The improbable middle

francois

Schwat?
Registered Senior Member
The evolutionary process consists of adaptations in different phases. For example, irregularities in the topology of a morphology might develop into fins; fins may develop into limbs; limbs may develop into wings, etc.

I was always bothered by this because it seemed that there would be no way for an animal to bridge from one useful configuration to another. For example: flight. How could there be a stage in between limbs and fully functional fully developed wings? How in the world could a freak mutation that brings an animal one tiny step closer to true wings become favored in an environment?

One could almost personify evolution as encouraging progress: “I know it doesn’t make sense now, but trust me, it would be very wise to grow some feathers on this appendage and develop lighter bones.”

The truth is, adaptations have to be useful all of the time throughout the intermediary stages between major equilibriums in adaptations. I read about it a little bit and my curiosity was partially satisfied. For example, it makes sense that the intermediary stages that led to flight went something like this:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/flight/evolve.html
1. Wings evolved from arms used to capture small prey. (This seems rational, so we can ask whether the ancestral forms were actually doing this.)
2. Wings evolved because bipedal animals were leaping into the air; large wings assisted leaping. (This is possible; any amount of wing could assist leaping. Remember that we first need phylogenetic evidence for a bipedal running or leaping origin.)
3. Wings were used as sexual display structures; bigger wings were preferred by potential mates. (This is a non-falsifiable evolutionary hypothesis — we cannot test it.)
4. Wings evolved from gliding ancestors who began to flap their gliding structures in order to produce thrust. (This is reasonable and possible, but only with phylogenetic evidence for an arboreal gliding origin.)

It’s pretty amazing when you consider how fine-tuned our universe is; it allows for the evolution of carbon chemistry needed for the basic component molecules of life; and it allows for the evolution of extremely advanced and crafty replicators—genes. The anthropic principle satisfies me in this regard. But the extent of the role of middle-stages in evolution and the fact that they, time and time again, never cease to disappoint in creating larger and greater adaptations, baffles me.

I mean, how easy could it be in another universe for life to evolve to a point and get stuck? There would suddenly be a point where there’d be no immediate advantage to a replicator to evolve in a way that would in some arbitrary future time become something greater and more complex. The fact that in our universe, historically there has always been an immediate advantage to a middle-step, amazes me, considering how long the process has gone on and considering how complex we have gotten. It seems entirely possible that we may get stuck like we should have a long time ago, but I doubt it with our luck!

Francois, this would be best discussed in the biology area. This is philosophy. Evolution only has to do with philosophy when we speak of social Darwinism and maybe the Will to Power.

It seems to me that dinosaurs got stuck. They were around for about 150 million years and did not evolve much in the last 25 to 50 million.

Some of the simpler creatures seem to have found a permanent niche. How much have cockroaches, ants, and various other insects changed? They have been here for I think 100 million or more years without any significant changes.

I think they recently discovered a fossil in china which was a small dinosaur with feathers and no flying ability. It is considered an intermediate stage on the way to powered flight.

Small tree dwelling animals might have developed gliding ability due to an intermediate stage of leaping from one tree to another. Small animals are not injured by falls that would kill or seriously injure a large animal, so it is not counter-evolutionary for them to try making longer and longer leaps from one tree to another.

I wonder how much more humans will change, if they remain human, and aren't made extinct by some other entity. I wonder what constitutes a stabilization point in evolution.

Like you said, dinosaurs got stuck--they were pretty stable, but perhaps not as stable as other organisms like insects like cockroaches and ants. All of the really complex organisms like humans and primates and cetaceans are very new in the animal kingdom. It seems like this whole human stage is fleeting and transitional--very unlikely to last or be part of a stable point like dinosaurs and bacteria.
What would a stable point of intelligent life look like? By definition, that life would have reached a technological singularity--to the point where there would be no advancement. It would just stay the same.

Flight probably evolved independently many times in different ways. Dinosaurs flew using flaps of skin, probably started with gliding to jump away from predators. Maybe it started with the feathers that evolved for warmth. Bats probably went the gliding route. Insects could use primitive wings for skimming across the surface tension of water. Even fish evolved to glide out of the water to escape predators (flying fish).

There is an idea that hasn't been disproven yet that sudden radical mutations are sometimes useful, and that innovations start in a single creature.

I think the reason evolution doesn't stabilize permanently is that the environment is changing constantly, and that there is an arms race happening between species.

Back