and Particular

"The Universe is the Practical Joke of the General at the Expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed."

Nor, I should note, did he mean what he said.

akoreamerican said:
no christian should define other christians, just pay attention to your relationship with christ

Perhaps you might be so kind as to at least attempt to explain the distillation of the general according to the particular?

If one profits by war, and influences societies in order to create wars, how does that affect one's relationship with Christ?

We're talking about fundamental incompatibility with, functionally polar opposition to, the very words of the Savior.

It is an interesting general assertion, but what is the particular detail?

Notes:

Image note: "Temperantia" ("Temperance"), at the grave of Peter of Verona in the Capella Portinari chapel at Sant'Eustorgio Church, Milan, Italy. (Detail of photograph by Giovanni Dall'Orto, 2007)

Perdurabo, Fr. "Onion-Peelings". The Book of Lies. 1912. PuggryDuckling.com. 28 June 2015. http://bit.ly/1LwvdmV

if was wrong for him to exclude them as non christians, he does not know their values or there reasons, intentions in going into this game

akoreamerican said:
if was wrong for him to exclude them as non christians, he does not know their values or there reasons, intentions in going into this game

Can you communicate to us some possible notion of how warmongering is specifically not directly incompatible with What Jesus Said?

What reasons or intentions could possibly trump What Christ Said?

i'm just saying you have to give the benefit of doubt, not to majority of them, i agree. but to say they are all not christian is extreme

Back